How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-05-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srdjan View Post
Or Karlie standing next to that midget...
This is 2012. Are we still using terms like that?

Jonathan Horton is always a really nice guy in interviews. In that behind the scenes video he said that he felt like a freak of a kid but gymnastics was a release to him. An athletes's profession is not to look like they walked off a catwalk but to have bodies that assist them in their given field. I see nothing wrong with any of their bodies. What I see is dedication to excel.

I think it is refreshing to see athletes on the cover instead of an actress plugging her latest movie even if it looks like an outtake from Baywatch.

14-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srdjan View Post
Or Karlie standing next to that midget...
I do hope you realise how rude and offensive you're being..

Last edited by Nepenthes; 14-05-2012 at 10:13 PM.
14-05-2012
V.I.P.

I don't think he is that small, I mean Karlie is very, very tall (like 1.90 m I guess) besides she wears heels/pumps in that pic. so let's do a sum ...

~190 cm + ~20 cm = ~2.10 cm! She looks like a GIANT! Everyone looks small aside her (except the basketball player)

Last edited by Pradable; 14-05-2012 at 10:48 PM.
15-05-2012
Amour Comme Hiver

Geeze... half of the comments on this thread sound like they're gonna end up on a Jezebel article soon

The faces are a tad awkward but honestly, Photoshop happens to the best of us. I think it's kinda refreshing to see non-celebrities on the cover too; and let's be honest, this is American Vogue. It's Celebrity/Kate or Gisele/lather/rinse/repeat. I personally find this to be a welcome change!

15-05-2012
front row

Anna has always pioneered a sense of American Pride through the magazine so this doesn't surprise me at all. I'm glad Hope, Ryan and Serena have landed the cover, they look fantastic and all the content i've seen so far, i'm very very impressed with. I think the comparisons to a Health magazine are warranted but this is Vogue and Annie Leibovitz after all, It's far superior to anything in a Health magazine.

trendsetter

I like the cover. Phelps doesn't photograph well and he'd tower over the girls, probably why he wasn't chosen.

The male gymnast is short because umm.......he's a gymnast! Anything over 5'7 would be too big. It's akin to making the comment about a jockey being short.

Serena is an icon, and highly favored to win 3 gold medals at this years Olympics. Not really following the it's 2000, not 2012 comment. Obviously from someone who doesn't watch the sport. Serena has won her last 13 matches in a row, and is likely to be ranked #1 again in the not too distant future (and she was ranked #1 in 2009 before she was injured). She's easily the most important female athlete around, who else would they chose?

Anyways......I think it looks great. But I stan for Serena so hard I'd think that no matter what.

V.I.P.

I agree about Serena ^ she is still as relevant these days as she was 10 years ago in the tennis world.

fashion elite

after watching the making-off video I'm now convinced it is the perfect choice for this issue, I love the inside editorial pics: the best athletes and bodies in the world, the most driven people in their professions and they seem to have great personalities too. Karlie looks amazing but I do prefer Raquel over her in terms of modeling skills, beauty and the fact that, for me, she was better suited to be with athletes but anyways it doesn't take away the skills and beauty Karlie has. I sort of had a mix reaction of different feelings when I saw the cover: I was shocked by the surprising cover subjects, I didn't like the awkwardness of the poses/swimsuits and Serena's face but all in all in the end, this is VOGUE: it's always thinking forward and as Charlotte Cowles, from nymag, said: "Wintour is clearly aware of the overlaps between the sports and fashion worlds. Sure, a lot of fashion fans may not be interested in sports — and vice versa — but the two industries have a lot in common. Their stars become huge celebrities. Both embrace extreme physical ideals, nutty personalities, and showiness. What athletes wear, both in and out of the game, is carefully examined. The way people define themselves by what they wear is not unlike how people define themselves by certain sports teams. Fashion and sports are both utterly frivolous and culturally essential. Both can involve more than a fair amount of spandex, glitter, and sequins." love love love that quote, she's so making my point!

V.I.P.

The video of the behind the scenes was fantastic, so many talent there, and Kloss looks stunning.

15-05-2012
front row

have to admit, this short video completely changed my perspective and while I still think that cover could be way better, I'm really eager to buy this issue. will be looking after it next week, cause that's probably when it will hit the stands in Poland.

Last edited by stereo; 15-05-2012 at 05:10 AM.
15-05-2012
front row

I love the cover!

What a lovely and beautiful way to celebrate the Olympics.
Much better than British Vogue’s approach...I mean really, sticking Kate on the cover, was that entirely necessary!

15-05-2012
V.I.P.

Ok, now that I've seen the video, I have a much better appreciation for this issue. Showcasing these Olympic athletes is a true compliment and appreciation for their dedication to their sport. No "health" magazine can duplicate what Leibovitz has achieved here. She's integrated the beauty of fashion with the elegance of these magnificent athletes.

15-05-2012
MON
V.I.P.

The video made me see the cover in a whole different perspective. To me now, it looks very inspiring. As cheesy as it sounds but to me now, their exaggerated smiles represent their dreams in a good way. I like it

fashion insider

This has got to be the worst cover I've ever seen on a Vogue, ever.

15-05-2012
you soft and only

Ever? Really? Even worse than Ivana Trumps's cover?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, annie, hope, june, leibovitz, lochte, ryan, serena, solo, vogue, williams