How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-04-2007
VSFS 2009!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesrules815
So are you saying that Natalia, Daria and Gisele can't carry a cover either? Becuase they shared the Sep 2004 cover

edit: I wish they had done this cover like the Sep 2004 cover. It was so much better!
But then...we would have complained about their unorginality. Even more so because at least the ladders and the positioning of the girls are a throwback to the vintage supermodel covers of Vogue.

It's just very hard to make us happy.

08-04-2007
Team Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyRose
-- You know who I really feel bad for? Elise Crombez. Meisel works in mysterious ways. I wonder if Elise is given the cold shoulder b/c her shape has become more womanly, but that apparently did not hurt Karen Elson one bit in Meisel's world.
I feel bad for her too. she's finally back in Vogue US this year so I thought Anna or Meisel would pick her to be one of them. ahh the result is disappointing. still I'm glad to see models on the cover. let models do their jobs.

08-04-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair
i'm not surprised anja and hye are missing, even though they each have done major campaigns, neither has ever been an anna favorite (anja frequently appears in bazaar, so that could have counted against her as well)...
Also, how much say did Meisel have? I mean, Meisel doesn't really work with either Anja or Freja (I may be mistaken). Actually, Hye also. And Stam was included in there, and she really isnt a US Vogue regular and she's a favorite of Meisel. I don't mind Chanel is on there. Always good to see minority faces.

I really wished Hye would've been there, but I knew she wouldn't. I believe she shot an ed for US Vogue that ended up not being published/Trentini getting it. I think she posted something about how she saw Trentini wearing her outfits that she was wearing for the shoot in one of the issues. I also guess ALT doesn't have much say either (he did say Hye was his favorite model in an article a while back, but probably wishful thinking on my part).

Last edited by oxymoron; 09-04-2007 at 12:01 AM.

09-04-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
As far as model covers go, I like the idea of using new or new-ish models who are on first-name basis among people in the industry and modelizers but still relatively new to the general public. This is the kind of cover that can take a girl's career to exciting new heights. I am definitely more interested in seeing this than a cover with Natalia Vodianova or Shalom Harlow. I'm also glad that it's a group shot. Does it say something about the lack of wow-factor of the current crop of girls when it's hard to find a girl that can single-handedly carry a cover?
I agree with this. It's like back in the 1970's and 1980's when people used fairly new models on important covers, and it catapulted their careers.

09-04-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
always the bridesmaid, never the bride. She is everywhere except for US Vogue.
What a hilarious metaphor.

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear1000
When this issue comes out we should all write in and say how much we liked having models on the cover. I am so excited!
oh i will, most definitely!! otherwise i'm always complaining to them about the actress on the cover, they will actually be surprised to hear something way more positive from my side.....:p

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

Even though I should be excited that there are models on the cover, I'm not. It's a bad cover. The model choice is very predictable, I am most excited about Stammy, Agyness, Raquel, and Hilary.

Hopefully there are some good editorials...

09-04-2007
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Copy
yeah i spose having models back on the cover is better than having friggin "celeb"s like Angelina or Mary-Kate on it.
Exactly! people should be more happy with this cover as i imagine most people would rather see doutzen, sasha, raquel etc than another kirsten dunst or keira knightley cover

09-04-2007
Secretly falling apart.

Location: Reading endless amounts of fashion magazines while watching The OC.
I like the cover I think its lovely. I just cant believe Gemma isnt in there! Im so upset...

09-04-2007
backstage pass

Well I think the model selection is terrible! I have no idea why Agyness and Chanel Iman were selected! There has nothing to do with race, but is Chanel really a top model? I think even if she is on the cover, her career is still on the same level because of her unacceptable look! What pissed me off is where are Asian models? damn US Vogue!

By the way, no matter how you think of Anja Rubik as a bridesmaid, her status is on the top 10, so does Freja!

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

I really doubt these will be the next "top" models.. I really hate the model line up too.. sure these models are all "unique"//"odd" looking... exception of Doutzen and Raquel of course. They should have put Julia Stegner or Freja.. the REAL top models atm..and why is chanel Iman there...

09-04-2007
go red sox

Why so picky, everyone? I think the cover is gorgeous. A little unoriginal perhaps, but it's simple and chic and it's got some beautiful models on it.

And about model selection, I think it's quite unfair to classify anyone as not "deserving" the cover. Some models hit it big right away, some work for years before getting a big break.

Some of these girls are not my favorites, I'll admit. But they're infinitely better than Keira Knightley (who I'm sure will get next month's cover).

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

Okay so there are models on the cover - but do we really want them there in the first place?

The cover didn't suprise me at all - all the models are girls who have been in US Vogue before and that Meisel uses ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!!
Sasha, Coco, Hilary, Agyness are Meisels girls and as long as he shoots Vogue covers - they will be on them!

** I feel that Freja Beha has missed out BIG TIME! I mean she really is the worlds next top model - she scored the Chanel campaign - which is considered hitting the BIG time and shes going more commercial now with the perfume ads...

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

In fact, I am so sick and tired of seeing Sasha P.

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

In fact, I am so sick and tired of seeing Sasha P. and Coco and Hilary Rhoda in Us

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2007, meisel, models, steven, vogue, world