How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-12-2012
V.I.P.

Wow Karen & Carolyns edit is beyond amazing, Klein at his best, for me this makes the entire issue amazing. That last shot of karen in the Dior dress laying in the flowers is absolutely wicked. This is what i want to see more of in Vogue, less studio edits.

20-12-2012
clever ain't wise

Yeah, I've never thought about it, but Karlie's got some rather bad hair, doesn't she? Thin, wispy, doesn't even seem to respond to the best of hair stylists....what is up with that.

20-12-2012
V.I.P.

Overall, an ok issue. Aside from, Hothouse Flowers, which I think is amazing, it's a typical January issue.

front row

I enjoyed Edie in Material Girls, she definitely looks more youthful than Karlie in the ed, but then again that is her aesthetic - didn't she have an ed in British Vogue where she played Jean Shrimpton or something? On the other hand I really dislike Cara, and I just knew she'd feature in US Vogue sooner or later + that L.V collection is so ugly!

Hothouse Flowers is a Klein classic

20-12-2012
V.I.P.

edie looks soo amazing! i love the styling she is perfect for this

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Yeah, I've never thought about it, but Karlie's got some rather bad hair, doesn't she? Thin, wispy, doesn't even seem to respond to the best of hair stylists....what is up with that.
Maybe that's why Vogue always puts her in wigs

22-12-2012
backstage pass

This issue is so thin =_=

trendsetter

^ I agree and the article about gwen stefani is terrible too.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofVERSAILLES View Post
Why does it matter what she's promoting anyway? Personally, I'm sick of the notion that a magazine's cover star is bought by the publicity team of whatever film/album/whatever they're releasing. And honestly, how effective can it be? I doubt anyone went to see The Dark Knight Rises because Marion Cotillard was on the cover of the August issue of Vogue.

As a fan of Gwen, I think the cover is great and will really stand out from the crowd at newsstands. She looks lovely, it has a nice holiday-ness to it, and I'm eager to read her interview!
Hear! Hear!

She's a style icon, imo, creates and plays with fashion in her own way. She's not "styled" like so many stars, and thus she brings a freshness that I think can be missing otherwise.

I still wish they'd use more models!! on Vogue US covers, but Gwen is a nice change from actresses, at least for me.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
26-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
I enjoyed Edie in Material Girls, she definitely looks more youthful than Karlie in the ed, but then again that is her aesthetic - didn't she have an ed in British Vogue where she played Jean Shrimpton or something? On the other hand I really dislike Cara, and I just knew she'd feature in US Vogue sooner or later + that L.V collection is so ugly!

Hothouse Flowers is a Klein classic

Edie is a stand out - just LOVE her!! I hope we see more and more of her in magazines; she has a unique look.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
26-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
The editorials are looking gorgeous this month! But the article with Gwen was blah. Some parts of it were nice but it's definitely not one of Vogue's better cover stories. And I think it's terrible that the only thing that the author thinks is wrong with No Doubts recent scandal is that, "the video's only crime as far as I can tell is that it looks like something Cher cooked up." It's just very dismissive and a shame that he didn't get to ask her about the video, I think if Gwen and the band had talked about the issue of cultural appropriation then I'd have more respect for them. And it would have made for a more interesting article too.
Yes, they definitely could have addressed it more explicitly since I think the band were truly apologetic, albeit after the fact. They did release this statement on their website:

Quote:
“As a multi-racial band our foundation is built upon both diversity and consideration for other cultures. Our intention with our new video was never to offend, hurt or trivialize Native American people, their culture or their history. Although we consulted with Native American friends and Native American studies experts at the University of California, we realize now that we have offended people. We sincerely apologize to the Native American community and anyone else offended by this video. Being hurtful to anyone is simply not who we are.”
I suspect more discussion of this issue could have only helped the article's depth and scope. I agree.

27-12-2012
fashion icon

^No Doubt did seem apologetic so that's why I was a bit surprised that they didn't include a discussion about the issue in the article. It's a shame because Vogue has on occasion tackled "tough" issues in cover stories and it certainly would have provided more depth and interest surrounding the article. Plus, it could have been a way to sell more copies too, if they made it a tagline or something, it could've caught the media's attention. Anyways, it's their loss.

V.I.P.

UHQ

gofugyourself

V.I.P.

I really really really like this cover!!!

31-12-2012
V.I.P.

A new picture from "Hothouse Flowers"

vogue.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, annie, gwen, january, leibovitz, stefani, vogue