How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-01-2011
fashion elite

i honestly didnt think this was even possible but i think i might dislike us vogue even more now. i thought i was already at my hate limit with this mag but then anna wintour busts out this zombie and voile! a whole new level of loathing!

15-01-2011
V.I.P.

#132 I am glad Kristen got the cover though I am not sure how much I like it. She looks very different than usual. Pretty, but not like herself.

15-01-2011
V.I.P.

^Because they photoshopped her so much.

The best way to describe the Kristen cover and "editorial" is inspiration-less.
It's completely without any kind of thought, feeling, inspiration.
I think they just did it to increase sales.

Thank goodness for the Arizona and DKNY spread or this issue would be a complete bust.

15-01-2011
scenester

I expect no thrill from a US Vogue cover, and this is another one that leaves me cold, i'm just waiting for the content. But about the cover girl choice i have to admit that I like Kristen Stewart's attitude towards fame. Despite the fact that she's young, pretty, and successful she doesn't play the (fake ?) game of being all smile and grateful. I like that it annoys a lot of people :p! And i also like that she's very stubborn about not spreading her private life, i just hope this is a rule she hasn't broken for Vogue !

16-01-2011
V.I.P.

I like the top! But am getting bored with US Vogue cover!

16-01-2011
rising star

I kind of like the cover... More excited for the editorials, previews are looking great!

16-01-2011
trendsetter

Wow ok, we're reviewing content of magazine and yet some of you act like you bought the damn issue . This is US Vogue and it's what I certainly thought would look like because it's a repetitive cover look Anna goes for. At least she using newer faces.

Yea I know majority of the board's dislike for Kristen is Twilight or not a "fashion forward" and makes the same faces but to be honest, it be a bland a** world to get it the way most want it.
Anna's done worse and had Sienna Miller on the September issue for crying out loud!

Kristen whether you like it or not has marketable appeal compared to a rising rookie model because people know who she is. Say whatever you want but the point is to sell.

16-01-2011
Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils View Post
Testino
That's Testino? I never would have guessed!

twitter.com/ErikP87
16-01-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whysper View Post
Say whatever you want but the point is to sell.
Yes, the point is to sell.

But bigger is to sell well consistently.

I doubt half of the loyal audience who frequently buys Vogue from newsstands will pick this issue.

By putting Kristen Stewart on the cover, Anna is alienating a very huge amount of Vogue loyal audience who for the most part are now accepting of the Nicoles, Cates, and Beyonces and are more than happy to read about them. Granted yes Vogue may (and probably will) sell well this month, but will the people who buy this issue for Kristen Stewart will also buy the next issues that features cover models who could not be more different from Kristen? I don't think so. From what I've seen, most of Kristen's die hard fans could hardly be called the "Vogue types". Cosmo-girl maybe.

And marketable appeal? I've heard the same thing about Taylor Swift.

Someone should suggest to Anna to feature Lady Gaga in every issue since she was the biggest selling cover girl in 2010. Now that's marketable appeal.

17-01-2011
front row

well this is commercial...

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroi View Post
I doubt half of the loyal audience who frequently buys Vogue from newsstands will pick this issue.
Is it realistic to assume that Kristen Stewart will be a tacky enough choice to turn away half of Vogue's loyal audience? I'm not so sure. Most loyal Vogue readers choose to look past the cover (and boring celebrity interview) now. That seems to be the case from what I've read in this forum anyway...

And thinking about my Vogue purchases in the past, I ended up supporting some awful cover stars because I wanted the rest of the magazine (The Spice Girls, Britney Spears, Gwen Stefani, Lisa Marie Presley, Brooke Shields...).

17-01-2011
you soft and only

^

Exactly. Most people who buy Vogue are aware of what it contains. It's easy to ignore a boring actress feature (I do it all the time) and appreciate what it contains.

Frankly at this point people are hating on Vogue US just to hate it. There could be an impeccable issue with a model (that isn't Kate, Gisele, Natalia) and with edgy Vogue Italia/Paris-esque editorials and people would STILL hate it just because it's from this magazine.

It's easy to hate this magazine every month when you don't even look beyond the cover.

17-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
^

Exactly. Most people who buy Vogue are aware of what it contains. It's easy to ignore a boring actress feature (I do it all the time) and appreciate what it contains.

Frankly at this point people are hating on Vogue US just to hate it. There could be an impeccable issue with a model (that isn't Kate, Gisele, Natalia) and with edgy Vogue Italia/Paris-esque editorials and people would STILL hate it just because it's from this magazine.

It's easy to hate this magazine every month when you don't even look beyond the cover.
This is all a very good point. Not to mention, people have SUCH a little box of what is considered "high fashion." Does it have to be crazy and edgy? Absolutely not. A simple editorial can be very high fashion and great if it's done correctly.

trendsetter

Fashion is subjective, and whomever they decide to put on the cover is the same regardless. That was my point I was trying to get across.
Cosmo girls, really? I've been a loyal Vogue follower for years and what I meant that even though Kristen may not be everyone's cup of tea, she's got credibility.

Before the "Twilight" hype, she's been in a few fashion spreads before and was perfectly fine in them like her Vogue Italia editorial by Bruce Weber or her Gap ad.

17-01-2011
tfs star

as much as Kristen's face bores me, i might admit this is a very nice cover, her face a pose kind of look good and she's looking good in proenza.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, february, kristen, mario, stewart, testino, vogue