How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-05-2012
V.I.P.

^^I think it has more to do with face recognition, Serena is quite famous outside the sport isn´t she?

About Serena´s body, they photoshoped her to make her slimmer yet people would make comments as if she was a model...

Last edited by kokobombon; 12-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.

12-05-2012
V.I.P.

Yes she is, she and her sister were the first colored people after the "white" generation of Hingis, Davenport, Seles, Capriati that won a lot of grandslam en dominate the tennisworld.. Serina is by far the most succesfull tennis player of her generation. She won every glamslam AND two olympic golden medals (2000 en in 2008). Besides she got many sponsors, so i guess almost everyone know her face.
I'm really glad she got on the cover! If someone can win gold with tennis for usa, it will be Serena.

Last edited by Forrest; 12-05-2012 at 03:31 PM.
12-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAUU View Post
LOL, how did they get Karlie on that basketball hoop?
maybe a ladder was involved in that process

12-05-2012
backstage pass

I don't think the casting is bad (as a non-American I have no idea who Hope or Ryan are though) but the execution is pretty awful. They went completely safe and obvious..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
I really like the idea of having Athletes take up the majority of the issue. It`s their time to shine and they deserve it more than Arizona, Karlie ++ (well maybe just for this month or months to come)
Disagree with this.. how do athletes deserve editorial more than models who do this for their career? I don't mind either way whether athletes are in the issue but I hardly think Anna included them because they deserve it more, in fact I think it's because they will sell more copies

fashion icon

geez, whenever I read Serena in the thread, I think of Blake Lively !

12-05-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Yes she is, she and her sister were the first colored people after the "white" generation of Hingis, Davenport, Seles, Capriati that won a lot of grandslam en dominate the tennisworld.. Serina is by far the most succesfull tennis player of her generation. She won every glamslam AND two olympic golden medals (2000 en in 2008). Besides she got many sponsors, so i guess almost everyone know her face.
I'm really glad she got on the cover! If someone can win gold with tennis for usa, it will be Serena.
^I agree on all parts.

Vogue's June covers from the past nine years have been consistently strong for me (with the exception of June 2008's Sarah Jessica Parker cover) and this is no different. It's a shame there's so much snobbishness being thrown around here because this is a lovely cover. I've seen each of these athletes in action and there is a grace to their movements (like most athletes) and a vitality to them that are characteristics more fashionable to me than some of the people I see on the covers of fashion magazines these days.

Last edited by crosidan; 12-05-2012 at 04:25 PM.
12-05-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
No need to body snark about Serena. She's an athlete, not a model, so why should she be a twig? Then she wouldn't be able to play tennis nearly half as well as she does. Personally, I love that Vogue put athletes on the cover, it's a nice change from all the celebrities. There is something glamourous and powerful about athletes... so to me this cover really works and still fits in with the idea of Vogue.
Thank You. People in this community seem to expect everyone in magazines to look like models. It gets really grating. Also, how is bad that athletes are on the cover? The olympics only happen every 4 years. Seriously can we all just get over the fact that models rarely make the cover of US Vogue? I actually like it this way because it makes the model covers more prestigious and special.

V.I.P.

why is american vogue always offering the same old ridiculous story: model in gown standing near athlets. c`mon it looks hilarious. what is she doing, what are they doing? nonsense

V.I.P.

I am not talking about Serenas body, I really do not care about it. She just looks monstrous to me in every single way. Period.

Last edited by GlamorousBoy; 12-05-2012 at 04:52 PM.
12-05-2012
don't look down

If there's going to be a female tennis player on the cover, I find it refreshing to see a powerhouse of the game, rather than some photogenic blonde stand-in for a supermodel. She's earned more prize money from the game than any other woman, and already has two Olympic gold medals to her name. That's what I see when I look at her on that cover.

12-05-2012
External Optimist

tigerrouge, karma x100 for you. Well said.

12-05-2012
fashion icon

^I so agree with you Tigerrouge. It's great to see three people who've become game changers in their sports on the cover. I think I would have been annoyed if they picked a "pretty" athlete who really isn't the greatest but they have a love for fashion. That would have shown that Anna and her team really don't get it. But I'm glad they do, they seem to understand, that sometimes it's better to go with a strong/athletic cover subject then a pretty face. Serena is an icon. Hope is an icon. And I'm willing to bet that Ryan is going to become an icon after this Olympic games. How often does Vogue put athletes on the cover? Hardly ever. And when they do, it's because they deserve it.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 12-05-2012 at 05:20 PM.
12-05-2012
fashion icon

Isn't June always one of their weaker sellers? If so I'm glad they are shaking things up. I think the cover is fresh and yet another unexpected choice for U.S. Vogue.

12-05-2012
Fly my pretties... Fly!

After reading everything, I still think the cover is aptly pretty fit!

12-05-2012
rising star

I find it funny that people are arguing about this looking like men's health...not enough fashion. Looks pretty great to me.

cause you know, women also wanna see male bodies let's be honest... I often think of the lack of them in womens mag's

Last edited by Syaoran; 12-05-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, annie, hope, june, leibovitz, lochte, ryan, serena, solo, vogue, williams