How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-05-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Style Savvy View Post
Asian issue? Really? They should rename it the Oriental issue because most of the "Asians" involved are from China, Japan, Taiwan or Korea.
orient made issue~

yeah i think it's kinda inappropriate...

13-05-2011
front row

hahahahaha. where is gaga ?
i can't see her through all the crap!
just bad taste

13-05-2011
backstage pass

although I have mixed feelings with Gaga herself, I like the cover.
But I agree, Gaga has nothing to do with the issue since it's the 'Asian issue'.

When in doubt, wear red.

I like the cover because it's really striking and unusual, yet I think Gaga as had enough V covers now. It becomes a bit silly.

trendsetter

Gaga is in the issue since she's arguably the biggest pop star right now and she was heavily involved in raising money for Japan.
A big portion of the profits made through this issue will go to Japan relief.
Why would they put an unknown asian model who will not bring in more revenue?
People are delusional and need to stop making it seem like it was Gaga's sole decision to be on the cover.
They chose her, not the other way around.

Get over it, Gaga sells and it was a great choice for them to put her on the cover considering she was 2010's biggest selling magazine cover model.
More sales = more donation to Japan.

The covers look nice.

13-05-2011
MON
V.I.P.

Asian Issue and it`s not even available in the Philippines.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroi View Post
Gaga is in the issue since she's arguably the biggest pop star right now and she was heavily involved in raising money for Japan.
People are delusional and need to stop making it seem like it was Gaga's sole decision to be on the cover.
There are five other covers in a year which they could've dedicated to Lady Gaga, and yet they chose to put her on the cover of a very thematic issue whose connection to her is thin at best. To me, this speaks of a lack of confidence in what they have accomplished with their Asian "special".

But if sales is the reason she's on the cover as opposed to someone who actually fits the theme but is likely to sell less, that's technically fine -- that's a business decision and V's to make. But to make a big deal about a grand "Asian" issue and then not having the guts to fully embrace it (e.g. with an Asian on the cover), and still further to argue that the main reason Gaga is on the cover is because no one better fitting was available to them for this purpose, is not.

Quote:
Stephen: Honestly, we searched high and low for Asian celebrities, and we seriously did our homework. But stars who are big in Asia rarely come to America, and getting someone shot over there the way we like things done, started to look tougher and tougher. Gaga and I were emailing the day “Born This Way” came out and I said, “You deserve another cover!” It turned out our Summer issue was coming out ten days before her new album was due to hit. And so I turned to Inez & Vinoodh to come up with an idea that showed her as 3 different characters: herself, a Japanese butterfly, and a Bollywood Shiva goddess. This was their idea, and it just seemed to fit so naturally.
But then I guess if they didn't have the guts to put someone Asian on the cover of their "Asian issue", we should hardly expect them to have the guts to admit it either.

13-05-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Style Savvy View Post
Asian issue? Really? They should rename it the Oriental issue because most of the "Asians" involved are from China, Japan, Taiwan or Korea.
Seriously... like China, Japan and Korea are the only countries that comprise Asia. It also seems that their best celebration of the booming nation of India is a ShivaGaga.

13-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
Asian Issue and it`s not even available in the Philippines.
So true but come on, they could've included models from Korea, Philippines, Thailand or India

trendsetter

^
word.

*eye rolls 360 dgress*

Memoirs of a Gaga? Really?

13-05-2011
tfs star

this is what some western people always wrong about asian. featuring only japanese and chinese model and then make a big "ASIAN ISSUE" that's so wrong! asian is not only japanese, chinese, korea etc, but there's phillipine, malaysia, thailand, indonesia, india. and i'm so agree that the tittle should be "ORIENTAL ISSUE" not ASIAN issue...

13-05-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroi View Post

Get over it, Gaga sells and it was a great choice for them to put her on the cover considering she was 2010's biggest selling magazine cover model.
More sales = more donation to Japan

The covers look nice.
I don't think people here are ignorant to the fact that she will push the sales of the magazine. The point is Gan gave a complete BS reason as to why V did not have an Asian model or actor on the cover, and instead, chose her. As mentioned, if he just said he wanted to push sales and raise money for charity, then I would understand. But seems like V wants to be trendsetters, yet aren't willing to take the slightest risk.

If you can't understand why some people are slightly outraged by having her on the cover of a supposedly "Asian issue", then as Ives927 had mentioned a few threads up, then how would you feel about Italian Vogue's all-black issue if they put a white celebrity on the cover instead of some of the top black girls?

13-05-2011
V.I.P.

I'm desperately in love with the cover choices. Also great editorials in this awesome issue.

13-05-2011
backstage pass

It's pretty interesting how often fashion magazines interpret "Asian" as being only about the China - Japan - Korea axis. You can scarcely argue that the rest of Asia doesn't also have relevant and quality material to offer for just one issue - India even has its own Vogue (for example), - while a representation of 3 of what, 48 (?) Asian countries is hardly representative of the diverse cultural and ethnic region that is Asia. From this perspective it's hard to understand how V can have spent "a year" on an "Asian" special without taking this into (any evident) consideration, and I'm not at all sure Gan & co. "did their homework" quite as seriously as he claims.

Last edited by TheCheekyCritic; 13-05-2011 at 04:32 PM.
14-05-2011
V.I.P.

^And let's not forget about Turkey, also with it's own Vogue.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#71, 2011, gaga, inez, lady, summer, vinoodh