How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-04-2013
backstage pass

Great actress but horrible cover choice

02-04-2013
fashion icon

Oh! I just realized why I felt deja vu, it's because Tatler put Audrey on the cover a few months ago! In my mind VF & Tatler are in the same category and blend together.

fashion icon

^ I can relate to every word you said, but I only need to add I love this. Looks like a real vintage cover. I'm usually against this kind of images manipulation, but this time it's done very well.

02-04-2013
V.I.P.

it was impossible to take a bad picture of her, she is the timeless beauty

fashion icon

There's a black version on vanityfair.com:

02-04-2013
backstage pass

I like it

02-04-2013
trendsetter

It's time for a long lost dead celebrity cover again!

03-04-2013
Mr. Zhivago

I'm a subscriber and got the black cover

03-04-2013
fashion elite

God this magazine is such a joke that its funny. They are completely irrelevant and they know it.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
God this magazine is such a joke that its funny. They are completely irrelevant and they know it.
my thoughts exactly, VF is dead

04-04-2013
you soft and only

Dead compared to what? This isn't a "fashion" magazine. It's a pop culture/current events magazine.

They've always had a dead celebrity cover every couple years. In fact, it's amazing we don't see more covers of the Kennedys because Graydon Carter has such a hard on for them. Vanity Fair has many issues now, but I don't know if dead celebrity covers are among the worst.

04-04-2013
Mr. Zhivago

^ Exactly. It's a magazine primarily for reading and has lots of read-y things like articles and words, not much fashion outside of ads.

Their dead celeb covers never look bad, they always use good photos. Their March 2013 and May 2012 (TV women in bed) come to mind as pretty bad covers.

04-04-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
Dead compared to what? This isn't a "fashion" magazine. It's a pop culture/current events magazine.
i know that and it's bad at exactly this that's why imho they are dead and irrelevant regardless of who is gracing their covers.

04-04-2013
boop

I wouldn't say that VF is dead per se, but I would say that in terms of relevance it doesn't have the oomph and prestige it used to. A Vanity Fair cover used to be one of the things that sort of solidified a young star as moving into that next level or it served as the ultimate showcase for the best and brightest in entertainment, politics, society, etc. Agents and publicists would fight tooth and nail to have their talent on the cover of the Hollywood issue, whole debates would launch if someone deemed undeserving got a cover, or profile. It was - at least from my viewpoint - the pinacle of the celebrity-focused glossies and always presented its subjects in a manner that was unique and visually interesting.

Nowadays it doesn't seem as essential as it once did. I still subscribe for the in depth journalistic articles and every few months there is a real beautiful one that has a lot of substance, some of the features are also quite appealing.

In terms of cover choice it is a little hit or miss of late the trend towards putting dead golden age celebrities on the covers at least once a year really didn't start up until the late 2000s, but it stuck and now we've come to expect it. This year I think hands down worst cover was that Katie Holmes tabloid image that was downright sloppy and several months after people had stopped caring about her divorce drama. The James Bond cover didn't live up to expectations either, the Kate Middleton cover was another flop better suited for the Sun or National Enquirer.

That said, every so often they're on the money; that Jennifer Lawrence cover was well timed and quite pretty.

04-04-2013
fashion elite

I really like that Audrey is on the cover. I think she's one of the rare Golden Age Hollywood actresses who still has an air of mystery around her.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, audrey, bud, fair, fraker, hepburn, vanity