How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite
Vogue US 32 22.38%
Bazaar US 46 32.17%
W US 45 31.47%
Vanity Fair US 6 4.20%
Interview 12 8.39%
V 2 1.40%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

06-12-2010
backstage pass

I dont know why people kinda dislike American Vogue.
American Vogue is classic, great stylists, models, photographers and great quality editorials.
I'd prefer Vogue too.

American Harper's Bazaar has become a disaster lately. Honestly, I'd prefer American Elle.
HBs editorials are bad and boring BORING! And its December 2010 Katy Perry cover is awful.
Sometimes just random celebrities on the cover unlike Vogue, which are beautiful and smart. For example, Natalie Portman on Vogue and Megan Fox on Harpers Bazaar. (It doesnt mean Megan is a bad girl, but I mean her look and her acting stuffs)

I mean.. wake up, and look aroud, Glenda Bailey! Hello?

However, I think it depends on editors also.
Harpers Bazaar UK is AMAZING! I'd prefer HBUK than VOGUEUK especially lately.
Yeah.

06-12-2010
you soft and only

Funny how you complain about Megan Fox being on a Harper's Bazaar cover and then you proclaim your love for UK Harper's Bazaar, considering that Megan's only HB cover has been with HBUK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
I love the effort of Harper's Bazaar but it's always the same IMO.
I don't think the word "effort" belongs in the same sentence as Harper's Bazaar. It's obvious to me that nobody puts effort into that magazine. Why would you when you can put on Jennifer Aniston and get the best selling issue in 5 years though.

Last edited by blueorchid; 06-12-2010 at 07:39 AM.
06-12-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
Funny how you complain about Megan Fox being on a Harper's Bazaar cover and then you proclaim your love for UK Harper's Bazaar, considering that Megan's only HB cover has been with HBUK.
Oh.. Whatever :p
OK.. Change from beautiful Megan to Miley Cyrus. She was on HBUS cover once. I RMB.

tfs star

Well, at least in Spain I prefer Bazaar. But I never read US Vogue or US Bazaar, so I don't know...

tailored

covers: even though us vogue recycles through the same people, they have stepped up their game with some new faces this year. and while bazaar has had some great cover subjects, the overphotoshopping ruins it. edge: vogue

articles: this is a no-brainer to me; i'd rather read a great essay or a jeffrey steingarten piece than read about ashton kutcher sitting at runway shows or read anything written by bristol palin. edge: vogue

editorials: this is more closely contested imo...vogue can always be counted on for a steven meisel stunner, but the accessories eds can look stale month after month, and the themes also seem to be recycled. while at bazaar, the themes can be interesting bordering on genius. edge: bazaar

runway coverage: bazaar's coverage is clearly more in-depth than vogue's, with many runway images and features on trends in fashion and hair/makeup. edge: bazaar

intangibles: vogue has andrť leon talley and bazaar has derek blasberg, vogue has a better stable of stylists & photographers (although that doesn't always translate to better editorials), vogue runs/supports the cfda fund, the met gala, and then vogue has anna wintour. edge: vogue

Last edited by kimair; 07-12-2010 at 12:33 AM.
06-12-2010
V.I.P.

I prefer US Vogue over US Bazaar and UK Bazaar over UK Vogue. Prefer Aussie Bazaar over Aussie Vogue too.

Glenda's gone and screwed US Bazaar up IMO.

06-12-2010
clo
V.I.P.

I like both US Bazaar and US Vogue for different reasons. Vogue tends to repeat its cover subjects but the pictures are usually great. Bazaar's newsstand covers can be a photoshop mess but the subscribers' covers are always quite good. If I want a simple, straightforward editorial about what a modern woman would wear today, I go for Bazaar. If I want dreamlike editorials and escapism, Vogue gives me all that. So both magazines are quite good for me.

06-12-2010
V.I.P.

US Bazaar has gone downhill fast. Five years ago it was way better than Vogue. I just don't get what went wrong. I'm so glad I didn't renew my subscription (it was 2 years).

US Vogue is still not the best Vogue out there but you know that at least 6/12 issues will be a good read with fantastic photoshoots. Also Vogue has Grace whereas who does Bazaar have ???

Overall I prefer UK Vogue and Bazaar to their US counterparts. UK Elle is also WAY better than US Elle while we are at it.

06-12-2010
front row

US VOGUE! Harper's Bazaar has always looked... dare I say it... cheap to me.
And Vogue's attention to detail is like no periodical out there today. You can really tell so much work has been put into one issue.

07-12-2010
front row

Let's say this year Vogue is better than Bazaar, but Bazaar is brave, to change their looks.

no tom ford, no thanks.

honestly, i could not read one without the other. and i could not read either except counter-balanced with elle magazine. vogue is about FASHION. it's inspirataional. it's self-serious. it's bold. it's unapologetic. harper's bazaar helps bring that lofty idea of fashion into the real world. its editorials discuss not only how to wear outrageous runway pieces in a realistic way, but it places them within the context of a very fashionable lifestyle (whether it takes the form of celebrity, socialite, or 'everyday' woman).

while vogue pushes me outside of my comfort zone -- who would wear that with that hair doing that pose in that place -- harpers bazaar brings the fashionable within my comfort zone.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bazaar, fair, interview, vanity, vogue