How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-11-2008
V.I.P.

Love Kate

03-11-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanSuperstar View Post
hm. why? she looks totally unnatural the hair is too big. I love Kate, dont get me wrong!
Catherine Deneuve had crazy big hair.
Looking at some of the older shots of her, they've definitely captured her essence in these pics!

I can't wait to read the article. Kate's always been quite candid in interviews, but the last year or two she's become pretty brutally honest! Considering this is most probably her year for the Oscar i'm interested to see what she's got to say about it - aside from betting her &#*$ing *** she wants one!

03-11-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
Love Kate
Agreed.

03-11-2008
tfs star

class.

03-11-2008
front row

Well, since the editorial was already posted, I guess there's no need for UHQ scans. But perhaps these High Def caps would be better?

Nah, probably not.

All High Def caps ripped by Vamp

V.I.P.

Love to see the UHQ scans of the cover and eds, it looks incredible imo

04-11-2008
backstage pass

Stunning cover... really classy, thanks for the scans and caps!

tfs star

ooh la la!

04-11-2008
trendsetter

She better win the Oscar this year, she's a more deserving winner than any of the last ten Best Actress winners with the exception of Helen Mirren. How can Reese Witherspoon have an Oscar and Kate be emptyhanded after five nominations?? I think they take her for granted, It's like we better give it to Reese since lord knows when she'll get another chance so we'll wait and give it to Kate next year cuz she's always great and never chooses crap romantic comedies.

04-11-2008
trendsetter

great cover!! :love:

04-11-2008
V.I.P.

Stunning cover and editorial!

04-11-2008
Plain Ol' Beautiful

she looks absolutely wonderful. she truly is an inspiring woman.
i remember reading an interview with her where she said her butt looked like broccoli, but here she just oozes confidence.

The future is stupid

source | vanityfair

Quote:
Table of Contents

Features
272 ISN’T SHE DENEUVELY?
After five nominations, Kate Winslet may get the Oscar she deserves, doubling-down with back-to-back tours de force in The Reader and Revolutionary Road. Invoking France’s cinematic queen, Catherine Deneuve, for photographer Steven Meisel, the 33-year-old Brit tells Krista Smith about re-igniting the on-screen flame with Leonardo DiCaprio, life as a New York mom, and her continuing struggle with her self-image. Web special: More Winslet.

278 ONE KNIGHT AT BIRDLAND
Bruce Weber and Bruce Handy spotlight jazz master Sir George Shearing, who is riffing toward his 90th birthday.

280 THE SECRETS OF HIS SUCCESSION
Building an empire is one thing; founding a dynasty is another. At Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp., all eyes and ears have been on the balance of power among his four older kids and the ascent of his third wife, Wendi Deng. In an excerpt from his new book on Murdoch, Michael Wolff profiles a family with issues. Portrait by Annie Leibovitz.

288 THE LAUGH SUPPER
Peggy Sirota and Rich Cohen spotlight Judd Apatow, king of 21st-century comedy, whose next ensemble film, Funny People, stars one of his oldest pals: Adam Sandler.

290 THE TWILIGHT ZONE
The phenomenal, Harry Potter–like success of Stephenie Meyer’s teen vampire book series, “The Twilight Saga,” and other bloodsucking best-sellers has Hollywood sharpening its teeth. From this month’s Twilight movie to the new HBO series True Blood, James Wolcott checks out the beautiful and the fanged of the Gossip Girl generation. Photographs by Peggy Sirota.

294 VOICE OF AMERICA
Timothy Greenfield-Sanders and Diane Johnson spotlight Toni Morrison, whose book A Mercy goes deep into the U.S. psyche.

296 THE NEW YORK TIMES’S LONELY WAR
With most of the U.S. media withdrawn from Iraq, only The New York Times seems determined to stay the course. From inside the paper’s fortified Baghdad bureau, Seth Mnookin reveals the psychological and physical dangers that have faced the likes of John F. Burns, Dexter Filkins, and Alissa J. Rubin as the dramatic headlines of 2003 turned into a complex, difficult story that no one wants to read. Photographs by Benjamin Lowy and Jonas Karlsson.

302 FRANCO CUM LAUDE
Doug Inglish and David Kamp spotlight James Franco, the sleep-deprived star of this month’s Harvey Milk biopic.

304 IT HAPPENED IN HITSVILLE
Fifty years ago, songwriter and impresario Berry Gordy Jr. decided that the musicians he discovered should get paid, so he started his own label—Motown—which would change the racial and musical landscape of America. The men and women behind 100-plus chart toppers give Lisa Robinson an oral history of life at the Detroit studio known as Hitsville—and what really happened with the Supremes.

316 THE MONARCHS OF MOTOWN
Berry Gordy Jr., Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, and other Motown legends pose for a historic portfolio by Annie Leibovitz.

FANFAIR
153 31 DAYS IN THE LIFE OF THE CULTURE
Center stage: dancer Roberto Bolle leaps onto the American scene

156 The Cultural Divide

158 Elissa Schappell’s Hot Type

160 A. M. Homes votes for Milk; Bruce Handy hits the jackpot with Slumdog Millionaire; Leslie Bennetts spotlights Horton Foote

162 Mountaintop dining reaches new heights

166 My Desk—Richard Meier

168 Private Lives—the Webster heats up Miami’s fashion scene

170 My Stuff—Mark Ronson; Damian Woetzel celebrates 50 years of Alvin Ailey

172 Punch Hutton’s annual holiday Hot Gifts

180 The season’s best beauty booty; John Ortved discovers L’Occitane’s leading ladies

Columns
190 WALL STREET LAYS ANOTHER EGG
Tracing the global financial system from its Renaissance origins, through the Great Depression, to 21st-century Detroit, economic historian Niall Ferguson makes sense of a senseless crisis, explaining how Planet Finance imploded.

206 BLOOMBERG WITHOUT BLOOMBERG
With its ruthless competitiveness, its singular business model, and its bizarre editorial culture, Bloomberg News has continued to expand even as the media business shrivels. Under the new stewardship of former Time Inc. chief Norman Pearlstine, reports Seth Mnookin, the brainchild of New York’s mayor is poised to become the most consulted news source in the world. Photographs by Nigel Parry.

220 FROM MAYFAIR TO DUBAI
Over the past few years, Richard Caring has acquired a virtual monopoly on elite London dining establishments: Annabel’s, the Ivy, Le Caprice, and a dozen more. Can he turn their snob appeal into a global empire? Evgenia Peretz catches up with the increasingly high-profile restaurateur as his plans for a luxury franchise draw squeals of outrage from Mayfair society.

230 HALL OF FAME
Amy Fine Collins nominates Dawn Russell, who has joined with Este Lauder to give teenage girls a boost (and a spritz) of self-esteem. Portrait by Pamela Hanson.

232 HOUSE OF WAR
In Kosovo’s fight for independence from Serbia, Ramush Haradinaj’s savage victories earned him the nickname “Rambo”—and the post of interim prime minister—before landing him in front of a war-crimes tribunal in The Hague. After an acquittal, William Langewiesche follows Haradinaj home, to learn the only law that he and his clan obey. Photographs by Jonas Karlsson.

254 THE MANSION TRAP
Veronica DeGruyter Beracasa de Uribe swept publishing scion Randolph Hearst off his feet—and to the top of New York and Palm Beach society. Seven years after his death, her Hearst stepdaughters were astonished to find she was $45 million in debt. Vicky Ward traces a proud widow’s financial spiral, beginning with the mortgage on a house she couldn’t afford: her 52-room Florida villa.

VANITIES
267 PALMER D’OR

268 Cormac McCarthy cooks pasta with Craig Brown; Howard Schatz captures Greg Kinnear in character

270 Henry Alford gets rappers confused with desserts; That Was Then and This Is Now Et Cetera

114 EDITOR’S LETTER

118 CONTRIBUTORS

138 LETTERS
The Last of Marilyn

183 AIRGROUND

339 CREDITS

342 PROUST QUESTIONNAIRE
Roger Moore

05-11-2008
V.I.P.

Thanks for the review, MMA
Bruce Weber!

05-11-2008
V.I.P.

I so glad they didn't go with the English rose look, Kate looks amazing!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2008, december, fair, kate, meisel, steven, vanity, winslet