Vogue Italia December 2017 : The Celebration Issue by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

1 Week Ago
front row

I love the group cover the most. The others aren't necessary. Nevertheless It's great seeing girls from the late 2000s/early 2010s being in the spotlight. They're also the stars of the editorial, especially Jamie and Joan. They are amazing in it. Also lovely seeing Issa Lish back in VI. She's definitely underrated

Last edited by pollyanna90; 1 Week Ago at 02:10 PM.
1 Week Ago
Fat Karl

Don't you just get the sense with most magazines these days like...what purpose does any of this serve? What do any of these editorials say about anything? Especially collectively? Ugh.

tfs star

The main ed looks like a fashion story of VP under Carine. It's amazing, but some pics are quite impressive. Mariacarla eating that red cake it's so shocking! This is the most polemic ed under the new EIC, followed by some pics of the age issue. Love you VI

1 Week Ago
fashion insider

OHMYGOD! Why weren't any of the Lily Aldridge shots made into covers? Waaaaay better than the group cover. Natalia is the obvious standout. This didn't need to be a cover series.

1 Week Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydante View Post
OHMYGOD! Why weren't any of the Lily Aldridge shots made into covers? Waaaaay better than the group cover. Natalia is the obvious standout. This didn't need to be a cover series.
agree..she's not a great or my favorite model but she deff steals the show from the editorial. She looks stunning!

1 Week Ago
MON
V.I.P.

This is just a rehash of everything I’ve seen from them. The problem with Vogue Italia is that I feel like they’re torn with wanting to commercialize the magazine, but at the same time wanting to keep the identity Franca’s Vogue. And there goes identity issue. It seems like the commercial thing is doing well in Italy, while they want to keep the edgy Franca VI to cater to the International market. Let’s be honest VI made a mark worldwide with their controversial and out of this world covers. Like why buy Vogue Italia when it just looks like your local Vogue.

My wish for them is to find an identity and direction. Yes, I admit that some issues look good INDIVIDUALLY. My biggest issue is that when I put them side by side, it looks so disconnected. I see gimmick more than an actual identity.

1 Week Ago
fashion insider

The cover and main editorial are trashy and campy and I am totally on board. I couldn't care less about all the critism M&M are receiving, I love their work and still think they deliver. Great to see Lea T. back in an editorial as well.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MON View Post
This is just a rehash of everything I’ve seen from them. The problem with Vogue Italia is that I feel like they’re torn with wanting to commercialize the magazine, but at the same time wanting to keep the identity Franca’s Vogue. And there goes identity issue. It seems like the commercial thing is doing well in Italy, while they want to keep the edgy Franca VI to cater to the International market. Let’s be honest VI made a mark worldwide with their controversial and out of this world covers. Like why buy Vogue Italia when it just looks like your local Vogue.

My wish for them is to find an identity and direction. Yes, I admit that some issues look good INDIVIDUALLY. My biggest issue is that when I put them side by side, it looks so disconnected. I see gimmick more than an actual identity.
Couldn't agree with you more, Mon! The charm behind Franca's issues was that while each and every edition had profoundly day & night edits, there was still a coherent flow. You'd get your Patti Smith x Klein, an oversaturated Hiett edit, a bit of Aldrige's living dolls rounded out by the highlight - Meisel. There was a flow. As you correctly point out here, Farneti's disconnect is evident. He wants to appease the masses with fandom fodder such as M&M, Natasha, Irina, Natalia yet still pass the magazine off as a narrative-driven indie. Look at the cover edit and tell me what comes through most - the cast or the story? Now look at July, which had an equally polarising model, and see how the theme took precedence over the cast. Obviously this highlights M&M's inferiority as storytellers more than anything, but isn't it the job of an EIC to be able to spot that? He does come from GQ after all, so I suppose we should go easy on him.

1 Week Ago
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivano View Post
The main ed looks like a fashion story of VP under Carine. It's amazing, but some pics are quite impressive. Mariacarla eating that red cake it's so shocking! This is the most polemic ed under the new EIC, followed by some pics of the age issue. Love you VI

Lol wut?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydante View Post
Must admit that the solo shot of Lily Aldridge from Mert & Marcus' cover story, sitting on top of the table wearing Halpern completely does it for me too, and I'm all for Natasha Poly being involved too.

I'm also here for Ashley Graham by Nathaniel Goldberg. She looks sensational, the photos are just a breath of fresh air and the overall shoot is just utterly stunning!

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamine W View Post
Lol wut?
I like their edgy style, but by some moments it's too much. I love VI, but sometimes they make scary stuff.

Last edited by ivano; 1 Week Ago at 01:24 AM.
1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

I'm sorry for say than the cover story looks like a Terry Richardson's work, i guess than M&M losing their inspiration on the photoshots & it's getting to repeat the same photographers on the main editorials in every issue on VI.

6 Days Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbuja8910 View Post
I'm sorry for say than the cover story looks like a Terry Richardson's work, i guess than M&M losing their inspiration on the photoshots & it's getting to repeat the same photographers on the main editorials in every issue on VI.
True. It reminds me of the far superior ed by Terry Richardson’s with Crystal Renn. M&M went full on cliche.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2017, alas, celebration, december, issue, italia, marcus, mert, natalia, piggott, vodianova, vogue