How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

i personally like selita a lot more than chanel, but she's too much for an VS model i guess

09-04-2007
fashion icon

^^agree and also if they wanted upcoming top models catherine mcneil is def. one of them (IMO), I wanted also an asian face in the cover like du or hye(sp)...Ill stop now we cant do anything about it, hope next time they do an interesting model cover and not so boring like this one.

Last edited by leblue15; 09-04-2007 at 12:33 PM.

09-04-2007
front row

Yeah we should stop complaining before they change it to a J-lo cover. :x

09-04-2007
VSFS 2009!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma
Why couldn't they have used Du Juan, Hye Park, or Selita Ebanks?

(The hottie models like Selita, Izabel, and Caroline were under-repped anyways, especially considering those are the ones who the American population will know/does know about.)
I would prefer Du and Hye but like we said multiple times, Anna needed a 'token black' model.

Selita would not make the cover. She's barely a model. (apologises if you like Selita but that is mean of me )

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

the sept 04 one was much better done

ignoring what models were chosen and what weren't, i don't like the cover. it's so boring and looks really rushed, like a school class picture, not a high fashion photoshoot.. they could have done so much better.

now, about the models. raquel and freja should be front cover. freja, tanya, lily c, and anja should be on there at least. i can't believe anna would leave them out anja and freja. that's just ridiculous

Last edited by BaroqueRockstar; 09-04-2007 at 12:46 PM.

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

^^I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but you also have to keep in mind that Chanel is from the USA and this is US Vogue.

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92
i would have preffered only 3 models on the cover and more closeups. that way you can get a good look at the makeup and actual cover look

too many models on this tentative cover!
i agree.
i love the fact that there are models on the cover, but i'm confused about the placement, selection etc.
perhaps if it was just chanel and agyness,a close up shot of their faces, titled something like "models of tomorrow" or something along those lines. it would be so much more interesting and edgy.

and where is daria werbowy? she used to be a solid book for us vogue and now she's back and hotter than ever.

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

Do USA Vogue covers with models always sell less?

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

^^Yes!The issue with Liya on the cover was their worst selling issue,in years.

Last edited by Miss Dalloway; 09-04-2007 at 12:52 PM.

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

I think the model cover with Daria, Gisele annd the others was one of the best selling issues, but you have to take into consideration that it was also the September issue, which is huge! Maybe they want to see how this one will sell by putting the models on the May cover. If it does well, that may give them a reason to do more model covers.

09-04-2007
memoirs of a...

Regarding Liya's issue not selling well: there is a bias if you only look yearly figures and how that issue compares to other months, because May - July are slow. I believe to form an accurate comparison, you'd have to stack the number against the same month from last year. It will be interesting to see how this May issue compares to Liya's in terms of sales.

Again, I think people who are surprised by the exclusion of Freja, Anja, etc. are exposed to so many fashion magazines that they lose track of where they saw these girls. Freja and Anja, while highly visible, have never 'owned' an editorial in US Vogue so I wouldn't expect them to receive a sudden breakthrough. US Vogue seems to believe that it is the only publication that counts, so it's no surprise that it doesn't acknowledge girls booked by competing titles. What's puzzling is not why certain girls are not on the cover but why they were never in US Vogue in the first place. Is Freja the first Chanel girl in recent history to not get Wintour's seal of approval? I look at her and can't think of what disqualifies her. If Lagerfeld fell head over heels for Irina, I can understand why Anna Wintour would refuse to follow his footsteps, but there is nothing 'alternative' about Freja.

Good lord, I did not realize Julia Stegner is not there. Everyone laments the fast turn-over rate of girls nowadays, but I feel that in terms of trends, we always have a steady stream of doll faces or quirky girls, but not enough classic beauties or Amazonians.

About the cover design, group shoots are never US Vogue's strength. Even when they're done by Annie Leibovitz, the end result doesn't hold up to her work for Vanity Fair. The shoulder-and-above shots are the worst because more often than not they resemble some weirdly disproportionate collarge. The Sept 04 cover is an example of that, and going back further I can cite the dreaded Spice Girls cover as evidence too. UK Vogue, on the other hand, makes a rocking group cover.

And thank you kimair for offering an explanation for me!

Last edited by LibertyRose; 09-04-2007 at 01:22 PM.

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_batter
and where is daria werbowy? she used to be a solid book for us vogue and now she's back and hotter than ever.
daria was in the previous all-model cover, but most of all it seems to me that she isn't a proper us vogue *material* anymore.

boring cover btw, despite being a sort of quotation of a previous collective cover.
well, maybe it's just most of those models to look boring and uninteressing to me.

Last edited by eword; 09-04-2007 at 01:38 PM.

09-04-2007
Unveil Yourself....

It is on coacd too, sethii! (you prob knew :p )

So, is fashionista.com agreeing with us or are they defending Chanel's place on the cover? It's a confusing choice of words in that sentence :p

twitter.com/ErikP87

09-04-2007
tailored

sure thing liberty

you have to consider that since the september issue is also the biggest issue of the year, it's usually vogue's best seller...
the supermodel cover of sept. 04 was their biggest selling of the year
liya was on an off-month (may, like this cover), which doesn't really sell well anyway...
i think i have some sales numbers from last year...it would be interesting to compare may 05 (liya) to may 06 (kiera knightley) to may 07...

freja is another model who typically appears in bazaar, and i really think anna has a thing against models who appear in the competition...
julia, irina, and anja are also frequent bazaar girls, which probably led to their exclusion...
caroline trentini only recently started appearing in bazaar, but not after anna used her to death in vogue...

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dale
It is on coacd too, sethii! (you prob knew :p )

So, is fashionista.com agreeing with us or are they defending Chanel's place on the cover? It's a confusing choice of words in that sentence :p
I think they were agreeing.

Last edited by dbear1000; 09-04-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2007, meisel, models, steven, vogue, world