Vogue Germany July 2017 : Anna Ewers by Giampaolo Sgura - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-06-2017
fashion insider

^^^That's a "nice" shot (very consumer-friendly. Very GUESS...). Definitely more cover-worthy than the final select.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
Ugh, why do you hate him so much? He's harmless! Maybe we need to talk about how much value you ascribe to Vogue and those who run it. Because let's be honest, Christiane Arp's Vogue was never known for their impactful covers. Would you rather a portrait-style image with grey backing by Demarchelier? Or a overly retouched Luigi & Iango retro shot?

Look, Giampaolo Sgura is definitely not the cream of the crop. To me, he's the lesser of two necessary evils - the other being Demarchelier. And his name should certainly not be used in the same breath as your homoerotic Biker Bear. I'll give Weber that, he's proved his worth and (AT TIMES - verrry rarely nowadays) can turn the simple into the memorable. Sgura's work however is blatantly straightforward, especially since he started shooting for US InStyle (don't roll your eyes!). Like I've said before, he knows his clients and he knows his audience. Yes, I see of course the cut and paste-looking sea as the backdrop, but he still gets a pass imo because at least he try to incorporate something different each time. This is not a continuation for his recent Vogue Brazil or Latin American covers, or even his last work for Vogue Germany. What you should instead be focusing on is the Collier Schorr/Cass Bird/Julia Noni/Coco Capitan/Roe Ethridge clique who seem to skate by rehashing the same crap over and over again just because they're part of a 'new wave'.
Oh please Benn… I don’t hate him. I hate terrorists— and I hate hate hate emojis (likely more than I hate terrorists LOL)…. Maybe if I used emojis in my posts more often, some may not take me so seriously… He just makes it so easy to consistently wake the mean girl up in me.

Bruce, Patrick and even Collier and the rest of the new wavers— a group that I’m not particularly fond of BTW, at least have a distinct eye; they have a point of view. And yes, Bruce may not seemed even be bothered these days— but none of the giants are: Mario Testino, Roversi— even Meisel is just doing his Avedon “tributes” wholesale, and people lap it all up (just look at the swooning for that W edit: I swear, just saying the name “Steven Meisel” will get some going…). But they've more than proven their worth with the influential body of work they've created. So, much respect, and all that.

Last edited by Phuel; 05-06-2017 at 11:05 AM.
06-06-2017
trendsetter

i do think,most people hate Sgura's work because he is not the experimental or classic photographer or on the other extreme the cool kid....his work is amicable, friendly with a subtle mediterranean elegance and he brings that to the table...he is warm, remember we say all that about commercial and catalog-esque bc now advertising steal a lot for fashion shoots...but ages ago it wasn't the case.

yes the hairstyle is not the best...and the level of retouch they put on the cover usually ends killing it....but he is what he is and not try to be someone else,less pretentious.

Also,let's try to make each month something SPECTACULAR and pushing the boundaries of HF...it's impossible to do that...saying this, he can push himself and manage to give more timeless images in his warm style....

i wonder what kind of editor CA is? i assume she likes to be VERY involved like Anna Wintour

don't look down

US Bazaar would probably produce an image like that to illustrate the fight for women's rights in the 70s.

07-06-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xone View Post
i wonder what kind of editor CA is? i assume she likes to be VERY involved like Anna Wintour
Well, none of that came through a few months ago when Madonna basically used made this magazine look like album cover art....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
US Bazaar would probably produce an image like that to illustrate the fight for women's rights in the 70s.

07-06-2017
fashion insider

More previews with Anna.

vogue.de

Btw, Anna has two editorials in this issue. Both by Giampaolo Sgura.

07-06-2017
windowshopping

Actually, I think Anna looks more like Nico in the last pictures than Bardot. I like it.

07-06-2017
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xone View Post
i do think,most people hate Sgura's work because he is not the experimental or classic photographer or on the other extreme the cool kid....his work is amicable, friendly with a subtle mediterranean elegance and he brings that to the table...he is warm, remember we say all that about commercial and catalog-esque bc now advertising steal a lot for fashion shoots...but ages ago it wasn't the case.

yes the hairstyle is not the best...and the level of retouch they put on the cover usually ends killing it....but he is what he is and not try to be someone else,less pretentious.

Also,let's try to make each month something SPECTACULAR and pushing the boundaries of HF...it's impossible to do that...saying this, he can push himself and manage to give more timeless images in his warm style....

Yeah. Agree!

07-06-2017
V.I.P.

Lights-Sea

Photography: Giampaolo Sgura
Styling: Christiane Arp
Hair: Franco Gobbi
Make-Up: Jessica Nedza

awake-smile.blogspot

07-06-2017
V.I.P.

Wouldn't It Be Nice?

Photography: Giampaolo Sgura
Styling: Christiane Arp
Hair: Franco Gobbi
Make-Up: Jessica Nedza

awake-smile.blogspot

07-06-2017
V.I.P.

The bangs could have been a little nicer (shorter?) but I'm still so pleased to see Anna. I still think she looks great and there are better pics of her in the ed than the cover.

V.I.P.

lol at this super touchy condemnation of criticism towards one of the most successful photographers right now. It has zero effect... he will continue to morph into whatever smells like money, water it down, sell it as his own and fashion will continue to devour it like a termite because they live off exactly the thing he does.. the no-brainer, meaningless, utterly commercial, 'looks-okay-to-me!' mediocre garbage with a 6-month expiration date stamped on it, which makes it completely irrelevant but of course infinitely cheaper in every way (intellectually, creatively, financially) and for dummies than the work of long-time contributors that do the exact same thing but well-researched (e.g. Bolofo).

Fashion's taken such an awful dive in the past years that for him to be one of the most used photographers and Kendall the model and an ironic sweatshirt by Demna the 'cool' item actually makes perfect sense and makes anything and anyone else look out of place and like they 'settled' with fashion because it paid the rent...

Finally the faux sensibility towards whatever hard work he's putting into these big budget productions by claiming it's oh so destructive? he won't get it... he didn't get the crystal clear arguments against his ways of having fun at the expense of other races.. he will definitely not get it when it comes to his work, especially when fashion tells him everyday that he's the brightest and not bright as a bucket.

08-06-2017
V.I.P.

She looks like a grumpy cat on the cover.

fashion icon

I love the second editorial. The shot with the gold rose is absolutely stunning, that should have been the cover. Her beach editorial looks like a fancy H&M campaign.

21-07-2017
fashion insider

Nimue Smit by Thomas Schenk

blog.ouimanagement.com

21-07-2017
backstage pass

Some of the shots of Nimue remind me of seeing Jessica Stam in Meisel editorials in US Vogue about 10 years ago

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2017, anna, ewers, germany, giampaolo, july, sgura, vogue