How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-09-2012
fashion insider

^ ugh at least have interesting ads right? sans the ungodly number of ad pages this shapes up to be the typical issue of VOGUE. i bought my copy a while ago. a waste of paper honestly altho i did get into a fight and used it as ammo

ps Grace scary hair, feathers, over-sized accessories and exaggerated shapes does not an avant-garde editorial make. it's just try hard and lame, k?

the art direction was so mind-numbingly boring through out. esp the retrospective model over views etc. this of all issues should have been a thing of beauty but i just wanna barf/cry. none of the eds or editors delivered. even teenVOGUE has better content.

Looking over the eds i was struck by how they could've swapped out editor credits and nobody would've blinked:

Art & Craft = Elissa Santisi or Nickerson
Space Odyssey= Nickerson
Dream Girl=Tonne
Her Brilliant Career= Santisi

i guess i should've lowered my expectations (even more). there wasn't anything personal, revealing or magical. I was envisioning the personal touch found in VOGUE's wonderful Nostalgia features or at least rosy colored interviews, where are they now etc.

However I was intrigued by this new VOGUE book, The Editor's Eye:

source: altopedorraje.blogspot.com

02-09-2012
Mr. Zhivago

I had to look that book up online to make sure that was the cover. Makes me wonder if Rooney was a good seller; still a surprising image to choose for a Vogue book.

02-09-2012
don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
Given the size of the issue, I'm working my way through it in fifty-page segments, and so far my progress has uncovered:

50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - ads and one contents page
50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - ads and three contents pages
50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - a perfume insert and the editor's letter
50 pgs - ads
50 pgs - readers' letters and beauty ads
50 pgs - more beauty ads and a sad story about a dog

...only around 450 pages in.
50 pgs - impenetrable memories of art worlds I wouldn't want to be part of, and some Hermes ads
50 pgs - disappointly small pictures in the stylist feature, and a lot of Dior ads
50 pgs - too-short articles about interesting things, and some fashion
50 pgs - handbags and shoes
50 pgs - a dull beauty section that makes Allure seem like a great read

...at this rate, I might hit the editorials around midnight.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrmartinho View Post
anybody knows the best place to buy it online (no Ebay please)?
I bought if from eBay but you can also get it from magazinecafestore.com for the cover price plus $16 shipping.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellastica View Post
the art direction was so mind-numbingly boring through out. esp the retrospective model over views etc. this of all issues should have been a thing of beauty but i just wanna barf/cry.
I couldn't agree more. I understand that it's an anniversary issue, so it's inevitable that they'll look back on the magazine. Typically I love that sort of thing, but the dull layout made the entire section seem like page fillers, ones done at the last minute. That's what a lot of this issue felt like to me, to be frank. Fillers meant to get the page count up as high as they could.

BTW I love the photo of Rooney they used for that cover posted above. Kind of a surprising choice (instead of a celebrity who they know will stand the test of time), but very striking nonetheless.

03-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
I see Cedric Buchet contributed to this issue. Is this his first time in US Vogue?
He shot Kate Moss for the April 1995 issue: #208

04-09-2012
V.I.P.

My face must have been a picture when I picked this up last week. The weight is insane, I felt as though I was about to be bombarded with fashion (as a September issue should). I've never felt so eager to sit down and read page after page. But that's to come sometime soon.

rising star

I've got it, finally ... and I'm disappointed.

issue is ok but nothing special, I expected so much more, probably because of thickness although I knew that it would be "just ads".

from now on I will buy only thin issues. :p

and they were so lazy when it comes to 120th anniversary ... I can't even compare it to vogue paris 90th birthday issue.

14-09-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by marusenka View Post
I've got it, finally ... and I'm disappointed. [...] and they were so lazy when it comes to 120th anniversary ... I can't even compare it to vogue paris 90th birthday issue.
I totally agree especially since Vogue Paris sold also an oversize cahier with great sexy and provocative pictures from the 90 years of the history of french Vogue. Something Vogue China also did with the most amazing oversize magazine I've ever seen so far (even bigger than W) for their 5th anniversary with incredible paper and amazing photos and covers! This 120th issue of US Vogue didn't even arrive at the 10% of amazingness that Chinese and French Vogue did. The models' pages was a lack of respect from Vogue: a mere 5 pages shown the models who made what the magazine's aesthetic is nowadays, the iPad shown a better version actually because the pics are in full-page mode, whereas in the mag they crunched the pics in one page with 4 models and yeah really bad! The overall issue is really deceiving, US Vogue produced their 100th anniversary way better!

Last edited by Bertrando3; 14-09-2012 at 10:30 AM.
14-09-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by marusenka View Post
I've got it, finally ... and I'm disappointed.
Me too, some great editorials but boring articles. Howewer I love the ads (only 2 pages with Givenchy ads )

18-09-2012
front row

Yeah, this issue was boring imo

V.I.P.

Bought it yeasterday, first of all I was unpleasantly surprised of the poor quality of the cover paper - it is very thin and without the "shiny layer"

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrando3 View Post
The models' pages was a lack of respect from Vogue: a mere 5 pages shown the models who made what the magazine's aesthetic is nowadays, the iPad shown a better version actually because the pics are in full-page mode, whereas in the mag they crunched the pics in one page with 4 models and yeah really bad!
... and that, too.

one of the most beautiful photos that I've seen in vogue lately (riccardo tisci & rooney mara) is a half page size ... why?!? they were afraid that september issue would be too big if it's one or two page size?

but it's ok to molest readers with 750 FULL pages of ad's.

19-09-2012
fashion elite

^Completely agree with you.
At least they gave 2 pages to Florence

20-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamorousBoy View Post
Bought it yeasterday, first of all I was unpleasantly surprised of the poor quality of the cover paper - it is very thin and without the "shiny layer"
That drove me insane, it also resulted in many of the issues being damaged, torn and color spilled, i was shocked the quality was the same as Glamour covers. (of course i forgot it was the same thing last year) The issue is not their best, but i certainly found some nice things in there.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, alas, gaga, lady, marcus, mert, piggott, september, vogue