How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-05-2011
front row

asian issue. italian chick on the cover?

15-05-2011
rising star

I still can't get over how heinous the covers are and I'm really annoyed at Stephen Gan for his stupid cop out. And yeah, Gaga can definitely sell issues, but to put her on the so-called "Asian Issue" was irresponsible. That'd be like having one cover for the Vogue Italia Black Issue and putting Kate Moss on it just because she's a bigger name than all of the other models. Oh and I love how Gan refers to Shiva as a goddess when he's definitely a male deity. Really "did his homework." What an idiot. The editorials are the only redeeming factor of this issue (excluding Gaga's).

Overall, V has gone down the ****ter for me and I'm really just getting over it. They had so much potential to really showcase the Asian talent of the moment in the industry with that cover. A cover with Fei Fei, Liu, Tao, Ming, Lakshmi, and any other models of Asian descent would have been so great. Even one with Asian designers would have been better than this mess (not just the Asian-American ones). But no, Lady Caca was put on the cover instead.

18-05-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Gaga is in the issue since she's arguably the biggest pop star right now and she was heavily involved in raising money for Japan.
A big portion of the profits made through this issue will go to Japan relief.
Why would they put an unknown asian model who will not bring in more revenue?
Then it makes better sense if they call this "the Relief Issue".
They could've just pick a popular Asian celeb and it can also sell well in the Asian region.

Putting that aside, the contents are really nice especially with Ming Xi's ed. How beautiful..

fashion elite

Please try to be considerate of different countries when using the word "Oriental". I for one, do not like it one bit, speaking from an Asian perspective. I personally prefer if people would use "South Asian" and "East Asian" respectively.

Quote:
An important factor in the usage of 'Oriental', regardless of perceptions of pejorativeness, is that it collectively refers to cultural, ethnic, and national groupings of people who do not necessarily identify themselves as associated, and hence can lead to inaccurate assumptions about similarity. (Compare 'the West.')

[edit] American English

While a small number of reference works used in the United States describe Oriental as pejorative, or antiquated but not necessarily offensive, the American Heritage Book of English Usage notes that:
It is worth remembering, though, that Oriental is not an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. It is most objectionable in contemporary contexts and when used as a noun, as in the appointment of an Oriental to head the commission. But in certain historical contexts, or when its exotic connotations are integral to the topic, Oriental remains a useful term.[6] Random House's Guide to Sensitive Language states "Other words (e.g., Oriental, colored) are outdated or inaccurate." This Guide to Sensitive Language suggests the use of "Asian or more specific designation such as Pacific Islander, Chinese American, [or] Korean".[7] Merriam-Webster describes the term as "sometimes offensive."[8]
People don't like to be referred to as Oriental.
However, I've noticed people still use the word Oriental to refer to places and things, i.e. rugs.

Last edited by mint condish; 18-05-2011 at 12:17 AM.
18-05-2011
backstage pass

what a joke. couldn't they even use Chinese properly on the cover of the Asian Issue? the correct character in the tagline is 辑 and not

tfs star

^ oh my.. what a shame.

Last edited by HSantorini; 18-05-2011 at 09:11 AM.
18-05-2011
tfs star

this cover is such an embarrassment...but i'm not gonna get mad, because Gaga is to the point where she has to be incendiary to just get attention, so, i'm not gonna give in

for shame, V

Hell on Heels

Now really, this is the top. ASIAN ISSUE and lady gaga on the cover, I can't. It's almost offensive. I won't buy this issue and I'm getting to the point in which i'll just start buying mags that keep on putting lady gaga in my face.

20-05-2011
V.I.P.

Terry Tsiolis' editorial is the one thing I find appealing, and even that borders on mediocre.

fashion insider

Gaga is on the cover of the Asian Issue, let's get over it and enjoy the magazine. I've read the same comments over and over.

20-05-2011
fashion icon

lol.. so ya.. i guess v magazine only considers asian as being chinese, japanese or korean??? hmmm

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierRaphael View Post
Gaga is on the cover of the Asian Issue, let's get over it and enjoy the magazine. I've read the same comments over and over.
h*** to the yeah and A to the men.

21-05-2011
backstage pass

i just ****ing love the cover. look at her hair,it is gorgeous<33333 awww and the make up!!! jesuss!!!! it is a must buy for everybody,i just love every little thing about the cover!

21-05-2011
V.I.P.

it's quite embarrassing because the Editor is Asian, and he had the potential to show something remarkable, and while the Terry and Nick Knight ed are gorgeous this issue is quite lackluster...I wonder what other's in the industry are saying about it

21-05-2011
rising star

These are amazing covers, love the one with no text

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#71, 2011, gaga, inez, lady, summer, vinoodh