How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-06-2012
fashion icon

^Trashy in those pics? Please. If that caption didn't say "Kate Upton" I don't think anyone would have recognized her.

21-06-2012
V.I.P.

^Exactly. I'm definitely not a Kate fan, but she looks so different (and so much better at that) in these pictures that saying they are trashy is completely uncalled for.

V.I.P.

The white background shots from Mario Testino's edit with Emma, are more pleasing than the others. Karlie's editorial does nothing for me. And I'm un-overwhelmed with Mert & Marcus' too. But the Alexander McQueen shot from David Sims' edit is astounding. Nonetheless, I've a bucketload of praise for American Vogue at the moment.

21-06-2012
she's got the look

^ I agree about Emma's spread. The white shots could've made incredible (and much better) covers, not to mention that it would be nice to see an US Vogue cover with a white background once in a while. It's been quite a long time.
I love Risky Business! When I saw the collections on the runway I didn't really like the 80's trend at first sight, but now it's really growing on me. Camilla's styling is fabulous and both girls are working on it! Kati's is also nice but easily forgettable.

Mag Master

Digital HQ
Risky Business
Photographer: Mert & Marcus
Models: Lara Stone & Joan Smalls
Styling: Camilla Nickerson
Hair: Christiaan
Make-Up: Lucia Pieroni
Set Design: Gerard Santos

vogue.com

29-06-2012
V.I.P.

Seriously what did this Kate Upton do? Kill a puppy. I just don't get the hate. Her ed looks good.

29-06-2012
you soft and only

^ She has the audacity to have breasts larger than an A-cup.

01-07-2012
God Save McQueen

^Indeed.

I think Kate can pull off the fashion look, as evident in this editorial. It's not surprising Vogue did something with her. We have all the VS models (Candice and Miranda never had successful high fashion careers) doing high fashion magazines and campaigns, why not Kate.

01-07-2012
V.I.P.

I really don't like when they give Lara that kind of hair & make-up. Why pink curly hair? Just makes me think of a clown...

V.I.P.

I like that M&M ed, but the girls are just not delivering it with their faces in most of those shots. Especially the first three images and the last one, they look amateur.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
At this point in time though, I really think it's an error to act like Vogue (and other fashion magazines, at least in the US anyway) are more meaningful than they are. Yes, they are centered around fashion, but for the past 10 years Vogue has really found it's place as a promotional machine for Hollywood. It's not hard to look at who was on Vogue which month and match that up to a movie that was about to be released. That's why the talk about "earning" a Vogue cover kind of bothers me. The only way an actress earns a Vogue cover is if she's pretty and in the right movie coming out in the right month. It's no coincidence that Emma Stone is on the cover when she's in a huge blockbuster that's coming out in early July.

I agree with this post. Most US magazines including Vogue are nothing but promo machines for the entertainment industry. I do like Emma and Karlie's eds.

Last edited by Trends; 02-07-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, emma, july, mario, stone, testino, vogue