How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfinkova View Post
I definitely enjoy the concept (god knows we've all been dressed up with nowhere to go at some point or another) but I wished the execution was better. The real treat in this story is the work that went into the setting. . . but that's about it. There's a certain je ne sais quoi that makes the whole thing fall flat. It seems like the concept wasn't explored fully (there were so many things you could do with a theme like this) and in the end this just seems like a concept conceived of at the last minute and executed far below it's full capability.

Only a couple times a year do we, in my opinion, experience true creativity and beauty from Meisel's work for VI, e.g. last month.
I think the opposite to an extent (about the story reaching its full potential). The story may not be that deep, but I think there is some definitely some interesting commentary coming through about the women in these pictures, as characters. And that has mostly to do with the use of props on the set. Makes me think about what kind of woman is 'in fashion' right now...or at least what kind of woman they are trying to portray, if any.

In many of them, it's like they're forbidden to leave the kitchen..or their pets. (& I also think that making the kitchen the scene for every picture was an intention that worked out pretty nicely for the story)

Love the use of color and set design.

Last edited by Mchunu; 02-08-2012 at 09:44 AM.

02-08-2012
fashion icon

Wow, I definitely love the main ed more after seeing the video.

I love the atmosphere in the ed. As the title suggests, those girls all dress up at home and wait for someone to come. The background music is perfect as well. The slow motion of camera (sorry I don't really know the words for filming), the pets and the settings (Mary Howard is the best!) all complement each other so well. This ed leaves me a feeling of isolation in the society nowadays. I don't know why but I just feel it. I can even picture myself dress pretty and alone somewhere.

Anyway very good job Meisel! If only the cover can be better. I really wish he had chosen Aymeline as the cover girl.

02-08-2012
fashion insider

The models are as bored with the ed as I am.

trendsetter

I think this is the perfect casting for the ed, the models fit the styling so well.

02-08-2012
boop

The thing that strikes me about this concept is that everyone probably knows a girl like this. Incredible clothes, effortless cool, tiny apartment - there are certain pockets of Manhattan that are populated exclusively by these sorts of girls...

02-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchunu View Post
I think the opposite to an extent (about the story reaching its full potential). The story may not be that deep, but I think there is some definitely some interesting commentary coming through about the women in these pictures, as characters. And that has mostly to do with the use of props on the set. Makes me think about what kind of woman is 'in fashion' right now...or at least what kind of woman they are trying to portray, if any.

In many of them, it's like they're forbidden to leave the kitchen..or their pets. (& I also think that making the kitchen the scene for every picture was an intention that worked out pretty nicely for the story)

Love the use of color and set design.
Very interesting point of view. I like the "forbidden to leave the kitchen" analysis although I hardly doubt women who are tied down to their cutlery, such as homemakers, are "in fashion" right now. If the story was set in the 50s then your idea would make a lot more sense.

Like a previous poster said, Meisel has done similar work for VI before (the Hannelore cover and accompanying ed) to a finer degree. The photos were striking and the mood effective. Just my opinion of course.
Posted via Mobile Device

02-08-2012
backstage pass

This is flawless. Nobody does trailerpark like Meisel.

02-08-2012
she's got the look

Looooove the main story! I do actually find it more appealing than last month's.
The title reminds me of Lana Del Rey's "Carmen".

backstage pass

this kinda is perfection. My first glance of the main ed was that this is a bit of a bore, not much going on to interest me and too short in length. But looking a them in high quality has totally changed my mind. The casting is just glorious and i love love love all the scenes of disturbances of life in the details, such as the cupboards being open, the dogs and the casts in the picture ( but not being overexposed or staged in a cliche manner) and even photos and bits and bobs stuck on the fridge. But the best thing is that i fell its a nostalgic ed, but does not feel at all vintage. Well done meisel, i just wish it was way longer!

backstage pass

^ I agree.

The more I look at it the more I love it. The little details in the set like the sink full of dirty dishes, the empty liquor bottles, the grocery bags and scattered chinese food boxes...

It reminds me of young rich girls hitting rock bottom, waiting for their ride to rehab at their dealer's apartment.

I don't even mind Jamie in this, not sure what Hanne is doing there, I guess because Meisel shot her for Moncler. I just wish Laura K made an appearance, she would've been perfect for this!

02-08-2012
front row

i like the ed! but some of them look just bored, though that's part of the idea, i think it shouldn't be just that, but i liked meghan collison,anniek kortleve and maybe julia nobis. Anyway, it's good overall!

V.I.P.

I really love this. There's a feeling of realness about this story, about the pretty girl all dressed up who got stood up by her date. It's something so mundane and ordinary, but Meisel captured a beautiful melancholic side of it, without being overdramatic. Mary Howard deserves a big kudos for her work here, the set is fantastically well detailed and realistic, it looks like it could one of those model's apartments in NY. Really amazing.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfinkova View Post
Very interesting point of view. I like the "forbidden to leave the kitchen" analysis although I hardly doubt women who are tied down to their cutlery, such as homemakers, are "in fashion" right now. If the story was set in the 50s then your idea would make a lot more sense.

Like a previous poster said, Meisel has done similar work for VI before (the Hannelore cover and accompanying ed) to a finer degree. The photos were striking and the mood effective. Just my opinion of course.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think that though the art direction and setting is very similar, but the intended effect and mood of this work is evocative in a totally different way.

And it was not my intention to say or express that stay-at-home women are in mode (and if it was, that would sound pretty ridiculous, though I see how the sentence structure may have made it sound that way). But I am thinking more so about what makes the girls so interesting to look at and the narrative so captivating, despite the slightly somber sensibility. What I like most about when Meisel shoots is how aloof his subjects can seem, yet so charged and full of a certain 'it' factor at the same time. The girls really seem to echo exactly what the story could be suggested in each frame and I find that to be an interesting blend of fashion and art.

Last edited by Mchunu; 02-08-2012 at 04:11 PM.
02-08-2012
tfs star

Aymeline or Vanessa should have been given the cover. I honestly believe they just drew names out of a hat and Jamie came up first. I love the simplicity and the model choice is appropriate for that ed.

02-08-2012
fashion elite

Wow, I love the story and it adds great depth to the cover. After seeing the ed I'm more than convinced that Meghan should have gotten this cover. Everything about her shot was pure perfection. Meisel knows how to make her, and everyone else, shine!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, august, bochert, italia, jamie, meisel, steven, vogue