Vogue Australia August 2017 : Bella Heathcote by Paolo Roversi - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-07-2017
fashion icon

Waste of Roversi, his unique vision and talent. This looks like usual boring Demarchelier only with different lighting

16-07-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTheGreatest View Post
^yes, exactly. To me it looks like a cover of some bridal magazine. It's beautiful though.
Agreed.

Bella is stunning, but the pose and styling scream bridal magazine, I'm not loving this at all.

16-07-2017
V.I.P.

She's very pretty, but I find her so damn boring.. and she's always styled in this fairy, ethereal type of thing. No thanks.

17-07-2017
fashion insider

^^^ This whole Elle Fanning/Delpozo fairy tale princess of 2017 is such a far far far cry from the haunted, fevered-dreamy, sleepwalker of the Romeo Gigli version I still adore so much to this day— probably even more so cos it was so subversive. It’s just so literal these days. ...Zzzzzzz….

I’ll always dig VA’s casual, outdoorsy, athletic take on high fashion when they do it well… Lately, Vogue Australia has become rather insecure/schizo/clueless/lost these last few covers. The Paris Jackson cover resembled some Self Magazine-type cover, and now this delicate sleeping beauty, bridal crap… Maybe it’s them taking a hint from that awfully timid Tonchi and his directionless W and think that'll attract a wider demographic…? But all it does is diminish their impact by selling short on their Australian identity of an athletic, effortless elegance to high fashion.

17-07-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
I’ll always dig VA’s casual, outdoorsy, athletic take on high fashion when they do it well… Lately, Vogue Australia has become rather insecure/schizo/clueless/lost these last few covers. The Paris Jackson cover resembled some Self Magazine-type cover, and now this delicate sleeping beauty, bridal crap… Maybe it’s them taking a hint from that awfully timid Tonchi and his directionless W and think that'll attract a wider demographic…? But all it does is diminish their impact by selling short on their Australian identity of an athletic, effortless elegance to high fashion.
I've come to the conclusion that all the huge circulation Vogue editors must have Anna Wintour's picture pinned on their lockers. The power editor. Edwina McCann, just like Angelica Cheung, started off pretty good and expanded her title right into the global fashion stratosphere. She made this edition sought after, and even went so far as to create its own creative aesthetic in terms of styling and photography (not an easy feat). I don't think Vogue Australia was as globally renowned under Clements, in a commercial sense, as it is under McCann. Yet throughout it all, the creative output of the magazine wasn't compromised because she's got a good eye for images. For quite some time they were masterful with their energetic take on summer fashion.
Problem started when she began adding on all these extras to the magazine. Suddenly she went from overseeing a magazine to focusing more on Vogue Brides, launching Miss Vogue and a special Mandarin edition for Chinese tourists in Australia and lots of other deals. This year, for instance, marked Vogue Australia's 2nd annual Coding segment, but the legwork for it was started well in advance. With all these time-consuming initiatives, something must suffer. And it's always the creativity, always. Vogue China is in exactly the same boat.

When I flip through the old Catherine McNeil or Abbey Lee Kershaw 'OG model editions' what impress me most is the flow of the images, the style of it. It's impeccable, and you could sense that a lot of thought went into it.
I am still hopeful she'll pull up her socks. Even in this odd state, her direction is never complacent or static. Every now and then the art direction changes, the imagery changes. For me that shows that she's at least trying something new instead of being held ransom by sales figures (see Alexandra Shulman).

Last edited by Benn98; 17-07-2017 at 12:54 PM.

17-07-2017
fashion insider

^^^ Good point, Benn.

With all these expansions— of which the ultimate goal is to make money (and secure a high standing for VA on the Vogue-brand parthenon), surely the addition of one or two associate editors to pick up the slack would be a wise move…? She absolutely has a great eye for layout and composition— or, at least knows to surround herself with competent art directors/graphic designers. And for that, VA has its place in my top 3 Vogues.

This is a… “nice” (enough) cover; I mean, it’s very pretty, soft, girly etc… Just too saccharin for my sensibilities— and too far removed from VA’s slick, sun-kissed aesthetic. My preferred direction for a softness is their cover with Kim K: I find her completely useless as a persona. But that was one gorgeous, brilliant branding of pointless celebrity that obviously, still remains memorable to me… For all the high fashion dreammaking and theatricality that I may be attracted to and appreciate, in the end, nothing is more sensual, attractive and timeless than a confident, effortless elegance of a fresh face, tussled hair, and non-fussy and non-precious approach to high fashion. And VA at its best, really captures that brand of spirit so well.

18-07-2017
trendsetter

It's pretty but such a boring and forgettable cover. I really don't like how centred everything is.

18-07-2017
rising star

Gorgeous cover, but seems more fitting for a bridal magazine.

24-07-2017
trendsetter

Review:

Bella De Jour (6 pgs)
Photographer: Paolo Roversi
Stylist: Alex White
Celeb: Bella Heathcote

Through the Looking Glass (16 pgs)
Models: Ine Neefs, Abel Roos, Ansley Gulielmi

Girl Interrupted (18 pgs)
Photographer: Nicole Bentley
Stylist: Kate Darvill
Model: Duckie Thot

The Age of Beauty (6 pgs)
Photographer: Charles Dennington
Stylist: Mark Vassallo
Model: Lou Kenny

24-07-2017
V.I.P.

Thanks for posting, Rigida!
It looks like there are no reprints this month, which is a plus. I'm keen to see the model feature, casting sounds great. Hopefully this too will be a Dior retrospective feature.

It seems we're seeing less and less of Christine Centenara at this issue....

24-07-2017
backstage pass

Bella De Jour (6 pgs)
Celeb: Bella Heathcote

wearesodroee

Last edited by MarkPoli; 24-07-2017 at 03:26 AM.
24-07-2017
backstage pass

Through the Looking Glass (16 pgs)
Models: Ine Neefs, Abel Roos, Ansley Gulielmi

weibo.com/chenwanliqq

Last edited by MarkPoli; 24-07-2017 at 03:31 AM.
24-07-2017
backstage pass

wearesodroee

Last edited by MarkPoli; 24-07-2017 at 03:33 AM.
24-07-2017
backstage pass

Girl Interrupted (18 pgs)
Photographer: Nicole Bentley
Stylist: Kate Darvill
Model: Duckie Thot

wearesodroee

24-07-2017
V.I.P.

Will definitely make plans to get this issue! I'm very impressed with Roversi's take here. It's light and dreamy, perfect for an issue anticipating spring. We've seen these looks endless times before, so no literal interpretation (see Vogue Spain) was needed. The third shot of Bella's editorial should've been the cover - as a fold-out.

I'm most impressed with Duckie Thot's (very unfortunate name, I'm afraid) feature! Her look works so perfect for this, and overall it's very early 90's in a way. Bentley certainly surprised me. I was looking for another lavender walled studio shot.

Thanks for posting, MarkPoli!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2017, august, australia, bella, heathcote, paolo, roversi, vogue