How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-06-2009
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
two years ago we actually thought sienna might be a breakout star. so much for that.

she had enough buzz to sell -- i mean, she did date jude law back then, and moved issues of most major tabloid glossies -- but no longer....
Sienna was also on the January 2006 cover. She wasn't dating Jude Law in 2007... they had already broken up for good in 2006.

16-06-2009
front row

^That's too much Sienna for one magazine in my opinion.

The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idyll View Post
^That's too much Sienna for one magazine in my opinion.
Well... it is what is. Three US Vogue covers for Sienna

16-06-2009
V.I.P.

Sienna Miller? really? no one cares Anna...

16-06-2009
V.I.P.

pages
how many pages this issue has please?

16-06-2009
front row

Glow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsha View Post

Please Do Not Quote Images. See
tFS Community Rules.

style.com
Sienna is looking good and she's glowing!

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 16-06-2009 at 12:40 PM.
16-06-2009
trendsetter

The concept of the cover is good, but it was very poorly executed. Sienna, instead of looking like a hip, sexy twenty-something actress, appears as a frumpy, matronly bridesmaid. I’m not sure if it is the severe, slicked back hair, the ill-fitting gown, or her unflattering expression, or maybe all three, but Sienna just looks extremely uncomfortable. How this particular shot made it to be the magazine cover is beyond me. I’ve seen better red carpet candids of her for chrissakes!

As for the contents of the magazine, VERY surprising. I am shocked that Anna has decided to christen Iris as one of the new crop of Vogue girls. Also, it is quite stunning to see a Terry Richardson-shot editorial in this issue, with Lily Donaldson, no less. Although I am very, very excited and proud to see the editors at Vogue embracing new talents, I think it is a tad bit thought-provoking that before she made it to Anna’s bible, Iris was all over both VP and VI. And we all know that Terry Richardson is practically VP royalty. There is no question that as of late, the editors at Vogue have been trying to give the magazine an edgier, more directional gloss. But also with this makeover, I have noticed that the same girls who have popped up in or made the cover of the European Vogues have been featured in U.S. Vogue editorials a few months after -Anna Selezneva, Natasha Poly, Lara Stone, Karlie Kloss, Edita V., and now Iris. While for the most part the edits in this issue carry the distinct American Vogue aesthetic (both the minimalist, styling-centered models in flight editorial to show off the seasons’ new clothes and the quirky, models around the city spread), the Terry Richardson edit with Lily has Vogue Paris written all over it (and that's probably why I absolutely adore it!). And this is not the first time I have seen something in American Vogue that has a very French Vogue tint. The May issue in particular was quite reminiscent of the oeuvre of Vogue Paris, particularly the Mario Testino party girl editorial. I may be over-thinking things and being much too critical (and bias), but it is no secret that Vogue Paris was always the more innovative, progressive magazine of the two, and now that US Vogue wants a new, trendier image, it wouldn’t be completely unthinkable that they would turn to the other Vogues (Paris and Italia) for inspiration. There is nothing wrong with that. I just don’t want U.S. Vogue to become a watered down, generic version of VP. I like this new, experimental route the magazine is taking, but I hope it maintains some of its previous aesthetic.

That said, the picture of Caroline in the scarlet gown and bauble necklace is REMARKABLE (even if the editorial it comes from is incoherent and lackluster)! Definitely my favorite of the whole issue! It would have made for a much more impactful cover than Sienna's, that is if they wanted to stick with the whole red dress motif !

Last edited by vavavinny; 16-06-2009 at 04:38 PM.
16-06-2009
clever ain't wise

^Well, I think you're right in that it starts to look more like VP, and VP incidentally starts to look a lot more boring. American Vogue might be watered down, but it's still a whole lot better than the House & Garden editorials with a Daria/Trentini thrown in here and there for good measure

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 16-06-2009 at 07:04 PM.
16-06-2009
trendsetter

^ I totally agree. I actually really like what I have been seeing in Vogue as of late, even if some of the casting and material is questionably borrowed. The editors have really found a way to mix things up and give the reader something totally unexpected. The magazine is actually beginning to look like what an American fashion glossy should. And for that I am very happy. This issue definitely surprised me and I hope future issues do as well.

Last edited by vavavinny; 16-06-2009 at 07:11 PM.
16-06-2009
V.I.P.

About Sienna Miller : She's very beautiful, but why she's always on cover? She hasn't accomplished anything so far to deserve a US Vogue Cover (as often). Beyoncé should have been more often in front of Vogue than Miller.

About the cover : Boring as usual (with the USA Power blue, white, Red - for the july 4th). Sienna usually did such great pix, but that one is so so.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiB View Post
About Sienna Miller : She's very beautiful, but why she's always on cover? She hasn't accomplished anything so far to deserve a US Vogue Cover (as often). Beyoncé should have been more often in front of Vogue than Miller.

About the cover : Boring as usual (with the USA Power blue, white, Red - for the july 4th). Sienna usually did such great pix, but that one is so so.
I think it's because she is one of Anna Wintour's favorite people to have on the cover. Anna does have favorites

Agrees, boring and notthing special.

17-06-2009
fashion insider

I love Sienna...but I don't like the cover much. I agree she looks a bit stunted in that pose.

I have to wonder...I know that majority of covers get leaked way before the sale date...but WHY is style.com posting the cover 2 weeks before its due to hit newsstands?
I don't understand it. Why not change the 'on sale' dates if they're always going to hit stands earlier than stated.

I only ask as the majority of Australian mags don't update their website until the issue is actually out.

17-06-2009
V.I.P.

Is it wrong if I say that I wanna buy this issue because of Jimmy Fallon?

17-06-2009
backstage pass

The eds are amazing! The cover is well back to the usual *eye roll

17-06-2009
backstage pass

fouroclock you are not alone I also adore the shot of Jimmy Fallon and Daria its spectacularly random yet hilarious

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, craig, july, mcdean, miller, sienna, vogue