How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-04-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by taben
I don't see why one would expect something highly original, it's a "top models" issue so it's about the girls themselves, the point isn't really to showcase their work but to "advertise" them -as models, not as girls modeling clothes, don't know if i'm making sense - it's not about what they do it's about who they are so a bland group shot is totally fine by me, there are a lot of models that i love and it seems like they're looking gorgeous which is all i'm asking for in such an issue
Agreed.

However, I agree with Li Ya that this is probably the worst "supermodel/top model" cover so far. But I guess the boring anonymity of it is quite appropriate, in a way.. reflects the status of a top model today...

And I don't think the model choices are that surprising (except maybe Chanel). No shocker that it's US Vogue's favorite girls, rather than a "real" top models cover.

Last edited by Saracita; 09-04-2007 at 10:57 AM.

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

I still dont get Chanel... Freja should be on it, Karl Lagerfeld loves her, that should count.
And although I love Tanya she has still a long way to get that kind of cover.

09-04-2007
VSFS 2009!

^ But she's closer to it than Chanel

09-04-2007
Amour Comme Hiver

How Relevant?
MDC has what is arguably the most accurate meter of success for models in the world- the infamous MDC Top 50. Here are how the girls on the cover rank on the list...

Raquel takes the cake as girl on the cover with the highest ranking- #2
Doutzen- #3
Stam- #5
Sasha- #5
Hilary- #6
Lily- #7
Caroline- #7
Coco- #8
Agyness- #14
Chanel- #38

All of the follwing rank higher than Chanel Iman (just highlights- there are pleanty more), thus theoretically would have been more relevant choices:

Patricia, Iekeliene, Leah de Wavrin, Inguna, Georgia, Hye, Du, Solange, Marina

Top 20 Girls- Not on the Cover

Lara
Vlada
Tanya
Diana
Elise
Hana
Tiiu
Snejana
Missy Rayder
Lisa Cant

Top 10 Girls- Not on the Cover

Natasha
Anja
Irina
MariaCarla
Iselin
Freja
Julia Stegner
Malgosia
Gemma

I can understand Gemma absence- she has a cover. Sadly, age might have played against Malgosia, MariaCarla, and Julia. But, despite how much I dislike her, the absence of Freja is unforgivable; she's earned a place on that cover. Natasha really should have been on the cover too, as she is getting very clost to superstatus (not only is she a high fashion fave, but shes done loads for VS and other mainstream stuff, too).

Regardless of what Fashionista has to say, Chanel does not deserve to be on that cover.

09-04-2007
Ítre ton cygne noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelover142002
Some of these girls are not my favorites, I'll admit. But they're infinitely better than Keira Knightley (who I'm sure will get next month's cover).
i'm an advocate for more model covers on US vogue, but seeing the selection here (imo, most being outdated now), i'd prefer a good cover of a celebrity i like - keira knightley, natalie portman - because at least vogue would be doing what they're known for/good at: feeding america its monthly dose of a celebrity's life. they are not good at the model cover.

Last edited by Cosette; 09-04-2007 at 11:11 AM.

09-04-2007
Day
fashion elite

I actually don't mind the cover -- with ten girls on it, it can't that much movement and creativity. A little boring, maybe, but the colors are nice and most of the model choices are relevant.

I miss seeing Freja and Vlada (might be personal bias, but I think she is a top model) on the cover -- obviously more deserving than Chanel.

09-04-2007
VSFS 2009!

^ I think a lot more models are more deserving than Chanel but we have to look at this objectively. Like another poster said, there has to be a model that represents the minority and right now, the top black model is Chanel.....(most unfortunately so but what can you do)

09-04-2007
tailored

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesrules815
So are you saying that Natalia, Daria and Gisele can't carry a cover either? Becuase they shared the Sep 2004 cover

edit: I wish they had done this cover like the Sep 2004 cover. It was so much better!
i think what liberty was saying is that none of them could have done a cover by themselves...
natalia nor daria has ever had an only girl vogue cover...
the last model to have one was liya...

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

I really like Keira and Natalie, though.

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

i would have preffered only 3 models on the cover and more closeups. that way you can get a good look at the makeup and actual cover look

too many models on this tentative cover!

09-04-2007
fashion icon

^agree with everybody that freja should be on teh cover instead of chanel. I like chanel, but she is very new...maybe she could get the cover a few years later(if they do something similar with a lot of models) when she has more work, campaigns and eds...Freja got an important campaign CHANEL(doesnt anna loves karl?!!), she has an CK ad, she has opened and closed several shows, she has a lot of eds...she deserved it more...also I think Tanya D, irina, snejana, etc dsereved it more

09-04-2007
fashion icon

So true. I think there are to much models to give the general public a good look to the models. At least in this cover.

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyRose

- Why would Agyness's inclusion surprise anyone? She got an only-girl edit plus a one-page article in March. If that is not a big deal, I don't know what is.

-- You know who I really feel bad for? Elise Crombez. Meisel works in mysterious ways. I wonder if Elise is given the cold shoulder b/c her shape has become more womanly, but that apparently did not hurt Karen Elson one bit in Meisel's world.
I complety agree,i have no idea why people are so shocked that Agyness got picked!! She was on alot of great covers so faar,Mesiel shot her for Vogue Italia cover and like you said she had an edit and article about her in March issue,so i knew Anna approves.What surprised me is,that she didnt get better position.

And i agree that Elise could have been there instead of others,but hey it is what it is.I am very happy about this and cant wait to get it.

Oh and i hope that they will do this more often;post picture of the new cover so soon,hopefully this was not a mistake made by some poor soul moderator at Style.com.

Last edited by Miss Dalloway; 09-04-2007 at 12:02 PM.

09-04-2007
backstage pass

I think Chanel Iman is either a compassion from Anna for the blacks or she wants to use a black model to buy the large black community in the US! Who cares? I think we were need to chill out a bit, I really doubt the importance of this cover for models! We have Paris Vogue and Vogue Italia ect that are inarguably fashion bibles.

09-04-2007
Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassAngel
^ I think a lot more models are more deserving than Chanel but we have to look at this objectively. Like another poster said, there has to be a model that represents the minority and right now, the top black model is Chanel.....(most unfortunately so but what can you do)

Why couldn't they have used Du Juan, Hye Park, or Selita Ebanks?

(The hottie models like Selita, Izabel, and Caroline were under-repped anyways, especially considering those are the ones who the American population will know/does know about.)

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2007, meisel, models, steven, vogue, world