US Vogue June 2012 : Hope Solo, Ryan Lochte and Serena Williams by Annie Leibovitz - Page 10 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines

14-05-2012
V.I.P.

Leibowitz´s editorial is definitely the worst. Every sportsman looks so unsporty there... very fake, almost like wax museum. Terrible. Then you look at Weber´s pic with running horse and running athlete and you can see a difference! Love it... Weber had shoot the cover and main editorial

Last edited by fincher; 14-05-2012 at 10:03 AM.
14-05-2012
V.I.P.

Overall I like this issue just for the athletes, I would of prefered solo eds with the three cover stars in their elements and an actual fashion shot. The cover doesn't look too great in HQ, in the first pic posted it looked better

Karlie posing next to the athletes are good shots but it fails miserably when they are showcasing their sport looks like they photoshopped her in. Would have been 100x better without her in those shots imho. Can't wait to see Serena's ed her body is pure power.

14-05-2012
V.I.P.

Joan's looks beautiful as always!!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
^ Are we even looking at the same bodies? What is wrong with them? Too muscualr? Too good looking?
Lack of their necks for example.. Or all those bumps called muscles So not sexy IMO
Or Karlie standing next to that midget...

14-05-2012
I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
Leibowitz´s editorial is definitely the worst. Every sportsman looks so unsporty there... very fake, almost like wax museum. Terrible. Then you look at Weber´s pic with running horse and running athlete and you can see a difference! Love it... Weber had shoot the cover and main editorial
That's what I like the most about the editorial. The surreal touch is very nice and not something you see often in Vogue US.

14-05-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by congacon View Post
well, people always complain about alt, but anna uses the same models over and over and over again.
This argument falls completely flat for me because while Anna uses a lot of the same girls repeatedly, this year Vogue US has used twice as many different models than Alt has used at Vogue Paris. In terms of variety, I'd say Vogue US is second only to Italia. There's a lot of opportunity to be in the US edition while Paris sticks to a relatively strict rotation of girls.

Karlie's editorial with the male athletes is the definition of "hit or miss" for me. I much prefer something like Raquel's editorial by Testino from the last summer Olympics because she is interacting with the athlete in each shot. A photo of Karlie and an athlete standing stock still next to each other? A waste of both of them, in my opinion. Not to mention boring.

14-05-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srdjan View Post
Lack of their necks for example.. Or all those bumps called muscles So not sexy IMO
These men are at the top physical shape in their life and you are complaining about how they aren't muscular enough? To be honest, I think we are looking at totally different pictures because they look plenty fit to me. Also, that "midget" is Jonathan Horton, one of the top athletes in gymnastics, and his size is a big reason why he's done so well. Being short in gymnastics is an advantage. I really don't mean to be rude, but I find the way you typed everything out so offensive (even though I'm sure you didn't mean to be). Have some respect for these men, they can do amazing fetes of athleticism because of their bodies and they shouldn't be expected to look like what hollywood deems muscular/fit.

there is no fear

It's veeery Vanity Fair. This does not look like Vogue at all. The placing and color of the text, sooo VF.

14-05-2012
front row

sorry karlie-but raquel did it so much better in 2008. she just looks so lifeless in every shot. not to mention all of those shots look like budget copy's of the 2008 shoot. thats one of the worst edits i've seen in vogue us all year.

14-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
These men are at the top physical shape in their life and you are complaining about how they aren't muscular enough?
I meant totally the contrary. All those muscles looks so unnatural and tacky, but I don't believe it's the tFS where this should be discussed (or at least this thread)..Like other members said, this would suited Men's Health or Shape magazine more, but everything is messed up nowadays.

14-05-2012
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srdjan View Post
Hmm. I'm pretty sure that athletes aren't trying to be sexy.

14-05-2012
frozen

muscles are not unnatural...
as others have said, to be an athlete, you need to be in top physical form, and it doesn't matter if your sport is tennis, gymnastics, swimming or even ballet...
if you have an issue with athletes being in vogue, well that's a different story...
sports are such a large part of american culture, and many athletes are involved in fashion, be it through their own lines or being at events with anna wintour (i instantly think of maria sharapova, novak, rafael nadal, roger federer, the williams sisters, etc.) so it makes sense that they be featured in vogue, especially in an olympic year...
although serena is a very popular tennis player, she is not the most successful right now...
this would have been the perfect opportunity for vogue to have featured a different female athlete...

the overall theme of the editorial is boring...it just looks played out...
i would much rather see a model interacting with the athlete rather than the athlete posing around karlie...
the harpers bazaar editorial with lucy liu throwing a javelin or the one with the williams sisters actually playing tennis in gowns comes to mind...

backstage pass

I find this issue quite refreshing.
Not for having Annie Leibovitz shoot it or recycling the female model + male athlete edit but for showcasing 3 athletes at the top of their respective sports (2 of whom aren't "famous", b/c let's face it Serena is the only one who is instantly recognizable to the average consumer).
As for those criticizing the issue for focusing on something other than fashion well I must say that fashion coverage can become quite monotonous so to spice things up every now and then is not a sin.

14-05-2012
V.I.P.

When I first saw the title I thought it said Han Solo and got all excited that it was a Star Wars theme or something. Sadly for me it's sports related.

Honestly I don't like it. I agree it looks like a Vanity Fair cover and would have been better suited for them. Karlie's ed has some great shots but I think I'll be giving this issue a miss.

14-05-2012
V.I.P.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, annie, hope, june, leibovitz, lochte, ryan, serena, solo, vogue, williams