How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-08-2012
fashion elite

You can say whatever you want from her but she gives a lot to work in on a photoshoot. Just look at the video...I cant believe Mert & Marcus photoshoped her so much because the end result could be very good.
It may look better in print through

10-08-2012
fashion insider

^ i actually agree, she looks great in the video especially with that black McQueen however unfortunately for Mert & Marcus the resulting shot looked kinda bland..

10-08-2012
MON
V.I.P.

I loved the color of the banner when it was on the video but when it was on the cover, it looked like it was an auto shape from Powerpoint. The cover shoot looks really fun!

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorrnottwarr View Post
With the sell rates of Gaga's last issue and the $1.00 increase in cost, the issue will be wildly successful. Brilliant move in my opinion.
Brilliant, seriously?....this strategy is so obvious that in my opnion canīt be discribe as brilliant!

I am willing to see what kind of rubbish they have put in this issue to arrive the number of 916 pages...

10-08-2012
fashion elite

Oh that video is charming, thanks for posting, Marc10.
Still, I can't get along with that awful wig. WHY????!!!

10-08-2012
V.I.P.

I agree with Chrissy M's write up in "Forum Buzz" - the cover is a departure, different-looking, which is good. I also agree with others that the red banner is "off" - KingofVersailles, I think the idea of an anniversary banner is a good one, but the execution here doesn't work. It kind of clashes with the rest of the cover, which is more edgy, whereas the banner is a traditional accoutrement. Finally, like Chrissy, I will not read the accompanying article because Lady Gaga doesn't interest me. I still feel like she wasn't a great choice for the cover, but at least they've styled and photographed her in an interesting way.

BTW, I don't recall that MJ dress in the collection? There were the lovely (I thought) patchwork black silk dresses at the end of the collection but no patchwork fuchsia gowns. This must be custom made for the person/occasion then.

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged
10-08-2012
backstage pass

Review September 2012: Lady Gaga by Mert & Marcus

El Dorado (16p)
Photographer: Mario Testino
Model: Stella Tennant
Fashion Editor: Camilla Nickerson
Description: Shot in Peru, involves a lot of the native people. Bold vivid colors and Stella is just so wonderful. Great styling as well.

Art And Craft
(8p)
Photographer: David Sims
Models: Liu Wen, Caroline Trentini, Joan Smalls
Fashion Editor: Tonne Goodman
Description: Clean crisp lines, showcasing mostly coats. Slightly matted wet hair. Liu Wen probably looks the best here. Liu gets 4 pages, while Caroline and Joan each gets 2 pages.

Space Odyssey (14p)
Photographer: Steven Klein
Model: Karen Elson
Fashion Editor: Tonne Goodman
Description: Very sci-fi. Very saturated photographs showing mostly black clothes. Make-up is a bit harsh, therefore, works for some photos and downright scary for others. Looks like its shot in an airbase.

Dream Girl (8p)
Photographer: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
Model: Lady Gaga
Fashion Editor: Grace Coddington

The Custom Of The Country (18p)
Photographer: Annie Leibovitz
Model: Natalia Vodianova with Juno Temple, Mamie Gummer, Elijah Woods and etc.
Description: Natalia plays the role of Edith Warton, author of the book The Custom of the Country, hence the name of the editorial. Shot on location at The Mount, where Wharton actually lived. So, the actors/artists/whoever appearing alongside Natalia are all cameos from Wharton's real life. Beautiful Victorian-esque gowns.

One Enchanted Evening (6p)
Photographer: Peter Lindbergh
Models: Aymeline Valade, Bette Franke, Elza Luijendjik, Zuzana Bijoch
Description: Highlighting Dolce&Gabbana's first couture collection. Shot in a garden. 4 pages of photos of all the girls together. Girls twirling around. 2 pages of interview plus a close-up of Bette looking beautiful.

Punk'd (1p)
Photographer: Tim Walker
Model: Xiao Wen Ju
Fashion Editor: Phyllis Posnick
Description: Xiao Wen wearing Lanvin with blonde-yellowish hair looking like a doll with ghostly white make-up.

Her Brilliant Career (8p)
Photographer: David Sims
Model: Karlie Kloss
Description: Karlie with long straight hair of varying neon colors for each shot. She works it actually. Shot in a business district with Karlie walking/rushing shots.

Highlights

The Models (10p)
Description: A sort of tributes to models, featuring shots used previously in the magazine. Also offers write-ups about the rise of supermodels, emerging presence of Asian models, models born in the USA, UK, Canada, Eastern Bloc, Brazil. Also shows one page of the models who's had the most number of American Vogue covers.
Lauren Hutton - 26 covers
Jean Shrimpton - 20 covers
Karen Graham - 20 covers
Cindy Crawford - 18 covers
Claudia Schiffer - 16 covers
Jean Patchett - 16 covers
Amber Valetta - 16 covers
Veruschka - 12 covers
Gisele Bundchen -11 covers
Kate Moss - 8 covers

The Vogue 120 (24p)
Photographer: Norman Jean Roy
Description: Basically, if Anna likes you, then you're in this feature.
Designers are Alexander Wang, Sarah Burton, Stella McCartney, Phoebe Phillo, Raf Simons, Peter Copping, Erdem Moralioglu, Ricardo Tisci, Proenza boys, Rodarte sisters, Rag and Bone team, Nicolas Ghesquiere, Peter Dundas, Oliver Rousteing, Joseph Altuzarra, Anthony Vaccarello, Christopher Kane.
Models are Kati Nescher, Karen Elson, Claudia Schiffer, Marie Piovesan, Caroline Trentini, Chanel Iman, Kate Upton(Urggh!), Candice Swanpoel, Karlie Kloss, Liu Wen, Arizona Muse, Joan Smalls, Tali Lennox, Cara Delevigne.
Actors/Singers are Diane Kruger, Emilia Clarke, Rooney Mara, Jenifer Lawrence, Kirsten Stewart, Florence Welch.
*Take note that these are those that were photographed for this feature. There are others that simply received a shoutout.

P.S the price at my local bookstore got bumped up by $5.

Last edited by ash92; 10-08-2012 at 10:15 AM.
10-08-2012
V.I.P.

Sound a like a good solid issue.

But where's Meisel

10-08-2012
tfs star

liu wen and bette

is this bette's US vogue debut? i can't remember if she's been in previous editorials...

V.I.P.

^ Bette made an appearance in the May 2007 issue in a group shot by Steven Klein.

10-08-2012
V.I.P.

I expected more from the review to be honest, but sounds decent.

V.I.P.

WTF?!? Where is Meisel?!!?

fashion elite

I cant believe there isnt a single Meisel editorial when we have two with Sims.
Anyway this is a great issue, great editorial content and great (and diversed) cast.

V.I.P.

Looks pretty decent. Can't wait to get my copy in the mail.

10-08-2012
V.I.P.

Well that sounds like a fantastic diverse content, despite there not being Meisel whose omission from the issue makes no sense, but i am still excited to have ti in my hands!

Thanks for the review Ash92

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, alas, gaga, lady, marcus, mert, piggott, september, vogue