Vogue Italia December 2017 : The Celebration Issue by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot
 
How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
06-12-2017
  91
front row
 
pollyanna90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Gender: femme
Posts: 406
I love the group cover the most. The others aren't necessary. Nevertheless It's great seeing girls from the late 2000s/early 2010s being in the spotlight. They're also the stars of the editorial, especially Jamie and Joan. They are amazing in it. Also lovely seeing Issa Lish back in VI. She's definitely underrated


Last edited by pollyanna90; 06-12-2017 at 01:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2017
  92
Fat Karl
 
dior_couture1245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NY
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,739
Don't you just get the sense with most magazines these days like...what purpose does any of this serve? What do any of these editorials say about anything? Especially collectively? Ugh.

__________________
"DIOR, NOT WAR!"
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2017
  93
tfs star
 
ivano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,950
The main ed looks like a fashion story of VP under Carine. It's amazing, but some pics are quite impressive. Mariacarla eating that red cake it's so shocking! This is the most polemic ed under the new EIC, followed by some pics of the age issue. Love you VI

  Reply With Quote
07-12-2017
  94
fashion insider
 
jeremydante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,414
OHMYGOD! Why weren't any of the Lily Aldridge shots made into covers? Waaaaay better than the group cover. Natalia is the obvious standout. This didn't need to be a cover series.

  Reply With Quote
07-12-2017
  95
fashion elite
 
fluxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Milano
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydante View Post
OHMYGOD! Why weren't any of the Lily Aldridge shots made into covers? Waaaaay better than the group cover. Natalia is the obvious standout. This didn't need to be a cover series.
agree..she's not a great or my favorite model but she deff steals the show from the editorial. She looks stunning!

  Reply With Quote
07-12-2017
  96
MON
V.I.P.
 
MON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Le Monde
Gender: homme
Posts: 9,774
This is just a rehash of everything I’ve seen from them. The problem with Vogue Italia is that I feel like they’re torn with wanting to commercialize the magazine, but at the same time wanting to keep the identity Franca’s Vogue. And there goes identity issue. It seems like the commercial thing is doing well in Italy, while they want to keep the edgy Franca VI to cater to the International market. Let’s be honest VI made a mark worldwide with their controversial and out of this world covers. Like why buy Vogue Italia when it just looks like your local Vogue.

My wish for them is to find an identity and direction. Yes, I admit that some issues look good INDIVIDUALLY. My biggest issue is that when I put them side by side, it looks so disconnected. I see gimmick more than an actual identity.

  Reply With Quote
07-12-2017
  97
fashion insider
 
[Piece Of Me]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,345
The cover and main editorial are trashy and campy and I am totally on board. I couldn't care less about all the critism M&M are receiving, I love their work and still think they deliver. Great to see Lea T. back in an editorial as well.

  Reply With Quote
07-12-2017
  98
V.I.P.
 
Benn98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bbbrrruummiiee
Gender: homme
Posts: 14,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
This is just a rehash of everything I’ve seen from them. The problem with Vogue Italia is that I feel like they’re torn with wanting to commercialize the magazine, but at the same time wanting to keep the identity Franca’s Vogue. And there goes identity issue. It seems like the commercial thing is doing well in Italy, while they want to keep the edgy Franca VI to cater to the International market. Let’s be honest VI made a mark worldwide with their controversial and out of this world covers. Like why buy Vogue Italia when it just looks like your local Vogue.

My wish for them is to find an identity and direction. Yes, I admit that some issues look good INDIVIDUALLY. My biggest issue is that when I put them side by side, it looks so disconnected. I see gimmick more than an actual identity.
Couldn't agree with you more, Mon! The charm behind Franca's issues was that while each and every edition had profoundly day & night edits, there was still a coherent flow. You'd get your Patti Smith x Klein, an oversaturated Hiett edit, a bit of Aldrige's living dolls rounded out by the highlight - Meisel. There was a flow. As you correctly point out here, Farneti's disconnect is evident. He wants to appease the masses with fandom fodder such as M&M, Natasha, Irina, Natalia yet still pass the magazine off as a narrative-driven indie. Look at the cover edit and tell me what comes through most - the cast or the story? Now look at July, which had an equally polarising model, and see how the theme took precedence over the cast. Obviously this highlights M&M's inferiority as storytellers more than anything, but isn't it the job of an EIC to be able to spot that? He does come from GQ after all, so I suppose we should go easy on him.

Status: Online
 
Reply With Quote
07-12-2017
  99
fashion insider
 
Vitamine W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivano View Post
The main ed looks like a fashion story of VP under Carine. It's amazing, but some pics are quite impressive. Mariacarla eating that red cake it's so shocking! This is the most polemic ed under the new EIC, followed by some pics of the age issue. Love you VI

Lol wut?

__________________
if you can't join them, beat them
  Reply With Quote
07-12-2017
  100
V.I.P.
 
vogue28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Gender: homme
Posts: 21,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydante View Post
OHMYGOD! Why weren't any of the Lily Aldridge shots made into covers? Waaaaay better than the group cover. Natalia is the obvious standout. This didn't need to be a cover series.
Must admit that the solo shot of Lily Aldridge from Mert & Marcus' cover story, sitting on top of the table wearing Halpern completely does it for me too, and I'm all for Natasha Poly being involved too.

I'm also here for Ashley Graham by Nathaniel Goldberg. She looks sensational, the photos are just a breath of fresh air and the overall shoot is just utterly stunning!

__________________
.
  Reply With Quote
08-12-2017
  101
tfs star
 
ivano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamine W View Post
Lol wut?
I like their edgy style, but by some moments it's too much. I love VI, but sometimes they make scary stuff.


Last edited by ivano; 08-12-2017 at 12:24 AM.
  Reply With Quote
08-12-2017
  102
V.I.P.
 
burbuja8910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mexico City
Gender: femme
Posts: 45,691
I'm sorry for say than the cover story looks like a Terry Richardson's work, i guess than M&M losing their inspiration on the photoshots & it's getting to repeat the same photographers on the main editorials in every issue on VI.

  Reply With Quote
09-12-2017
  103
fashion icon
 
Les_Sucettes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbuja8910 View Post
I'm sorry for say than the cover story looks like a Terry Richardson's work, i guess than M&M losing their inspiration on the photoshots & it's getting to repeat the same photographers on the main editorials in every issue on VI.
True. It reminds me of the far superior ed by Terry Richardson’s with Crystal Renn. M&M went full on cliche.

  Reply With Quote
29-12-2017
  104
don't look down
 
tigerrouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Béal Feirste
Gender: femme
Posts: 14,525
I like the way the import copies have a big yellow sticker saying "First time ever! Customise this cover to be your Xmas card!"

Really? How? Why? When?

It's the other side of Christmas, although I don't think there's any time of year when this sort of stuff makes sense.

__________________
You're perfect, yes, it's true. But without me, you're only you.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2017, alas, celebration, december, issue, italia, marcus, mert, natalia, piggott, vodianova, vogue
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2018 All rights reserved.