How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-07-2009
fashion elite

I love Christy but this cover is awful (she looks like jar jar binks). I don't blame her though. I blame the people at Vogue.

I am pleased to see they have included Cindy Sherman in this issue however... hopefully the rest of the editorial content makes up for the disastrous cover.

09-07-2009
V.I.P.

I still don't understand why Cindy Shermann is now in sooo many fashion magazines.
Did she understand the fashion magazines - due to the boringness of most art magazines - are a place to investigate ? Is this inclusion in fashion a new part of work ? Can I say my VP with her inside are piece of art ?

I'm really lost with her in fashion magazines ......

Could someone say if she has worked with fashion magazines before the 2000s ?
I know Nan Goldin had - though their work is different ... But Cindy Sherman ?

09-07-2009
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
I still don't understand why Cindy Shermann is now in sooo many fashion magazines.
Did she understand the fashion magazines - due to the boringness of most art magazines - are a place to investigate ? Is this inclusion in fashion a new part of work ? Can I say my VP with her inside are piece of art ?

I'm really lost with her in fashion magazines ......

Could someone say if she has worked with fashion magazines before the 2000s ?
I know Nan Goldin had - though their work is different ... But Cindy Sherman ?
I believe art and fashion go hand in hand. I don't think it is any surprise that she has crossed into the world of fashion. Perhaps she is in it for the money, who knows but I'd also like to say that i think it's biased for you to say that art magazines are boring. Not only biased but super vague and ironic since many fashion magazines include articles on contemporary art. Fashion itself is an art!

Last edited by JordanB; 09-07-2009 at 04:11 AM.
09-07-2009
earthbound

I think this cover looks horrible... Christy looks like a Stepford wife.

09-07-2009
fashion elite

also Cindy's work is very similar to that of fashion photography. Like fashion photography, her work is staged. She dresses up and plays 'characters' and creates this sort of aura to the atmosphere of her photographs. And I think it's refreshing to have an artist contribute their work to a magazine like US Vogue where most photographic editorials consist of blank backgrounds with models jumping.

09-07-2009
MON
V.I.P.

I thought it was the cast of NINE!? So September 2009 is a celebrity!? OMG!

tfs star

i am sorry, but i think there's not enough text on the cover. it would be nice if US Vogue brainstormed few more lines to drop all over the place. so far it looks very unconvincing.

09-07-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
but I'd also like to say that i think it's biased for you to say that art magazines are boring. Not only biased but super vague and ironic since many fashion magazines include articles on contemporary art. Fashion itself is an art!
We won't get into the Is Fashion an Art ? I have no specific answer ...

But yes art magazines are pretty boring ... well most of them ! I'm talking about the big ones who nowadays are just a place where galleries and museum promote their exhibitions. Things like October or indie fanzines ARE/WERE intersting. But things like Artforum and Art Press are to me nothing more than a big collage of advertisings ... Just open and Artforum from the 70s and one from now and you'll understand. There's no more dialogue, theoric texts are very rare etc. It's just reviews and reviews of exhibitions ... And even the reviews are most of the time boring themselves, as it's pretty rare to read something with a real opinion. So there are still very interesting art magazines, but that's not where things happened most of the time today.

And yes Cindy Sherman has some links with one part of fashion photography ... But what interest me is that it's still a new support for her to express herself ... She's doing photos that she exhibits in art galleries, she does photograph and then exhibit them in a fashion magazine (see a Vogue Paris ...) ... Sorry but I think that's something worth paying attention to ! For someone like Cindy Sherman, at least.

09-07-2009
V.I.P.

I hope next time they could do a feature for 70's..like Carmen Dell'Orefice

Rhoda Addict

I like only because it has a model on cover!!!!!!!!!!!

09-07-2009
V.I.P.

Christy looks gorgeous but I don't like the cover.

09-07-2009
tfs star

Quote:
And yes Cindy Sherman has some links with one part of fashion photography ... But what interest me is that it's still a new support for her to express herself ... She's doing photos that she exhibits in art galleries, she does photograph and then exhibit them in a fashion magazine (see a Vogue Paris ...) ... Sorry but I think that's something worth paying attention to ! For someone like Cindy Sherman, at least.
i believe that in case of VP it was more about its celebrated irony and humor rather than any sort of cultural/social observation. as for US Vogue i have no idea of what was the intention.
but you may be right - things just don't happen without any reason. even more so, as you can easily spot references to Sherman's work here and there in fashion publications (think of the edit Christina Kruse shot and styled for Interview last winter). i think the reason why Sherman is so interesting to fashion world is that her work exploiting visual cliches and stereotypes feels somehow very organic to the very core of fashion - expressing your self (or imitating one) with the help of designer goods and memorabilia. but at this point, there's a big threat of not digging deeper into her imagery and taking these pictures as they are - a mock-up of an aging woman playing wicked dress-up. to some extent, very often fashion titles are okay with just that. but what do we expect? this is a one superficial business gimmicking a needed dose of intellectualism.

09-07-2009
V.I.P.

I like their choice of cover star, and the cover's a nice shot - but what's with all that text on the left hand side? Is there really any need to put every age on the cover..

09-07-2009
V.I.P.

All that Yoga training must be useful for squeezing into the tiny space beside the
blah blah blah
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 10!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 20!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 30!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 40!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 50!
RANDOM SOMETHING AT 60!
[place model here]

It looks like a horrible error message - a magazine version of Windows bluescreen crash

And Christy, did she just wake up in a morgue?

Last edited by sethii; 09-07-2009 at 05:45 AM.
09-07-2009
backstage pass

OMG! I thought the cast of nine was going to be on the cover? this is amazing I can't breathe!!!!!!!! although the cover seems off... I'm super glad it's christy!!!!!!!! my fave super I can't wait for this!!!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, august, christy, klein, steven, turlington, vogue