How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-08-2009
V.I.P.

Don't get me wrong it all looks beautiful, but I'm just bored.
The July issue was knock out, and so far this is just lackluster.

04-08-2009
trendsetter

Super great work!!!!!!!!

04-08-2009
backstage pass

Seem as if Steven is getting alot of his inspiration from Irvin Penn lately.

04-08-2009
old-fashioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateIsGr8 View Post
is her name Kristen or Kirsten? Because everytime I've saw it in a magazine it's Kristen, but on here a lot of people say Kirsten...
it's kristen.

i think i have some kind of 90s i-was-a-child-and-didn't-care-about-fashion-then nostalgia... i'm fascinated by the 90s' fashion photography, but i couldn't appreciate it during that time, so everytime something reminds me of it nowadays i can't help but love - when it's well done of course. the photography in this ed is so beautiful that i couldn't resist it, i immediately fell in love. i was SO excited when i saw it on the site, i thought i'd open and see kristen there again... hopefully the rest of the contents will be this good.

Last edited by *ana*; 04-08-2009 at 12:35 PM.
04-08-2009
fashion insider

I'll be getting 2 Vogue IT's in a row.
Only because this is so similar to Kristens and I loved that cover.

04-08-2009
trendsetter

SOURCE: Frockwritter, MON

04-08-2009
trendsetter

I can't help to admit that Linda's editorial is just GORGEOUSSSS! It reminds me a lot of Eugene Atget's turn-of-the-century photography, specifically of Parisian parks. The shots are all so pristine and beautiful. Linda looks divine, so regal and elegant. In my opinion, this is some of Steven's best work in a while, along with Kristen's tour de force in last month's issue.

That said, I agree that this is irrelevant. It seems that VI is hardly ever on the cusp of what's happening everywhere else, but they just do what they want to do. While that may be commendable, it also becomes a bit annoying. For a good year, every single cover and main editorial has felt random and totally from out-of-nowhere. It seems like they just handpick a theme from a hat, or whatever Meisel feels inspired by, and choose to do it. To me, VI is more of an art magazine than a fashion magazine. The focus is more on the skill and beauty of the photography than the clothes. There is not a balance between the two like there should be. That is my main issue with the magazine.

Also, it's very interesting that VI has gone with older established models for their cover stars two months in a row. This probably means that September's girls will all be either mid-teens or barely legal !

Last edited by vavavinny; 04-08-2009 at 02:37 PM.
04-08-2009
V.I.P.

I looooooooooooooove everything

V.I.P.

I'm so excited for that Tanya's editorial, from that preview I think it will be a complete master piece.

04-08-2009
windowshopping

Ahh, the cover is STUNNING, and so is Linda's ed! Wow.

04-08-2009
clever ain't wise

Cover and ed are wonderful. It's reminiscent of the best parts of the 50s and early 60s....When the style was so flawlessly perfect, yet not too neurotic and stiff. That's really difficult to achieve, and in some sense, the essence of style.

04-08-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
I love Linda and these pictures are pretty but I can't help but feel bored. Completely and utterly bored...

Don't get me wrong, the whole thing is beautiful but I just feel it has no connection to right now. I don't even feel as though its timeless - I get a definite late 40s / early 50s retro pastiche vibe and that era will always be lovely but there is a little voice in the back of my head that just says this is all so...irrelevant.

I agree 100%. Especially after the Kristen issue, which was so dynamic, this cover + feature fail miserably.

This is boring no matter how you look at it. To me the idea of having Linda portray 'classic' is just lazy on Meisels behalf.

04-08-2009
backstage pass

This has got to be one of Linda's bet edits in a while. I also saw a similarity between this and July but I love both edits nonetheless. They're actually as different as they are similar if you examine them, different points of reference brought together by the Miesel polish.

04-08-2009
V.I.P.

I like that he's going back to using classic models of the 90's, first Kirsten and now another Linda cover...the last one on plastic surgery was genius.

04-08-2009
V.I.P.

Love the cover and ed
Love Linda
Love Meisel
Love Diciassette

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, august, evangelista, italia, linda, meisel, steven, vogue