US Vogue Special Edition It Girl Style Fall 2016 : Gigi Hadid by Gregory Harris - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot
 
How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
17-10-2016
  31
V.I.P.
 
anlabe32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,002
This girl is not a model and the cover shows it.

  Reply With Quote
23-10-2016
  32
tfs star
 
ivano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,807
I really like the Hadid sisters. I don't understad the hate on her. She doesn't have a big untalented sister with plastic boobs, lips and butt. And their family doesn't have a sex tape with Ray J

  Reply With Quote
23-10-2016
  33
V.I.P.
 
kokobombon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buenos Aires
Gender: femme
Posts: 17,144
^plus, her mother was a model so itīs not that far fetched that sheīs also one. I donīt see any hate for Lily McMenamy for instance (I donīt think sheīs not a great model nor that pretty).

__________________
My Pinterest
My Instagram
  Reply With Quote
23-10-2016
  34
don't look down
 
tigerrouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Béal Feirste
Gender: femme
Posts: 14,430
I think part of the hate comes from seeing them shoehorned into every type of modelling job, whether it suits them or not, simply because they're the names of the moment.

I like them both, and there are things at which they excel, but neither of them are versatile enough to turn everything they do into a resounding success. And when you see them at their weakest, it's a reminder that there's probably someone out there who could be doing a better job, but because the world doesn't know their name on social media, nobody cares about their face.

At the same time, who could blame the Hadids for making the most of the opportunities that are coming their way? And I like to see models getting momentum, to watch a career take shape and to see what they can produce.

  Reply With Quote
23-10-2016
  35
V.I.P.
 
Benn98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bbbrrruummiiee
Gender: homme
Posts: 13,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
^plus, her mother was a model so itīs not that far fetched that sheīs also one. I donīt see any hate for Lily McMenamy for instance (I donīt think sheīs not a great model nor that pretty).
Not to detract from Yolanda's modelling career, but I don't think she was a top model in her heyday. The first time I ever heard of her was when these housewives series became popular. So her career does not even come close to that of Kristen McMenamy, who's a muse of Meisel and appeared on numerous covers and top campaigns.

  Reply With Quote
 
23-10-2016
  36
V.I.P.
 
Bertrando3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madrid
Gender: homme
Posts: 3,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
I think part of the hate comes from seeing them shoehorned into every type of modelling job, whether it suits them or not, simply because they're the names of the moment.

I like them both, and there are things at which they excel, but neither of them are versatile enough to turn everything they do into a resounding success. And when you see them at their weakest, it's a reminder that there's probably someone out there who could be doing a better job, but because the world doesn't know their name on social media, nobody cares about their face.

At the same time, who could blame the Hadids for making the most of the opportunities that are coming their way? And I like to see models getting momentum, to watch a career take shape and to see what they can produce.
THIS THISSSSSS is the best explanation for the quick success of these instagirls and I will add the following, mark my words: these girls will NEVER have the longevity and name recognition 20-30 years down the line as Linda, Naomi and Christy have had and still have. Why? For the same reason you just explained: because they are shoehorned into every type of modelling job, whether it suits them or not, simply because they're the names of the moment. And this doesnīt a SUPERMODEL make. This makes for these faces of the 2000 that went away and no one remembers.

__________________
C 시원한 KOREA high fashion magazine
  Reply With Quote
23-10-2016
  37
V.I.P.
 
Zposen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A la playa
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrando3 View Post
THIS THISSSSSS is the best explanation for the quick success of these instagirls and I will add the following, mark my words: these girls will NEVER have the longevity and name recognition 20-30 years down the line as Linda, Naomi and Christy have had and still have. Why? For the same reason you just explained: because they are shoehorned into every type of modelling job, whether it suits them or not, simply because they're the names of the moment. And this doesnīt a SUPERMODEL make. This makes for these faces of the 2000 that went away and no one remembers.
The real question is do they even want to? Hailey Baldwin (who is not in the same league as the Hadids) gave an interesting interview to HB Aus where she claimed that she is a business women and modeling is her business now. I think some of these girls want to just make a name for themselves as quickly as possible and then move on ala Cara Delevingne. I am not saying that it the case for sure but one gets the feeling that these girls are planning a long career in entertainment and modeling is just the stepping stone.

__________________


This life is a process of learning- Lauryn Hill
  Reply With Quote
24-10-2016
  38
The future is stupid
 
MissMagAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 25,677
Nosedive.

__________________
Love is what you want

  Reply With Quote
24-10-2016
  39
fashion insider
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlabe32 View Post
This girl is not a model and the cover shows it.
Thank you! Someone finally says what everyone else has been thinking but too afraid to say it.

  Reply With Quote
24-10-2016
  40
V.I.P.
 
Bertrando3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madrid
Gender: homme
Posts: 3,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zposen View Post
The real question is do they even want to? Hailey Baldwin (who is not in the same league as the Hadids) gave an interesting interview to HB Aus where she claimed that she is a business women and modeling is her business now. I think some of these girls want to just make a name for themselves as quickly as possible and then move on ala Cara Delevingne. I am not saying that it the case for sure but one gets the feeling that these girls are planning a long career in entertainment and modeling is just the stepping stone.
I totally understand what you mean and their goal too and I donīt think itīs bad but what I find confusing and annoying then is that for us here, the real model lovers and fans, we hear and see those girls taking jobs and covers and modeling opportunities where we could have real living fashion models who just want to model or at least whose mission is not to do this for 3-5 years and then move on. Linda to me is unique in this situation: she just did not do something else, her passion and dream was to just model and she still does. Thatīs the kind of girls and fashion models I want to see. I donī think any of us are interested in seeing girls who are just here for 15minutes and using modeling as a stepping stone.

However I do applaud them for being in fact business women ā la Tyra Banks/Heidi Klum or Gisele B. but these models have been modeling for 15 years+ SO thatīs why people respect their careers or achievements or whatever we want to call them.

I do know people find this passion for fashion models stupids perhaps and YES there are things way wayyyyyy more important to worry about in this world of course. But personally speaking I donīt like to see a bunch of instagirls who are, to quote Stephanie Seymour the ``bitches of the momentīī to entertain the fashion world for 3 years and then do something else. I want to see models like Coco, Caroline, Raquel, Gemma (that US Vogueīs next supermodel cover from back in the day is still for me the best cover in the world for REAL bonafide fashion models) model everyday and living the madness and passion for fashion: like Joan and Karlie do.

What do you think?

__________________
C 시원한 KOREA high fashion magazine
  Reply With Quote
24-10-2016
  41
V.I.P.
 
kokobombon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buenos Aires
Gender: femme
Posts: 17,144
I donīt think itīs these girls fault but the fashion world. Who would turn down working for top houses/mags/photographers? thatīs why I donīt get all the hate towards them, hate the game not the players.
With the Hadid girls, their mother was a model so perhaps it was their dream and passion to become one, to emulate her. Didnīt Gigi model for Guess when she was little?
I personally see them trying in their print work, Bella more so than Gigi but still... and I think they will be remembered if only because theyīre a big part of this "IG obsession" moment in fashion.

__________________
My Pinterest
My Instagram
  Reply With Quote
24-10-2016
  42
V.I.P.
 
Bertrando3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madrid
Gender: homme
Posts: 3,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
I donīt think itīs these girls fault but the fashion world. Who would turn down working for top houses/mags/photographers? thatīs why I donīt get all the hate towards them, hate the game not the players.
With the Hadid girls, their mother was a model so perhaps it was their dream and passion to become one, to emulate her. Didnīt Gigi model for Guess when she was little?
I personally see them trying in their print work, Bella more so than Gigi but still... and I think they will be remembered if only because theyīre a big part of this "IG obsession" moment in fashion.
I actually have seen Gigiīs talent and skills at modelling but Kendall Iīm sorry I see NO skills whatsoever. I do believe they are WAY WAY overexposed though and perhaps we wouldnīt hate them so much if we did not have them on EVERY Vogue cover and EVERY ad or editorial. Like come on. I donīt blame them at all, we would ALL do that and getting all the jobs they get. I blame Anna Wintour and the photographers to favour instagirls over fashion models who have been working their buts off to get where they are.

__________________
C 시원한 KOREA high fashion magazine
  Reply With Quote
24-10-2016
  43
front row
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: jakarta, indonesia
Gender: homme
Posts: 305
Here we go, real model discussion again...getting 8 vogue covers in one year is hardly everywhere. Gisele and Gemma at one point, scored more than 15 vogue covers in a year, and i dont read any complain or anyone called them overexposed.

  Reply With Quote
24-10-2016
  44
V.I.P.
 
Zposen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A la playa
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrando3 View Post
I totally understand what you mean and their goal too and I donīt think itīs bad but what I find confusing and annoying then is that for us here, the real model lovers and fans, we hear and see those girls taking jobs and covers and modeling opportunities where we could have real living fashion models who just want to model or at least whose mission is not to do this for 3-5 years and then move on. Linda to me is unique in this situation: she just did not do something else, her passion and dream was to just model and she still does. Thatīs the kind of girls and fashion models I want to see. I donī think any of us are interested in seeing girls who are just here for 15minutes and using modeling as a stepping stone.

However I do applaud them for being in fact business women ā la Tyra Banks/Heidi Klum or Gisele B. but these models have been modeling for 15 years+ SO thatīs why people respect their careers or achievements or whatever we want to call them.

I do know people find this passion for fashion models stupids perhaps and YES there are things way wayyyyyy more important to worry about in this world of course. But personally speaking I donīt like to see a bunch of instagirls who are, to quote Stephanie Seymour the ``bitches of the momentīī to entertain the fashion world for 3 years and then do something else. I want to see models like Coco, Caroline, Raquel, Gemma (that US Vogueīs next supermodel cover from back in the day is still for me the best cover in the world for REAL bonafide fashion models) model everyday and living the madness and passion for fashion: like Joan and Karlie do.

What do you think?
I see your point. Taking Joan as an example for her to have the success that she has and continues to have in the industry is directly linked to her hard work as well as a smart management team. After years of putting in the work in HF, she is now branching out. Karlie's career was more traditional in the beginning but now she is involve in many things (all good) and she was one of the first models to be overexposed with her friendship with Taylor Swift.

I think this is a new era and photographers and editors are always going to favor the "girls of the moment" because you always want your work to reflect the time it was done. It is really up the these girls management team to make sure they are not overexposed if they want a lasting memorable career which is probably not the case for these girls.

People often talks about talent but IMO there are few girls that are more talented than Gigi and Kendall. Most models today are hit and miss in print and few have presence on the runway. There are even fewer who excel at both. There is probably not going to be another group like you mentioned since the job itself is now expanding. Being beautiful, unique and having the ability to translate that into print, on the runway are not the only requirements now to become a successful model. Models will need to be able to sell magazines and products not just based on their looks or work. They have to have something extra, today is social media...
It will be interesting to see how much impact these girls will have when all is said and done...

__________________


This life is a process of learning- Lauryn Hill
  Reply With Quote
24-10-2016
  45
V.I.P.
 
Bertrando3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madrid
Gender: homme
Posts: 3,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zposen View Post
I see your point. Taking Joan as an example for her to have the success that she has and continues to have in the industry is directly linked to her hard work as well as a smart management team. After years of putting in the work in HF, she is now branching out. Karlie's career was more traditional in the beginning but now she is involve in many things (all good) and she was one of the first models to be overexposed with her friendship with Taylor Swift.

I think this is a new era and photographers and editors are always going to favor the "girls of the moment" because you always want your work to reflect the time it was done. It is really up the these girls management team to make sure they are not overexposed if they want a lasting memorable career which is probably not the case for these girls.

People often talks about talent but IMO there are few girls that are more talented than Gigi and Kendall. Most models today are hit and miss in print and few have presence on the runway. There are even fewer who excel at both. There is probably not going to be another group like you mentioned since the job itself is now expanding. Being beautiful, unique and having the ability to translate that into print, on the runway are not the only requirements now to become a successful model. Models will need to be able to sell magazines and products not just based on their looks or work. They have to have something extra, today is social media...
It will be interesting to see how much impact these girls will have when all is said and done...
Love your answer hehe thanks for sharing and itīs really cool to be able to have those conversations on thefashionspot. You were spot on with Joan and Karlie, thatīs the type of careers I would love ALL the high fashion top models to take. Not just relying on their faces or family names or social networks.

I also agree with you on the ``extra something for modelsīī. Different times bring different models indeed. I guess this era seems to be the social models only. I guess I want the next era to come right up ahaha

__________________
C 시원한 KOREA high fashion magazine

Last edited by Bertrando3; 24-10-2016 at 05:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2016, edition, fall, gigi, girl, greg, gregory, hadid, harris, special, style, vogue
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. Đ2018 All rights reserved.