How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-10-2012
trendsetter

Vogue Australia December 2012 : Julia Nobis & Black Caviar by Benny Horne

source: dailytelegraph.com.au

Here's the HQ image of the cover! I don't know why the previous thread got deleted but are Mods we able to combine the two? Thanks! Ps. she's wearing McQueen

Last edited by AL92; 28-10-2012 at 03:16 AM.

28-10-2012
rising star

I don't think this is a striking cover but Julia is concurring the fashion world day by day.

28-10-2012
trendsetter

And here is a preview of Julia's editorial. It was shot in the Dandenong Ranges, Victoria.

source: dailytelegraph.com.au

28-10-2012
V.I.P.

Julia and her lifelessness never fail to disappoint me. Hell, the horse has more personality than her on this cover.

28-10-2012
V.I.P.

^totally agree. If there was a different model on the cover, just ANY other model, this would have been decent.

28-10-2012
V.I.P.

Whilst I understand Black Caviar's rich racing background, I fail to understand how it warrants the freakin' cover of Vogue. At the end of the day, Vogue's a fashion magazine.. aside from Julia's dress, that's about the one fashion element I see. Julia being so vacant and lifeless doesn't help matters, either.

Mag Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL92 View Post
Here's the HQ image of the cover! I don't know why the previous thread got deleted but are Mods we able to combine the two? Thanks! Ps. she's wearing McQueen
i guess it was deleted because of the source? the wasn't even printed and still in production stage, so maybe the mods deleted it to prevent any issues with Condé Nast?

Anyway, now we have the whole image and i think it's an okay cover but nothing outstanding.
thx for sharing

28-10-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue28 View Post
Whilst I understand Black Caviar's rich racing background, I fail to understand how it warrants the freakin' cover of Vogue. At the end of the day, Vogue's a fashion magazine.. aside from Julia's dress, that's about the one fashion element I see. Julia being so vacant and lifeless doesn't help matters, either.
Well it does tie in with the highly festive and VERY fashion orientated racing carnivals in Sydney and especially Melbourne.

28-10-2012
V.I.P.

Forgive me, I'm not knowledgeable about Australian culture and events. So.. that's the excuse for Black Caviar's presence. But I still don't understand how the horse could end up on the cover of Vogue. Yeah, feature the horse as much as possible in the editorial.

I wonder how another model and photographer would have handled the direction. Maybe something similar to what Masha Novoselova achieved on the cover of British Bazaar.

trendsetter

Quote:
Forgive me, I'm not knowledgeable about Australian culture and events. So.. that's the excuse for Black Caviar's presence. But I still don't understand how the horse could end up on the cover of Vogue. Yeah, feature the horse as much as possible in the editorial.

I wonder how another model and photographer would have handled the direction. Maybe something similar to what Masha Novoselova achieved on the cover of British Bazaar.
Don't be sorry at all! I think because Black Caviar is a highly celebrated horse, who actually won Royal Ascot, she is quite mainstream and most Australians can identify her.

Personally speaking, the preview ed pic I posted would have made a better cover image...should be interesting to see what the subscriber edition will be like. If Will Davidson had shot this in the natural landscape, it would have added more substance to the concept/image.

Last edited by AL92; 28-10-2012 at 05:32 AM.
28-10-2012
V.I.P.

Must admit that I do remember seeing Black Caviar at Royal Ascot, and all the emphasis was on this particular horse. But since I don't have an interest, I forgot.

I agree about the editorial preview shot making a better cover. The composition is more cover-friendly. I also agree about the natural environment idea. As I mentioned before, Masha on British Bazaar was more fashionable, non? I just Googled the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria, and what a remarkable location. The potential is just lost.

trendsetter

Quote:
Must admit that I do remember seeing Black Caviar at Royal Ascot, and all the emphasis was on this particular horse. But since I don't have an interest, I forgot.

I agree about the editorial preview shot making a better cover. The composition is more cover-friendly. I also agree about the natural environment idea. As I mentioned before, Masha on British Bazaar was more fashionable, non? I just Googled the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria, and what a remarkable location. The potential is just lost.
I totally agree...Masha's cover looks fantastic. And unfortunately, they creative team did not utilise the full potential of their location. They would have produced some absolutely stunning and realised images had they utilised the Dandenong Ranges' natural beauty. Shame...

Last edited by AL92; 28-10-2012 at 05:53 AM.
28-10-2012
fashion insider

Yuck. What a bad choice of a model, her pose is so wierd, not to mention her body looks very warped especially in the dress. This could definetely be nominated for worst cover of the year.

MON
V.I.P.

Without the foil effect, the cover looks as bland as it could get

fashion elite

^ ditto, very bland

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, australia, benny, black, caviar, december, horne, julia, nobis, vogue