How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-09-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercification View Post
I just feel like 'I get it, Jourdan's your new Liya', so either put some more solo Chanel shots or none at all.
while Jourdan is being the new Liya, i am seeing Karlie being pushed as the new raquel or daria which i am totally not seeing....

16-09-2009
backstage pass

^ no one can take daria's place!

16-09-2009
backstage pass

karlie is taking it.

you soft and only

If anything Karlie is the new Caroline.

16-09-2009
you set the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercification View Post
The eds are really pretty but quite dull.
Exactly. Same boring ingredients with something superficially different in each one; they're a little bit more appealing than usual but definitely not 'great'. Also I think I'll never understand Karlie, her expressions look so obnoxious and daft to me. But I do like the cover and I love that it's Michelle... that was a happy surprise!

16-09-2009
fashion insider

I don't think anybody is the new anybody.
Vogue has always had the exclusive handful of girls that they like to famaliarize the readers with.
It's their way if making Vogue a sort of brand, an exclusive intimate family.
All the Vogues do it. I don't know why everyone points the finger at American Vogue.
Does anybody agree with this?
Because all this talk about who is the new who is getting to me.
Jourdan is not the new Liya. Liya was in the last issue. A well as Jourdan.

16-09-2009
backstage pass

WOW I think Karlie is a great editorial model, i just love "French Open". Her body looks so long and beautiful. And people need to stop thinking she's replacing Caroline They're both have Eds every month. Karlie, Jourdan and Chanel don't need to replace anyone to become Supermodels.

Last edited by Demelza; 16-09-2009 at 05:53 PM.
16-09-2009
trendsetter

this issue is beeeautiful! i cant wait to get it. the cover is nothing special but all of the eds are just !!! Karlie's and Bruce Weber's especially. at least the cover is a fresh face. (factoring in last year's october cover star Rachel Weiz October may be the month of the "fresh" face for US Vogue.)

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demelza View Post
WOW I think Karlie is a great editorial model, i just love "French Open". Her body looks so long and beautiful. And people need to stop thinking she's replacing Caroline They're both have Eds every month. Karlie, Jourdan and Chanel don't need to replace anyone to become Supermodels.
^agreed and well said regarding the replacement thing.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierRaphael View Post
I don't ... which other Vogues do that ? VP kinda of does that but what else ?
I don't care about this family they create, I wanted to see them giving opportunities to new models because this is US Vogue which is one of best fashion magazines in the world and would be the greatest thing for a new model to be in there. Besides, having Karlie which is not even good in print work (and I'm not being biased if not I'd say more models ) is getting really tiresome, she's in every single issue of US Vogue. Even though she looks good in her new editorial, which is because of good photoshop, good styling and good set, mostly ... I lost the number of times I said she's looked bad in print, but there's like 3 or 4 edits that actually she looks good and this is one of them.

17-09-2009
backstage pass

This issue surpasses the September issue in terms of originality. All the eds feel updated and fresh

17-09-2009
rising star

im a huge fan of michelle's style but that cover does nothing for her. the inside photo of her with the hat would have been better, if she was looking at the camera. i think us vogue has come a long way from being so prim and proper to putting an unmarried working mom of a young girl on the cover. good on vogue, and kudos to michelle for creating a seminal body of work that has finally overshadowed the recent tragedy in her life.

17-09-2009
V.I.P.

I don't like this cover and this woman.

And I like eds, especially Karlie's one. I love every shot of her ed.
Also there are some good shots in Head Games.
And about Babes in Arms I can say that it's not anything special but still nice.

But I'm not getting this.

17-09-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierRaphael View Post
I don't think anybody is the new anybody.
Vogue has always had the exclusive handful of girls that they like to famaliarize the readers with.
It's their way if making Vogue a sort of brand, an exclusive intimate family.
All the Vogues do it. I don't know why everyone points the finger at American Vogue.
Because all this talk about who is the new who is getting to me.
Jourdan is not the new Liya. Liya was in the last issue. A well as Jourdan.
I have to agree with this.

And I see that this as Vogue's way of being exclusive. If you're a US Vogue girl, you are big. I like it. Exclusive.

Last edited by Franzy; 17-09-2009 at 04:43 AM.
17-09-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post
I don't ... which other Vogues do that ? VP kinda of does that but what else ?
I don't care about this family they create, I wanted to see them giving opportunities to new models because this is US Vogue which is one of best fashion magazines in the world and would be the greatest thing for a new model to be in there.
I disagree. Exclusivity is key when it comes to keeping Vogue interesting. I know it sounds crazy to think that featuring the same girls each month could be deemed interesting, but I'm thinking about the magazine as a whole. When Bazaar started to be more inclusive, featuring a bunch of new and different girls each month, it started to feel random and like ANY girl could show up in the mag. There was no "ooh and aah" factor, and I didn't develop an attachment to the girls. But, if a girl breaks it into the tight-knit Vogue family, then it feels like a much bigger deal. Yes, it can feel random and you wonder why certain girls deserve to be a part of the small Vogue family, but I think Anna does a good job of balancing her personal favorites with the girls who have genuine talent. And yes, I think some models still earn their way to the top even if we don't see their appeal (I mean, maybe Karlie is earning the rave reviews she's getting from the photographers and editors).

Oh, and let's not exaggerate this "new" model thing either. It's not like Vogue is still using just Amber and Shalom. Maybe if we all took a step back from the tedium of the monthly issues, we'd realize that models like Karlie and Iris (who have just had a feature dedicated to them in Vogue) are very new to the scene, and the model turnover has increased quite a bit in Vogue.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, mario, michelle, october, testino, vogue, williams