How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-03-2011
V.I.P.

love fei fei, julia (part 1) and anais' shots they would have been better cover's

04-03-2011
███████████████

Amazing the editorial of Mario Testino loveeed the Abey photos

05-03-2011
V.I.P.

Glam Slam is great. I love Testino's work for V.
I'm also glad to see Carolyn. She's another one of the supermodels doing many eds recently. She looks stunning as always in that ed.
Karen's ed is lovely.

05-03-2011
V.I.P.

OH SNAP!
m: Joan, Abbey Lee, Arlenis, Chrystal, Candice, Julia, Eniko, Constance, Anouck

otheredition

05-03-2011
trendsetter

'Oh Snap' is very cool. I think we are going to see more of Candice in the future.

V.I.P.

Mario Testino's ed is so...fashion-y!

Now consider adding this issue to my magazine collection!

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
Britney is an icon. Plus her complete disregard for fashion has become iconic in itself.
Today it seems you only have to go to any one extreme and be lauded as "iconic". I'm not denying Britney Spears is an icon, but her particular lack of style or interest in fashion isn't what has made her "iconic".

Eh. I, for one, am not thrilled with either these covers or that Britney Spears is on them. I might've known Mario Testino would be booked to shoot her; the preview looks trite, safe and ultraboring. The monocoloring of her photos is irritating as well. It's eye-catching on the cover, but when it extends to the entire ed I feel cheated out of proper pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycombchild View Post
The word 'relevant' needs to be banned around here I think! She has a new album coming out, and once was one of the biggest stars in the world... I think, like people like Madonna, she's always going to be somewhat 'relevant'. There are plenty of people who still want to read about her I'm sure, and didn't her single break records the other week? I know Lady GaGa then broke them again, but still. She's still around, she's still big.
I see where you're coming from, but just because you're producing new material doesn't make you "relevant". Sure, Britney's historical relevance in music and entertainment has long since been cemented, but that she has an album coming out (the previews of which have so far sounded dated and uninspired -- but perhaps that's just me) which her fans are touting doesn't automatically make her currently "relevant", especially in the case of someone like Britney Spears, whose large core fanbase is notorious for its rabidness.

That said, "relevant" or not, why not Britney Spears? I don't see why magazine cover subjects always have to be so very currently relevant in order for him or her being featured to be seen as acceptable. Where's the surprise in that? My only beef with Britney Spears being on the cover here (in addition to the fact that I don't particularly like her) is that she is supposedly back at last and "better than ever", which I think is more than a little presumptuous, considering she was previously "back" both with Blackout and Circus, neither of which were really any comparative match for her early career successes (or the commercial and critical successes of certain other pop artists then or today). Now feels premature for a "comeback announcement", and the timing reduces this to little more than album promotion. And while I don't have much against promotion per se, I think I'll wait for the sales and radio play figures for her album to come in before I really believe "the bitch is back".

05-03-2011
she's got the look

mario testino has done it again! amazing editorial, love each photo

old-fashioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
Consider what Panos had to work with, he got the job done. This is Britney we're talking about, she really isn't THAT out there with fashion. Neither does she come off as she gives a rat's a$$. Panos's style is too dark for someone like Britney.
i wouldn't say it's too dark, but it's definitely too elaborated, which is exactly why i don't understand why he was hired for the job. it's not that he chose the clothes badly, it's just that many other stylists could have chosen clothes just as good as those... if i had heard he was styling this i'd think he'd do something edgy for britney - not lady gaga edgy, of course, but something a bit more interesting.

the other testino ed seems really nice, by the way.

tfs star

Panos said on his twitter that one of his latest cover that came out brought back memories of a bad shoot in the past. It's safe to say he was referring to this. Panos is way too talented for someone like Britney, who probably doesnt care or appreciate what panos has to offer. Panos is a regular contributor to V, I assume he was asked to style this based on that notion. Who better to ask than one of the best stylist in the business for a pop star than him? Perhaps the shoot may not have turned out the way it was intended to. That is only an assumption. Britney is not the best platform for elaborate creativity, not when we consider where her career is today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Ives927; 05-03-2011 at 07:49 PM.
05-03-2011
God Save McQueen

I get it, Britney is extremely famous and her disregard for fashion and all around hygiene makes the fashion community want to do her up and parade her on covers. I get it, I just don't like it. When I see Britney, there is such soulessness behind her eyes. She never seems to like what she does anymore. Granted, I think this cover does a better job at masking it with effects than some of her other recent covers (Pop, Elle, etc). I just feel uncomfortable looking at her.

05-03-2011
old-fashioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
Panos is a regular contributor to V, I assume he was asked to style this based on that notion. Who better to ask than one of the best stylist in the business for a pop star than him? Perhaps the shoot may not have turned out the way it was intended to.
well that makes sense indeed.

masquerade - even though i'm happy to see britney on a decent cover and find her disregard for fashion quite amusing, i do agree that she no longer seems to like what she does, and that is in her recent videos, shows, pictures... it's that sad-tired-happy face i mentioned, that not even the effects were able to mask in the blue cover.

compared to other recent issues of V, this one seems pretty good, though. if it wasn't so overpriced here i'd probably buy it.

you set the scene

Britney's interview is kind of sweet and honest-seeming. Also there are some great images in this issue! Karen's editorial is beautiful, love her and the colors. And Oh Snap! is fun.

07-03-2011
V.I.P.

Glam Slam
Feifei, Karmen, Julia, Lindsey, Abbey, Anais, Hannah, Jourdan by Mario Testino

fashioncopious

Last edited by tarsha; 07-03-2011 at 01:37 AM.
08-03-2011
there is no fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForChicSake View Post
didn't know britney was still relevant
She's not, but that never stopped V before.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#70, britney, mario, spears, testino