How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-01-2014
Mag Master

same source

incredebly boring even Suvi can't save it

11-01-2014
Mag Master

Photographer: Giampaolo Sgura
Model: Katlin Aas
Styling: Christiane Arp
Hair: James Rowe
Make Up: Jessica Nedza
Nails: Jackie Saulsberry

zinio

this is so good & the tumblr fashiongirlies will it

11-01-2014
Mag Master

Photographer: Greg Kadel
Models: Maggie Rizer & ??
Styling: Nicola Knels
Hair: Marki Shkreli
Make Up: Mariel Barrera
Nails: Dawn Sterling

zinio

11-01-2014
scenester

The colours of the print on the cover is horrendous, makes Suvi look so washed out and dull

11-01-2014
trendsetter

I appreciate the simplicity of the main cover story. I just feel perhaps Suvi lacks the conviction necessary to carry such editorial...a bit too vacant looking?

The 'Femme Universelle' editorial is quite sublime.

11-01-2014
fashion icon

The main ed with Suvi is incredibly boring. "Signal Reize" is quite nice! Love all the redhead models!

11-01-2014
V.I.P.

love greg kadel's work as always

and i like suvi's as well, the other editorial is boring

V.I.P.

The styling in Welt Offen is impeccable ... you often see this type of combinations (particularly in European publications) go so terribly wrong, either it borders in costume territory, or it just looks moronic or apologetic ('despite this messy ethnic mess, look at how we combine it with civilized elements you can actually relate to!'). Nicola Knels blended it so well that it's not going anywhere or making a point, it's just there making perfect sense with each ensemble and looks more like a small celebration of the diversity of techniques for clothing-making.

Also pretty surprised/amazed to see Maggie Rizer and looking exactly as she did 15 years ago, I actually thought it was a newbie Maggie look-alike at first. Crazy.

Giampaolo's story is the weakest part of the issue imo... the concept of the story is reminiscent of those days when Koto Bolofo was working regularly for Vogue Germany.... hard to believe they're still clearly aiming for this type of stories and using someone so creatively and technically inferior that probably charges more than someone like Koto. Mat makes a good point on the target that could love this (tumblr devotees), and I'd argue they can handle the same concept in a less commercial, less basic execution, but magazines don't seem to think so... they haven't acknowledged (or refuse to do acknowledge) that there is a younger generation that lives for imagery probably more than they live for clothes and makeup tricks, and that have expectations that could easily raise the bar in any publication and enough knowledge to appreciate actual creativity, not the secondary leftovers of someone without input in his field like Giampaolo.

I'll probably pick this up though, just for the main story.

Thanks for all the work, Mat!

V.I.P.

Nicola Knels' styling in both stories makes the editorials that much better.

11-01-2014
fashion icon

I fell in love with Suvi last year when she covered VP, so she is beautiful but god this editorial is boring. Her facial expression isn't changing at all, you can make a gif with bodies and backgrounds changing but the head staying the same.

12-01-2014
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
The styling in Welt Offen is impeccable ... you often see this type of combinations (particularly in European publications) go so terribly wrong, either it borders in costume territory, or it just looks moronic or apologetic ('despite this messy ethnic mess, look at how we combine it with civilized elements you can actually relate to!'). Nicola Knels blended it so well that it's not going anywhere or making a point, it's just there making perfect sense with each ensemble and looks more like a small celebration of the diversity of techniques for clothing-making.

Also pretty surprised/amazed to see Maggie Rizer and looking exactly as she did 15 years ago, I actually thought it was a newbie Maggie look-alike at first. Crazy.

Giampaolo's story is the weakest part of the issue imo... the concept of the story is reminiscent of those days when Koto Bolofo was working regularly for Vogue Germany.... hard to believe they're still clearly aiming for this type of stories and using someone so creatively and technically inferior that probably charges more than someone like Koto. Mat makes a good point on the target that could love this (tumblr devotees), and I'd argue they can handle the same concept in a less commercial, less basic execution, but magazines don't seem to think so... they haven't acknowledged (or refuse to do acknowledge) that there is a younger generation that lives for imagery probably more than they live for clothes and makeup tricks, and that have expectations that could easily raise the bar in any publication and enough knowledge to appreciate actual creativity, not the secondary leftovers of someone without input in his field like Giampaolo.

I'll probably pick this up though, just for the main story.

Thanks for all the work, Mat!
Indeed beautiful styling in both of Nicola's eds, is so rare to find such good ensembles nowadays. Both completely different but really charming.

Also agree on Giampaolo's point

14-01-2014
V.I.P.

Suvi's ed is sensational! Not to mention Katlin's ed!!! So Haute
Nice to see the amazing Maggie Rizer on set! Icon. Great issue.

Eva Riccobono Mariacarla Boscono Freja Beha Erichsen Jessica Stam Erin Wasson Alek Wek Liya Kebede Joan Smalls Yasmin Warsame Constance J. Jaquelyn J. Hanne Gaby Julia Stegner Lily Donaldson Kate Moss
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2014, february, germany, koponen, suvi, vogue