US Vogue February 2018 : Serena Williams by Mario Testino - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

1 Week Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
I actually think Serena herself looks wonderful on the cover. I do have a problem with how she's holding the child. Seems so cold and distant, as if it were an accessory or an afterthought. Makes for an awkward composition too. That last shot of them two where she's wearing a navy dress would've been a better cover. It looks much more intimate.
I was afraid to be the first to say the child looks like a prop she has no connection with. She looks like a bodybuilder demonstrating her physical prowess by showing us how she can hold a baby with no effort.

In the context of Vogue US, that is clearly just a lifestyle magazine, it’s quite a fresh happy image of Serena, i like it, sans baby it would be quite a nice cover.

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 1 Week Ago at 02:55 PM.
1 Week Ago
backstage pass

Though I do agree with the comments about it looking like a People cover, I still really like it! Serena looks beautiful in the shots

1 Week Ago
don't look down

I love all the red, and the sight of a true champion on the cover - but I have absolutely no interest in babies or any sort of celebrity pyjama party celebrating the fact.

That said, one of the premier sportswomen in the world adjusting to additional roles as a wife and mother probably makes for a far more interesting read than most of the promotional blurb that get churned out in the magazine.

1 Week Ago
tfs star

I think that Anna realized that 50 SOG it's a terrible franchise, and that's the reason that we don't see Dakota here. I don't know if Serena is Vogue material, but I want to hug her! She looks adorable, and her child maybe is the first baby to appear on the cover of American Vogue (take that Kaia but still love you)

1 Week Ago
front row

I personally love the cover. I don't know why people on here always seem to forget that American Vogue is a commercial magazine and this is something that I imagine it's audience will respond very positively toward. Serena looks beautiful and the shot with her family is lovely!

1 Week Ago
trendsetter

When I saw this, I couldn't believe it. Is Anna's vision so limited now she's running the same people on covers every month? Should we expect Jennifer Lawrence to get the March 2018 cover and if not her Gigi Hadid? Anna is stuck in a bad rut where being innovative is nonexistent.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

I think this is stunning. I love literally everything about it, from Serena's gorgeous smile, to that flawlessly sculpted Versace, to the red lip and Whitney-circa-1988-hair, to Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr's adorable face and balled up fist.

It's perfectly executed, in my opinion. And, frankly, Serena Williams is literally the greatest female athlete in modern history. She is an inspiration for millions and millions of people across the globe, she's well-liked by her peers within her industry and she's always maintained a relationship with Vogue and people within the fashion industry.

Serena Williams will always be Vogue worthy and, in fact, Vogue is honoured and elevated by having her.

scenester

Despite it being so pedestrian it makes my eyes glaze over... I lowkey like the cover. That Versace dress is working wonders on her. I just wish the baby was looking at the camera

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Completely agree with the cover looking more suited to a magazine like Vanity Fair, People or US Weekly but I like it. As much as his work has arguably been on a decline lately, I always like to see Mario Testino shooting for American Vogue and I love how fresh this cover feels for February.

backstage pass

boring is worse than ugly in my opinion. so i rather a hideous yet bold cover than a lifeless look from People magazine

1 Week Ago
front row

i do not like ze baby's with ze fashions. I wouldve loved this without the munchkin.

1 Week Ago
fashion icon

It's a very strange picture. You have her in this sexy dress with her boobs pushed up into outer space with a baby glued to one of them, and on top of that she's giving a cheeky smile. It's all so random. I certainly won't be buying this issue for her so the rest of the content better be good!

trendsetter

I like the red and Serena's make up is pretty, but, that's about it.
When I was a kid my Mom use to get 'Lady's Home Journal' magazine, and the cover and editorial look like they were pulled straight out of that magazine.
This doesn't look fashion, lifestyle, or even celebrity worthy.

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Looks like Doutzen is in it with her family...

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

^Great set of pictures. Especially love the second shot. So atmospheric.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2018, february, mario, selena, serena, testino, vogue, williams