US Vogue May 2009 : Faces of the Moment by Steven Meisel - Page 8 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-04-2009
V.I.P.

Lara looks gorgeous, but that doesn't explain why she's on there.

Imo, she's not even a face of the moment. Why is she considered one? Cause of that whole french vogue issue dedicated to her?

She barely walked any shows this season!
15 to be exact.....

12-04-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfinkova View Post
^

Too true!

I also have another question.....
How is Caroline a "face of the moment"?

More like was.....

My thoughts exactly!

12-04-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen_kass View Post
Anna J shouldn't really be there at all, it seems like Meisel is fulfilling a whim with this girl, Coco or Stam are the girls who really need to be in Anna's spot. I'm only saying this because Meisel gets bored with everyone, and I bet he wont be working so much with Anna J in the future.
I know...I wanted Stam to be on it =[

But the girls look great!

12-04-2009
V.I.P.

I think there is no better time for Lara to debut on US Vogue, she is indeed the face of the moment,
her debut on the May cover is just perfect

But to be honest, not all of them are faces of the moment. Maybe they just want to
make the cast a bit more recognisable.

Last edited by surrealseven; 12-04-2009 at 08:57 PM.
12-04-2009
V.I.P.

As much as I LOVE this idea of using models, I find some of the choices a little perplexing. Is this just a cross-section of models? Or is it 'the faces of the moment'?

I mean the girls who really deserve to be there, are Anna J, Natasha Poly, Raquel and Lara. They are all relatively new and score most of the campaigns. Liya, Isabeli, Natalia and Caroline have had their moment. They've also had their US Vogue-Steven Meisel-Models Cover moment; Isabeli appearing on all 3 of those covers, right?

I don't find Liya or Caroline or Isabeli to be "faces of the moment". What does this even mean anyway? The faces of the moment as per the personal taste of Anna Wintour?

Personally, I would have prefered to see models like Anja Rubik, Sasha Pivovarova, Daria Werbowy, Jessica Stam, Freja Beha (even though I know not a possibility) and Lily Donaldson. They are the models that really score all the campaigns, covers and editorials. They should therefore be awarded accolades.

I mean, honestly, HOW many times must we revisit Natalia's story of how she came from poverty and married a Prince and blah blah blah blah blah!?! Same goes with Liya (as much as I LOVE her) - we've heard her story ten million times before!

12-04-2009
daisy in my lazy eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethii View Post
Wow they managed to suck any individuality out of the models and turn them into almost identical clones. It looks like a collection of beheaded barbies. Horrible and frightening.
Haha yeah. The 'quality' (ie lighting, white balance, photoshop) feels off, but it's the case with a lot of Meisel's recent work. I can't say I like the cover itself, the composition, 80's feel, hmf. But Natalia, Natasha and Jourdan's shots turned out great!

Last edited by iperlchen; 12-04-2009 at 08:58 PM.
12-04-2009
we could have had it all

IMO, the only girls you could really call "faces of the moment" are Poly, Lara, Jourdan, and Anna J. The other girls are all quite established.

12-04-2009
trendsetter

Lara looks amazing and its AW's way to say to Carine "i can have her too" lol...

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealseven View Post
I think there is no better time for Lara to debut on US Vogue, she is indeed the face of the moment,
her debut on the May cover is just perfect

But to be honest, not all of them are faces of the moment. Maybe they just want to
make the cast a bit more recognisable.
Amen!

12-04-2009
boop

Alright. Finally in HQ.

Image Credit | Scanned by Me from Vogue May 09

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xone View Post
Lara looks amazing and its AW's way to say to Carine "i can have her too" lol...
^I really think that that's the whole reason behind Natasha getting a lot of American Vogue eds.

Last edited by ad041715; 12-04-2009 at 09:06 PM.
12-04-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturecandystor View Post
IMO, the only girls you could really call "faces of the moment" are Poly, Lara, Jourdan, and Anna J. The other girls are all quite established.
Natasha, Lara and Anna have been around for a long time. Jourdan is the only new face.

They use these terms to attract people, by making the girls into a kind of breaking news story.

12-04-2009
fashion insider

^ exactly, Poly has been around the block a couple times.

Thanks Luxx!

12-04-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
Personally, I would have prefered to see models like Anja Rubik, Sasha Pivovarova, Daria Werbowy, Jessica Stam, Freja Beha (even though I know not a possibility) and Lily Donaldson. They are the models that really score all the campaigns, covers and editorials. They should therefore be awarded accolades.
I totally agree with this.

12-04-2009
███████████████

The cover no are good no like much expresion face , and Jourdan Dunn com on shes not the face of the moment on one is Lily Donalson, anja, Freja, Edita and Meisel abuse of photoshop

Last edited by testinofan; 12-04-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, faces, meisel, moment, steven, vogue