How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-08-2012
fashion icon

I rather like the cover photo of Lady Gaga- by itself it's rather striking. And I think it'll be eye-catching on the newsstand. I get a bit of a modern Belle Epoque vibe from the gown (or is that just me?). But like others have said, it's the red banner which causes it to not be a stunning cover. It's way too distracting. I'm really excited to see the rest of the content for the September issue though.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 08-08-2012 at 11:57 PM.

08-08-2012
front row

Yeah Finally Ru Paul Is On The Cover Of Vogue!!!!!!

09-08-2012
you soft and only

^ I'm not sure if Ru would be happy with that comparison!

realitytvgifs.tumblr.com

:p

09-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I rather like the cover photo of Lady Gaga- by itself it's rather striking. And I think it'll be eye-catching on the newsstand. I get a bit of a modern Belle Epoque vibe from the gown (or is that just me?). But like others have said, it's the red banner which causes it to not be a stunning cover. It's way too distracting. I'm really excited to see the rest of the content for the September issue though.
I think the only thing about the picture that is striking is the color due to M&M's masterful use of color in their work. However, I also think that their work seems way too overpolished whenever in US Vogue. Just crazily photoshopped. The picture really just pops because of the color. It looks like a good cover at first, but then after your mind kicks in after looking at it for about 10 seconds (and recovers from the sensation from all that high contrast) you realize how unattractive it really is.

And I cannot stand the dress. The shape of it makes me think of wrapped candy. It cheapens the cover for me. To put the icing on an already bad cake, the hair is atrocious..its like she was just electrocuted! I do agree that as far as the face goes, it's better than her other cover. She looks pretty (a shame since there's so little attention to her face and more on the dress). Everything else doesn't really work. I actually like the red ribbon behind the masthead, but I think on the cover it doesn't work. It kind of throws the color scheme out of sync, which is the only thing the cover really has going for it overall...

The composition is kind of boring..it's way too much white space. I wish she filled the frame a little bit more.

Last edited by Mchunu; 09-08-2012 at 12:15 AM.
09-08-2012
fashion icon

vogue.com

This is the cover that was posted on Vogue.com, the dress seems more pink in this picture, no?

V.I.P.

I could have done without the red banner, but it doesn't offend me as much as it seems to other members. Over all I applaud US Vogue for experimenting that way. I love the shape she's making, the fact it's a full body shot, and I quite like the hair and make-up.

It would be much cleaner without the red banner but - and maybe this is just me here - it might have looked a little festive? Not that adding a red silk banner takes away any festive look!

09-08-2012
V.I.P.

The silhouette is like Tilda's multiple silhouettes for AnOther, combined, ANTM's "fierce" expression, model Lady Gaga, hands safe in the back.

V.I.P.

the only good thing about this cover is the fact that it's quite different from its previous covers but well, I am so sick of Lady Gaga being on Vogue.

09-08-2012
fashion elite

the problem is not the red banner, it's her hair. way too messy

if you take off the banner, it would be totally plain.

09-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
I love the shape of Gaga, the length, the curve of the dress, that halo of hair. Someone said it looks like a drawing, and it does, which could be why I like it so much. It really does evoke a fashion illustration - the exaggeration of the human form and the garment itself, that hurried quality of getting all of the detail down.

I hate the red banner, but I love the rest of it quite a bit. It's also amazing how doing something as simple as shooting a full body photo instead of a portrait can make all the difference.
I completely agree with you. My first thought was also that it looks like a fashion illustration. So pretty and artistic. And I'm also not sure about the red banner although I don't mind it that much, it could have been worse.

I find it spectacular, unexpected for US Vogue and it's very fitting for a September issue. In my opinion it's a great cover.

09-08-2012
V.I.P.

Omg this is just ridiculously bad! Looks like a recycled image of Thiery Mugler Alien ad and this hair and grey background...I cant believe this girl is even getting a page in the US vogue let alone the cover... She is just an epitome of TACKY PRETENTIOUS!

Last edited by KissMiss; 09-08-2012 at 02:08 AM.
09-08-2012
V.I.P.

you are all INSANE! seriously, i don't understand any of you.

this cover is EPIC. it's such a radical departure from the norm; everything from the wild hair, the crazy photoshopping, M&M, the red banner, the full body shot, etc. it's incredible. and it will be a MASSIVE seller, because 1) on a newsstand full of other fashion magazines, this cover will definitely jump out at you 2) it's Gaga. she has millions of monsters who will buy this

IN.
LOVE.

**also very excited about the 120 Years feature! i am curious as to which models will be included. and how far they'll go back in time to include them. (imagine Janice Dickinson! hahaaa)

fashion insider

OMG, the best Vogue US cover ever!!!

And 916 pages

Last edited by GIVENCHYlover; 09-08-2012 at 02:17 AM.
09-08-2012
backstage pass

Hideous, anybody remember when Kim Alexis, Paulina and Brooke Shields graced Septembers cover?

09-08-2012
V.I.P.

My jaw dropped when I saw this on her facebook.

I like the red banner. That's basically it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, alas, gaga, lady, marcus, mert, piggott, september, vogue