How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-01-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Cyruss View Post
Storm Troupers
Photographer: Annie Leibovitz
Models: Karlie Kloss, Kasia Struss, Arizona Muse, Liu Wen, Joan Smalls & Chanel Iman
Styling: Tonne Goodman
Hair: Julien D'Ys
Make-Up: Stéphane Marais
Nails: Megumi Yamamoto

Digital Edition Vogue US 02/2013
History without text

vogue.com

16-01-2013
front row

only vogue us would find the "glamour" in hurricane freaking sandy. unbelievably tacky. the firemen and policemen in the shots look like "yeah...we know.."

16-01-2013
V.I.P.

What a breakthrough for Jasmine Tookes and Kasia Struss. Kasia must be a new favourite of Anna's to be so prominently featured throughout the issue.

I'm surprised over the responses to Storm Troupers. I don't know what to think. A nice, moving editor's letter from Anna would have done the trick. One one hand I have to hand it to American Vogue for taking recognition on such an awful situation. Then on the other, I don't think the pictures by themselves do the magazine justice. Vogue have glossed over the events, getting models to pose amongst the debris, wearing over-priced designer clothes. To me it just sends out the wrong message, but I want to understand the meaning of the feature. Maybe when I have the issue at hand and once I've read the article, I will have a clearer judgement.

This issue seems to be one of those 'two steps forward.. four steps back' ones. From what I'm seeing the stories are weak and lackluster. It's lacking the real fashion.. even with an American theme running through. There's no life or real movement. Rooney's picture are bland and meek. Amber by Peter Lindbergh is forgettable too.

don't look down

In terms of Storm Troupers, to me, it's another moment where Anna Wintour proves she can exercise poor judgement in terms of what content she chooses to print. But I'm sure someone at Vogue would merely say I'm lacking in imagination if I can't see the celebratory dimension that expensive clothes and cosseted models bring to the scenario of a devastating natural disaster and the life-and-death work of the emergency services.

trendsetter

I don't what to think of the Storm Trouper editorial. As horrible as Hanicane Sandy was, there was still some lovely photography that emerged from it. (But then, it was it in the context of 'we survived this storm' and 'only a storm could do this to NYC, not anything human.) (I'm referring to those photographs showing Times Square empty of people, of the city half in dark, etc.)

The editorial though....I don't get that feeling. It actually have the same cluelessness to it that the Olympic editorials had. Big evening gowns interposed next to athletes getting down and dirty: one didn't correspond with the other. I think both editorials also point out how narrow Anna and company have gotten in their definition of this fashion. These eds show "I'm going to the Met Ball" fashion rather than $1000 t-shirt and old worn jeans, street-wear type fashion that would work better in an editorial like this.

16-01-2013
fashion insider

Vogue just lacks that something special that I use to look forward to every month. I don't know whether it is a lack of relevance or simply a lack of spirit & joy within the fashion world - I can't put my finger on it.
BTW the asthetic of beauty that Rooney Mara represents is just plain ugly to me.

16-01-2013
Mag Master

Letter from the Editor

Digital Edition Vogue US 02/2013

16-01-2013
tailored

i agree with the comments that say "storm troupers" is in poor taste...
i wouldn't have photographed the models with the policemen, first responders, etc. it just seems wrong, like ash92 said, the last thing i'm thinking about is fashion if i'm rebuilding…

if vogue wanted to focus on those who worked so hard behind the scenes, then do a feature on them, without the fashion or tie it in to the vogue/sandy auction…

i like the idea of "here comes the night" but the execution is flat…
it would have been cooler to photograph it on the streets of new york, queens, staten island, new jersey, and show how the city is bouncing back or needs help...

dare i say the best thing about this issue is caroline trentini's ed...

V.I.P.

Either Vogue believes its readers have no attention span for anything that doesn't feature pretty dresses, or it's delusional enough to think that this editorial represents a return to normalcy for tragedy-stricken New York. You know, 'We're back on our feet and back in our designer garments...' Too bad the first responders who helped make that possible are treated like set dressing, as a result of this absurd concept

It just seems totally out-of-touch, to the point of hilarity.

Mr. Zhivago

If the editorial feaured both the working New Yorkers on their own, no models - and then photos of the models by themselves amongst New York setting... That wouldn't have been in so much bad taste as we see here. These people deserve recognition but in this editorial they're only getting it if a model hangs off them or stands above them posing and staring off into space.

If they're lucky Vogue Italia will come along with their own poorly devised editorial or theme to pull away attention

17-01-2013
V.I.P.

That hurricane editorial reminds me of that Ugly Betty episode with the tornado except this time, it could've actually been prevented.

17-01-2013
V.I.P.

There's nothing Vogue could have changed to justify Storm Troopers, with the exception of cancelling it. This is poor judgement on Wintour & Leibovitz.

V.I.P.

thank you for the digital print...good issue like rooney mara on the cover!

17-01-2013
V.I.P.

on Storm Trouper edit...I find it strange that Liu Wen is caressing that lady's hair instead of a baby.

17-01-2013
you set the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer~ View Post
Either Vogue believes its readers have no attention span for anything that doesn't feature pretty dresses, or it's delusional enough to think that this editorial represents a return to normalcy for tragedy-stricken New York. You know, 'We're back on our feet and back in our designer garments...' Too bad the first responders who helped make that possible are treated like set dressing, as a result of this absurd concept

It just seems totally out-of-touch, to the point of hilarity.
My thoughts to a T. If nothing else it's just totally unnecessary-- why bring the two subjects together? As in, just leave it alone because it's totally out of your sphere, Vogue. You can rationalize it using carefully-worded intros and feature 'real people' in the editorial to ground it, but it's all laced with ridiculousness anyway. Looking at some of those models posing their asses off alongside these admirable people... it takes the focus off of those who deserve it, and makes the models come off as vain and a bit dumb.

What really frustrates me is that Vogue is going to brush off any criticism in the typical fashion industry way, like we're just random onlookers who don't get the point.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, david, february, mara, rooney, sims, vogue