US Vogue January 2016 : Alicia Vikander by David Sims - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
12-12-2015
front row

I really like this! Finally something new and different from US Vogue! This cover looks international.

12-12-2015
cape cod kwassa kwassa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.C. View Post
We always hear how actresses sell more but how is she more famous than a model? Does her name really register to a large audience?! On top of that they made her look like Liya Kebede.
I agree with this. Even most of my cineaste friends don't know her well. A forgettable cover, for me.

12-12-2015
front row

I like it!! something Fresh

12-12-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.C. View Post
We always hear how actresses sell more but how is she more famous than a model? Does her name really register to a large audience?! On top of that they made her look like Liya Kebede.
I donīt think sheīs that famous yet but maybe LV bought more ad pages in order to have their model on the cover, so it evens out

12-12-2015
V.I.P.

Fresh and less predictable than expected, so even if I'm not enamored with the cover, the actress/photog combo works nicely for me. Is she wearing LV?

12-12-2015
V.I.P.

It truly is something fresh, vibrant and for once this looks like a FASHION magazine. I don't get why they use David Sims so rarely, this has the same vibe of the cover stories he did with Rooney and Rihanna which were equally great and MILES better than the usual crap by Testino and Leibovitz.

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
12-12-2015
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercification View Post
Fresh and less predictable than expected, so even if I'm not enamored with the cover, the actress/photog combo works nicely for me. Is she wearing LV?
yes, spring 2016

vogue.com

12-12-2015
V.I.P.

OK, once again, I'm completely out of touch! I have no idea who she is. Either way, I like the cover, love the styling, but the movement in her hair just ruins it.

V.I.P.

On one hand, I admire how the image is so different from American Vogue's standard cover aesthetic. Plus, I admire the fact Alicia's never fronted Vogue before. While on the other, I dislike how 'fashion editorial' Alicia's cover story feels. We've seen this a thousand times with the likes of Caroline Trentini. I wouldn't care, Alicia always photographs beautifully (The cover of Love and American Elle - loved those two). Yet along with this Vogue cover and British Bazaar, I'm underwhelmed.

tfs star

I think this is SO good for US Vogue, simply by virtue of it being so different from their usual work, at least when it comes to covers and actress editorials. Despite being mostly grey and with a simple layout, the cover really pops. Styling is fun and seasonally appropriate. Alicia's career is on fire right now and it's a great first cover for her.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed.. View Post
I agree with this. Even most of my cineaste friends don't know her well. A forgettable cover, for me.

If Vogue puts an actress on the cover who is a household name, it's a boring choice. If they choose a fresh face, they didn't choose someone famous enough. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I think this is a very rare occasion where Vogue is choosing an actress for their cover who is not yet well known but will be very soon. Alicia's just started to pick up award nominations for her work in The Danish Girl, she's almost certain getting an Oscar nomination and she already got a Golden Globe nomination, so the kind of people who read Vogue are the kind of people who pay attention to the red carpet and awards shows (generally speaking). Great timing for her to be on a cover. Then later this year she's in the hotly anticipated new Bourne movie with Matt Damon and the awards-bait adaptation of "A Light Between Oceans" with Michael Fassbender. She's headed straight to the A-list. Plus, she has some fashion cred from her LV campaign.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
All that grey makes me feel cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamorousBoy View Post
what a sad, boring, gray start of the year...
Agreed! This along with that depressing charcoal Glamour cover with Tina Fey....

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
OK, once again, I'm completely out of touch! I have no idea who she is. Either way, I like the cover, love the styling, but the movement in her hair just ruins it.
So she's costarring with Eddie Redmayne in 'The Danish Girl'.
Maybe she's not as well known as other actresses, but that's fine by me.
Vogue US has introduced other actresses in the same way to their readers.
Predictable for Vogue US. I've noticed over the past few years, they reserve the January or February cover for potential Oscar nominees, or who they push for the nomination ( Meryl Streep a couple years back, Sienna Miller for American Sniper).

But, this cover is so drab and grey for me. And I'm surprised!, nobody tans like that now a days. It's not healthy.
The look seems really out of date.

12-12-2015
trendsetter

Well Alicia's edit looks magnificent, lots of personality.

12-12-2015
everything sucks!

Interestingly, Alicia is also on the cover of UK Bazaar January. The general wisdom seems to be, if you're on a British Vogue/Elle/Bazaar cover for month X, you won't be on US Vogue's cover month X. Has this ever happened before?

12-12-2015
V.I.P.

Wow, she looks f-ing dorky.

In Ex Machina she was a breathtaking natural beauty, yet nobody seems to be able to channel that in print. Though her Pippa Middleton-esque spray tan doesn't help matters.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2016, alicia, david, january, sims, vikander, vogue