How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-06-2011
fashion elite

Virgine Issue 01 : Heather Marks by Ryan Yoon

pennylifeinpics.blogspot.com via. Markesina

scanned by -exclusive-

22-06-2011
V.I.P.

seen this in stores, nice cover!

fashion elite

Like A Virgin
Photography by Seiji Fujimori
Written by Corey Scott Arter
Modeled by Bregje Heinen
Quote:
Very few icons have had the scope of vision and longevity that Madonna has — and of those icons, even fewer are still relevant. Over the greater part of three decades, going on four, the Queen of Pop has stayed at the top, breaking world records over and again with each successive year. She is undoubtedly the most successful female pop artist of all-time; and she is arguably one of the most powerful women in the world.To say that Madonna is prolific would be the understatement of the century — but then again, it’s so hard to come by the words to describe the magic that she embodies. It’s for that reason that she was the ultimate source of inspiration for the premier issue of VIRGINE.The visionary behind the Madonna-inspired spread, appropriately entitled ‘Like A Virgin’, is no other than the magazine’s very own art director, Seiji Fujimori. If imitation is the highest form of flattery, then indeed, Madonna should be incredibly flattered by Fujimori’s twenty-three page spread.
moments, it rises above the usual clichéd visualizations — it is whimsical and surprisingly unexpected. Just as many of Madonna’s contemporaries reference and borrow from her oeuvre of styles, so too do the other characters in this visualization.
The central character is model Bregje Heinen as ‘Madonna’ of course, and alongside her, Fujimori has created a cast of ‘wannabes’ and androgynous look-alikes. in doing so, he has designed such an honest illustration of the chaos and following that has surrounded Madonna throughout her career.
“Madonna couldn’t be Madonna by herself,” says Fujimori. She is a collaborator in the greatest sense, and she has shown the world that she is not bound by any one medium. “She gives us all direction on lifestyle, fashion, new-waves — she’s always fresh, like a virgin…and that’s why she fits with our magazine.”
There's a video with all the shots here: http://www.virginemag.com/home/like-a-virgin/

virginemag.com

Last edited by Hoother; 22-06-2011 at 02:58 AM.
22-06-2011
fashion elite

Azzedine Alaïa Interview
by Eric Waroll
Photography by Txema Yeste
Translated and edited by Carlotta Morteo
Quote:
Azzedine Alaïa’s showroom / shop / workshop / office feels timeless. The floor is covered in parquet; the rooms are filled with natural daylight from the large windows. The walls and brick towers supporting the ceiling are a dazzling red. Neither too retro nor too futuristic, the creations of the Tunisian-born designer are set out in harmony with the design of the room.

Holder of two fashion Oscars, Alaïa doesn’t have to worry about his place as one of the greatest in the history of fashion. But skills come withhardships, patience, and enduring passion. Since a young age, he was fascinated by the creations he discovered in the copies of Vogue. At Guy Laroche, Alaïa launched his first collection of ready-to-wear for Charles Jourdan in the ’70s. It was in the ’80s that Alaïa impressed the fashionworld by focusing on perfectly fitted fabrics that embraced the shape of bodies and exposed the chic and sensuality of his subjects. The creator isseen as both a designer and an architect.
He created innovative and amazing outfits and developed a strong clientele: Grace Jones (with whom he still works closely), Madonna, NaomiCampbell (who became his muse), and more recently, Michelle Obama.
What struck me first and most about him was his radiant personality and energetic character; he invited me to join him at the table along with his team. Azzedine Alaïa loves to laugh. He challenged one of his team members to eat a dangerously spicy sauce and proved that he could eat largeamounts of it himself. I was having breakfast with a legend of fashion, yet I witnessed his respectful humanity.
Full interview here: http://www.virginemag.com/home/azzed...aia-interview/

virginemag.com

22-06-2011
fashion elite

All You Can Get
Photography by Ryan Yoon
Styling by Hissa Igarashi
Written by Corey Scott Arter
Models include Cintia Dicker and Danielle Seits
Quote:
The fashion industry has and continues to pride itself on innovation and tireless evolution. So much of what fashion stands for is well intended: beauty, imagination, and determination to move forward.
The aughties (2000-2009) saw the rise of numerous fashion-inspired television shows and movies, from Sex and the City to Project Runway. At least one thing became very clear: fashion, along with technology, claimed center-stage. As we begin to define the next decade, we can all be assured that there are some very large, perhaps uncontrollable, forces at play.
For one, there is a growing, undeniable sense of democracy in fashion. The days of exclusivity and elitism are fast fading. We can no longer deny the power of participation and connectivity. And if that seems like a stretch, then stay tuned – entities like Facebook and Twitter are only the beginning.
Of course, nearly every major fashion-related brand has jumped on the social media bandwagon. To be absent in social media these days is something akin to brand suicide. With that said, VIRGINE is jumping into the fast lane, face-first into the future.
The magazine’s Creator and Editor-in-Chief Ryan Yoon has big ideas for the brand, not least of which includes the development of a collaborative social media network. “To make a long story short, I really wanted to make a platform for up-and-comers. I want VIRGINE to be a bridge for new-comers”, says Yoon. “VIRGINE is about what people want, not just what the fashion industry thinks people want.”
Truth be told, the equation of fashion is not as one-sided as it seems. Just as fashion works from the top down, so too does it work from the bottom up. In other words, trends are created in both directions. Acknowledging that truth is at the top of VIRGINE’s list. “The bigger picture for the VIRGINE brand is to inspire change.”
Of course, one needn’t turn too many pages in the premier issue of VIRGINE to get a glimpse of that ‘bigger’ picture. The brand’s editorial philosophy shines through from beginning to end, especially in Yoon’s featured photo-story, All You Can Get.
So often, we flip through fashion magazines and it’s the rare publication that shows its reader something worth stopping for – something arresting. To put it simply, that is the best way to describe All You Can Get.
Compositionally, each image is unique, exemplifying a certain attention to cleanliness and complexity. The positive-negative space relationships and the graphical structures that fill each picture space are consistent, yet the spread is not redundant, nor is it formulaic.
The unexpected translation of familiar objects and commercial products like Diet Coke and Tide into a fashion context is crafty and clever. More importantly, the boldness and ingenuity brings the spectator back to the publication’s sexy title – a title that stands for freshness and imagination.
“The spread took five months, numerous collaborators and endless planning and coordination, but we did it,” says Yoon. “We dreamed big, and we made it happen. We want our readers and collaborators to feel the same way. No fear.”
Indeed, the spread is quite the dream come true. It establishes a estimable standard of vision and collaboration, not only for VIRGINE, but for all visual artists. And if there’s one thing to walk away with, readers can be sure that there will be much more imagination to come in future issues. ”We are going to keep pushing the quality and the cross-collaborations,” says Yoon. ”We’re prepared to work even harder.”

virginemag.com

23-06-2011
V.I.P.

Woah. That's stunning. Heather needs a comeback stat.

23-06-2011
V.I.P.

Great! She's stunning!

23-06-2011
fashion elite

wow what a gorgeous cover. just so beautiful!!!!!!

23-06-2011
backstage pass

What is this magazine where can I get it I need it now.

fashion elite

^
Quote:
VIRGINE Magazine is a brand new innovative high fashion, art and music platform set to revolutionize the way people interact with the fashion industry. Through our proximity with today’s major influential voices in the fashion field, we have managed to develop a magazine that stays ahead of current styles and trends.

VIRGINE is seeking ways to increase societies’ devotion to charity contribution, so every issue our magazine’s first page will be dedicated to charity oriented advertisements.

In addition, we want to create a fashion platform that serves as a bridge between top industry professionals and up-and-coming artists to be showcased side by side under the esthetic and standards of VIRGINE.

Furthermore, VIRGINE wants to innovate by forming bridges between different industries. Imagine an article written by a fashion model who wants to become an editor or an interview conducted by the actual photographer who shot the subject. This is the kind of content we are looking for; content that brings a different perspective to our audience

With VIRGINE, you will be propelled into a global culture of beauty, esthetic, creativity and innovation.
Publisher/Editor in Chief
Ryan Yoon

I assume it's only distributed in the US at the moment.

09-09-2011
V.I.P.

I'm currently in Hong Kong and I saw this issue in the bookstore. Wanted to see if there were more previews before I decide whether to purchase it or not as it's rather pricey.

The cover blew me away though. Like that it's inspired by Madonna as well.

fashion elite

wasn't this been posted before somewhere else? Anyways I love the cover and it's so nice to have Heather on the cover, it's been ages, wonder why her agents or the castings directors didn't pick her in the recent seasons/magazines' editorial stories, coz she's great.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
01, heather, issue, marks, ryan, virgine, yoon