US Vogue January 2018 : Lupita Nyong'o by Mikaeal Jansson - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

6 Days Ago
trendsetter

US Vogue January 2018 : Lupita Nyong'o by Mikaeal Jansson

source: eBay member kevinkkelly1

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

This one will most surely appear in an 2050s online article about awkward magazine covers from 2010s.

6 Days Ago
fashion insider

Man oh man. All I can think of is how great Christy Turlington’s yoga cover was.

6 Days Ago
tfs star

Models exist for a reason. As much as I like Lupita, I wish Vogue would give covers to other talented women of colors.

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

SUPYoga, all the rage right now! Anyway, I thought the shape issue was in April?

It's certainly eye-catching, but I'm as tired of Lupita as I am of Rihanna. She's overrated, 4th Vogue cover???? It seems Anna merely replaced her old pets with new ones.

6 Days Ago
MON
V.I.P.

There’s a strong disconnect with everything. The pose is fun, the background looks fun, but her face looks so stiff (she’s gorgeous don’t get me wrong). I wish they chose a photo where she was smiling or laughing to lighten up everything! You have “feel-good” near her face, while meanwhile, she looks uncomfortable as hell. This looks less of a Yoga pose, and more of a praying not to fall pose. What a wasted opportunity indeed.

Why on earth will they use silver? This looks so cold. This would’ve been better with gold or red! But if the purpose was to make Lupita pop out, then job well done I guess.

Last edited by MON; 6 Days Ago at 05:09 AM.
6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

I can’t help but think it looks like someone told to do a Yoga pose rather than someone who actually does Yoga, doing a Yoga pose. If that makes sense... Not all that convincing, but the colour scheme is nice for January I guess.

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
There’s a strong disconnect with everything. The pose is fun, the background looks fun, but her face looks so stiff (she’s gorgeous don’t get me wrong). I wish they chose a photo where she was smiling or laughing to lighten up everything! You have “feel-good” near her face, while meanwhile, she looks uncomfortable as hell. This looks less of a Yoga pose, and more of a praying not to fall pose. What a wasted opportunity indeed.

Why on earth will they use silver? This looks so cold. This would’ve been better with gold or red! But if the purpose was to make Lupita pop out, then job well done I guess.
Completely agree with you, although in Lupita's defense, there's just no way do do a perfect tree pose on a SUP (with the heel hiked up to cover the blank space below her crotch.) It's virtually impossible for even the most seasoned yogi.

They've done splendid metallic covers in the past which looked lively. Charlize, most recently Daisy. This one looks cold, lifeless and sterile indeed. I don't know who shot this one, but I'm guessing it's Leibovitz because she's very outdoorsy.

Last edited by Benn98; 6 Days Ago at 06:10 AM.
6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Wow, what a let down! I mean i am so over her on Vogue (can we get her a solo W cover?), but the woman photographs like a dream, so what is this? How did they do her so wrong? All her previous covers were fantastic to me, but nothing works here! Her face is tense, and i bet Annie shot this!

6 Days Ago
don't look down

2018 must be the time to look cold and unhappy while doing something pointless.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
It seems Anna merely replaced her old pets with new ones.
Totally, she has always done this! Just goes to show how little imagination she has!! I will say that i would rather have Lupita on the cover over Sienna.etc

I bet she has Dakota on the Feb cover for the third time.

6 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
It seems Anna merely replaced her old pets with new ones.
Yep, and I prefer the old ones. At least they looked good in pictures (they still do).

This is just weird. Awkward pose and expression and so not glamorous.

6 Days Ago
windowshopping

Lupita is stunning, the background and overall concept are nice and even that Dior dress isn't too bad, yet nothing seems to work here. Seriously don't get how they messed this up when they had all the right elements to make a good cover.

fashion insider

I LOVE Lupita, but even I had a 'wow, again' moment. It's annoying when magazines just use the same cover stars over and over again, even when I like them. I feel Lupita has had more Vogue US covers to date than actual movies.

6 Days Ago
front row

Why Lupita again...would love to see Viola Davis or Kerry Washington on the cover

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2018, jansson, january, lupita, mikaeal, nyongo, vogue