How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-03-2013
tfs star

Love the cover.

09-03-2013
scenester

Like the cover minus the awkward finger position.

09-03-2013
backstage pass

Love what they're doing inside the mag but as yet they haven't defined a cohesive cover philosophy & aesthetic ... Apart from the typography this & the previous cover are not connected in anyway especially given that this is a series. However Julia Norbis & the horse was the most random cover pic ever!

10-03-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoanceleb View Post
Love what they're doing inside the mag but as yet they haven't defined a cohesive cover philosophy & aesthetic ... Apart from the typography this & the previous cover are not connected in anyway especially given that this is a series. However Julia Norbis & the horse was the most random cover pic ever!
Firstly, despite being a 'series' why should the covers be at all connected or alike? That would be so repetitive and stale.

And secondly, in regards to Julia's cover, as an Australian you should know at least that horse was not a random horse...it's Black Caviar. Plus the issue was during the Spring Racing Carnival season. Edwina and her team timed/caught the mood-zeitgeist perfectly.

10-03-2013
fashion icon

Her pose was awkwardly chic.

10-03-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
It looks like she is picking her nose! Not so into this cover.
I can't unsee

V.I.P.

Not a massive fan of Miranda's pose or the photographer's composition. Although I've witnessed much worse. You have to applaud Edwina McCann for doing a series of model covers, due to the amount of celebrities that front most other editions.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL92 View Post
Firstly, despite being a 'series' why should the covers be at all connected or alike? That would be so repetitive and stale.

And secondly, in regards to Julia's cover, as an Australian you should know at least that horse was not a random horse...it's Black Caviar. Plus the issue was during the Spring Racing Carnival season. Edwina and her team timed/caught the mood-zeitgeist perfectly.
True about the series, I suppose my point is that it is completely random when compared to the last one. Unless you're Vogue Italia, most Vogue's have a flavour or something that readers can expect and rely on.

In terms of Julia's cover, while it was during Spring Racing season & Black Caviar, I still wouldn't say they caught the mood perfectly. Timing? - Yes, but the cover as I noted at that time it was released, resembles more a Corporate Annual Report or a Newspaper Supplement as opposed to a Vogue cover. When I think of memorable equine type editorials & covers, I think of Arizone Muse by David Sims for US Vogue (2011); Helena Christensen by Lindbergh for UK Vogue (1990); or even Kirsty Hinze by Richard Bailey for Aus Vogue (1995) and even Anna Claudia Michels for ID (2000)

When I speak of a cohesive cover strategy/aesthetic I look at the other titles such as HB Espana & UK, HB under Tilberis, Vogue US, Japan, UK, Paris & Germany (& Vogue Australia under Clements) who all have a specific look that readers & advertisers can come to rely on (this was a legacy of Clements). It can be predictable but at least its not schizophrenic, which to me is a sign of a immature publication or one that hasn't yet defined their identity.

As I stated previously, I think inside the mag is wonderful and I love the new youthful vitality and global audience McCann, Centenera et al are bringing to VA however I'd like to see a style of cover that has their unique mark on it. If you lined up all the covers since McCann has been EIC you wouldn't know that they were from the same family. By contrast, even HB Aus's 15 different anniversary covers all have something that marries them together. And even VA's Miss Vogue covers have uniformity though they are disparate.

Anyway sorry for the essay, I'm just substantiating what I mean and replying to your response.

I have passionately loved Vogue Australia covers & magazine since the 80s (one of my fave type of IG posts), and I want it to be an excellent publication.

Last edited by samoanceleb; 11-03-2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: removed possible self-promotion reference
11-03-2013
fashion elite

I hate awkward poses on covers I bet there are a lot of better images than that one. I like the colors.

12-03-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue28 View Post
You have to applaud Edwina McCann for doing a series of model covers, due to the amount of celebrities that front most other editions.
I must agree with you. Given Australia, like the US and UK, is often a celebrity driven market any use of models on covers is fantastic.

It's not a bad cover but I'm not fully convinced. I'm sure it's one of those covers that always look good in reality.

12-03-2013
V.I.P.

Such a gorgeous cover.

12-03-2013
V.I.P.

really boring choice but it's pretty..

trendsetter

Here is a preview of Miranda's editorial
source: twitter.com/WorldMirandaK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BFLnH6BCAAAfg05.jpg-large.jpg (68.3 KB, 5 views)

13-03-2013
trendsetter

I forgot to mention that it's shot by Miguel Reveriego.

13-03-2013
backstage pass

I have to admit, I am pretty intrigued what the editorial will be like..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, april, australia, kerr, miguel, miranda, reveriego, vogue