How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-01-2013
V.I.P.

she looks gorgeous in the editorial and a major congratulations for getting an OG cover!

can't wait to see the rest of the eds

07-01-2013
Mag Master

Editorial:
Li Yuchun (Chris Lee)
Photographer: Wing Shya
Celeb: Li Yuchun
Styling: Grace Lam
Hair: Tristan Waikong
Make-Up: Candy Law

Quote:
Li Yuchun (Chinese: 李宇春; pinyin: Lǐ Yǔchūn) also known as Chris Lee is a Chinese pop singer and actress who achieved instant fame when she won the nationwide singing contest Super Girl in 2005.
via wikipedia

vogue.it

07-01-2013
tfs star

So it is kind of an asian-ish issue...

07-01-2013
front row

i really, really hope they aren't doing an "asian" issue. that's the crappiest reason ever for that awesome cover and ed. the only way we can get asian or black models on covers seems to be if it's a gimmick.

07-01-2013
V.I.P.

According to WWD it's the "Global" issue.

fashion elite

seriously? the "global" issue? why can't it just be an issue that they put an Asian girl on the cover of because she's beautiful and deserves a cover without an gimmicks attached to it?

07-01-2013
V.I.P.

^ I can't agree more, a long way to go.

07-01-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelaid View Post
seriously? the "global" issue? why can't it just be an issue that they put an Asian girl on the cover of because she's beautiful and deserves a cover without an gimmicks attached to it?
In an ideal world-- even in the rarified world of high fashion, that would be great. Yeah, promote a beautiful model, whether they're black, asian, east asian, latin, white... But it's never that pure; there are always political and mostly business ulterior motive as to why someone is chosen for the cover.

It would be great if asian designers would promote asian models by having them in their shows and campaigns. The demigods of high fashion like Yohji and Rei could do wonders for asian models if they gave them the opportunity. But, it's always the caucasian designers that will go with a model of color before the asian designers and asian magazines like Vogue Japan will follow. Sad really.

Anyway, politics aside, I really like this shoot. It's much less Steven Meisel, and much more Irving Penn to me. Maybe it's the retro-vibe, maybe's it's Lori Goldstein's restrained styling, along with the calmness, simplicity and clean, strong lines and Fei Fei's classic beauty completely wins me over. But, I can understand and agree with those that are critical of the heavy makeup in some of the shots that do make this beautiful woman somewhat resemble an asian drag act.

07-01-2013
tfs star

I think as long as the stories and eds are truly global - with fashion and fashion stories from all around the world - not just 100% Oriental Asia, then I'm ok with it. Its quite flattering to be considered as The Face of Global beauty. So hopefully as more eds surfaced, it is heading there. If its only Asia then, I'm a bit disappointed.
Miss Sozzani needs to put Fei Fei on another cover, on her own merit. Look at all the buzz she had created with this one. Its simply silly not to recognize the business side of this and how much positive PR Vogue Italia got from the amazing Ed and the eccentric yet beautiful cover.
What Meisel and Fei Fei accomplished in that spread, is irreplacable by any other asian cast. Fei Fei is truly a unique face that deserves her own recognition and not to be lumped under an "asian" umbrella alone.

07-01-2013
front row

The Li Yuchun ed looks like a serious disaster, as cheesy and dated as you can get. They look like some random screen captures of a low-budget, poorly-made Chinese film about the pseudo indie rock scene in Beijing (which is a very cheesy and irrelevant concept itself).

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 08-01-2013 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Please be respectful.
08-01-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by haoshcn View Post
The Li Yuchun ed looks like a serious disaster, as cheesy and dated as you can get. They look like some random screen captures of a low-budget, poorly-made Chinese film about the pseudo indie rock scene in Beijing (which is a very cheesy and irrelevant concept itself).***EDIT***
Totally agree,shame of VI. ***EDIT***

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 08-01-2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Please be respectful.
08-01-2013
V.I.P.

''Marihenny in Prada for Italian Vogue Jan issue,shot by Ellen Von Unwerth''

facebook / Véronique Kern

08-01-2013
V.I.P.

Lovely issue, but I would have more respect for VI if they would just drop the "theme" issues. Its too gimmicky and it just feels like its cheapening the brand.

V.I.P.

REVIEW

Beauty
Photography: Tom Munro
Editor: Giovanna Battaglia
Models: Melodie Monrose, Shanina Shaik, Jacquelyn Jablonski, Shu Pei, Jessica Hart, Liza Golden, Maryna Linchuk, Lais Ribeiro, and Cora Emmanuel

Multiethnic Gallery
Photography: Paolo Roversi
Editor: Cathy Edwards
Models: Mimi Xu, Denni Elias, Camila Costa, Diariata Niang, Sofia Boutella, Yana Sheptovetskaya, Maria Borges, Miyuki and Ikue Uramune, Alyssah Ali, Karina T, Grace Mahary, Mai Lan, and Hanaa Ben Abdesslem

West Meets East
Photography: Ellen von Unwerth
Editor: Alice Gentilucci

Cross-Border Fans
Photography: Francesco Carrozzini
Editor: Patti Wilson
Models: Jasmine Tookes, Zenia Sevastyanova, Stina Rapp Wastenson, Giedre Kiaulenaite, Ji Hye Park, and Sung Hee

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentalicious View Post
REVIEW

Beauty
Photography: Tom Munro
Editor: Giovanna Battaglia
Models: Melodie Monrose, Shanina Shaik, Jacquelyn Jablonski, Shu Pei, Jessica Hart, Liza Golden, Maryna Linchuk, Lais Ribeiro, and Cora Emmanuel

Multiethnic Gallery
Photography: Paolo Roversi
Editor: Cathy Edwards
Models: Mimi Xu, Denni Elias, Camila Costa, Diariata Niang, Sofia Boutella, Yana Sheptovetskaya, Maria Borges, Miyuki and Ikue Uramune, Alyssah Ali, Karina T, Grace Mahary, Mai Lan, and Hanaa Ben Abdesslem

West Meets East
Photography: Ellen von Unwerth
Editor: Alice Gentilucci

Cross-Border Fans
Photography: Francesco Carrozzini
Editor: Patti Wilson
Models: Jasmine Tookes, Zenia Sevastyanova, Stina Rapp Wastenson, Giedre Kiaulenaite, Ji Hye Park, and Sung Hee
Thanks for review ,tentalicious.
Can you identify models of West Meet East?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, fei, italia, january, meisel, steven, sun, vogue