How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-06-2012
V.I.P.

Kati

Can't wait to see the eds

15-06-2012
backstage pass

wow and OG ed for Kati styled by Grace is pretty major, no? And wow, Karlie keeps getting these OG spreads in the magazine. I guess that tweet from Lara some time ago about working with Joan was for this issue. Looking forward to it.

15-06-2012
V.I.P.

Its not heavy on eds, but then July never is. Although it sounds like those eds that are in there, could be lovely, happy to hear Kati got an OG ed, wow, always amazing to see new models made it in the book.

Thanks for the review darling surrealseven.

15-06-2012
tfs star

Kati by David Sims. Can't wait to see!!
I got it that Karlie is a great model and have nothing against her, but it becomes so expected to see her in every issue and boring at the same time.

fashion icon

I'm not sick of Karlie, but I'm kinda tired of her working with Testino. Can Anna surprise us & have her work with M&M please?

15-06-2012
V.I.P.

This issue seems amazing! I can't wait to see Lara and Joan together! M&M are amazing so I'm sure I'll love it.

15-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
The fact that nobody even knew who Jessica Chastain even was before or after The Help should tell you everything.
it doesn't matter about how long she had been noticed it's purely about talent, being nominated for an Oscar, 5 movies in 2011 and nominated for each one and winning various awards for them that tells everything. her upcoming projects are very promising and now new face of YSL perfume is more than enough to warrant major covers but they will come quick and fast, oh and a stunning beauty to boot.

as far as the models review only excited about Kati Nescher the rest are the same old, same old.

15-06-2012
fashion icon

^@ForChicSake- I agree, and nobody knew who Rooney Mara was before she got her cover.

15-06-2012
front row

well, not exactly. promotion of The Girl... started so long before the movie (W cover in Feb for example), that by November LOTS of people got to get to know about her.

15-06-2012
you soft and only

And, honestly, Rooney Mara's cover was less about Rooney Mara and more about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and David Fincher.

I kind of have to roll my eyes when people discuss actresses (or models) "deserving" Vogue covers, come on it's a magazine cover not the Nobel Prize.

15-06-2012
backstage pass

Emma is everywhere and I don't really find her interesting.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
I kind of have to roll my eyes when people discuss actresses (or models) "deserving" Vogue covers, come on it's a magazine cover not the Nobel Prize.
couldn't agree more, but sometimes I just can't help but wonder, why do they choose one star over another.

15-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
I as well find it incredibly ridiculous, and tiring all this yapping about who is "worthy", and deserving to be on the cover of Vogue, so much entitlement in some of these comments!

Its not, and has not always been about someones career achievements as a requirement for the cover. Like you said, its just a fashion magazine, even if it is considered "prestigious" to be on it. As far as I'm concerned, after Trump trophy wives, and the likes of Jessica Biel, its all wide open, and makes such discussions irrelevant, imo.

15-06-2012
front row

haha, it's funny you've mentioned Jessica, I was totally thinking about her while writing my comment above!

15-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:

I think I see your point, but I also see theirs. No, it's not a major achievement, but if you're on the cover of the foremost fashion magazine in the world with a rich history of influential and iconic people who've been on the cover, I think it's important for branding purposes to choose cover stars who've "earned" a place. It gets annoying when you see people who aren't even praised for their style to be on the cover just because they happen to have a movie coming out that month or something. Someone like Gwyneth Paltrow deserves Vogue covers, imo, because she's not just a famous, accomplished, award-winning actress, she's also known for several relatively famous red-carpet moments and generally the fashion world and designers approve of her style. Whereas someone like Halle Berry, also an award-winning, beautiful, and famous actress, doesn't so much deserve a cover, since I fail to see her relevance to the world of fashion. I'm sure people will disagree on those two examples, but that's just my opinion. The principal can be applied to whoever. To many readers, the cover (and who's on it) might not be a big deal, but to the people getting covers and the ones not getting covers, it can really help out (sometimes make) careers, especially with models. In the grand scheme of things, it's not something important to must of us, but I think it's worth a mention, if you're so inclined. I'm sure most TFS members have seen people on the covers of magazines and thought "what on earth are THEY doing on the cover?"

I don't generally say whether or not I think someone "earned" a cover, but when I see who got the cover every month I can't help thinking whether or not I think they deserve it. Have they paid their dues? Are they known for their style? Or is it just a random woman with something to promote who's been made to look pretty by the team at Vogue but has nothing, really, to offer the fashion-minded reader.

Regarding the cover itself, I quite like Emma Stone and I think this is a fairly good cover. I'd much rather she had her signature red hair, though.

Last edited by KINGofVERSAILLES; 15-06-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, emma, july, mario, stone, testino, vogue