How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-12-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
Fei Fei you look amazing! I'm so happy for her! This is truly historic to say the least! What a good way to start off the new year.

Yasmeen Ghauri is not Asian at all.And if anyone has that editorial from 1991 could you please post it?
Yasmeen is of Pakistani decent from her father's side

31-12-2012
fashion insider

best VI cover since July!!! just so elegant and refined but strong at the same time..

i don't mind the make-up, i think that if it wasn't for it the cover might've fell flat and also i don't think something minimal would've been right for this concept
and they're indeed referencing China Machado..
Quote:
Fusion elegance. The language of style is universal: border-free. Thus, by evoking the exotic and sophisticated allure of China Machado, the fusion icon of the Fifties, a story of elegance and refinement is recounted. The undisputed protagonist is the maquillage. With a must-have such as the eyeliner Stylo Yeux Waterpoof, black, that designs and exalts the eyes. On the cheeks, the cloud of color offered by Joues Contraste, frivole, that delicately sculptures the face, while the lips acquire a mat brightness with the smooth and intense nuance of Rouge Allure Velvet, l’éclatante. All Chanel.
vogue.it

Last edited by Lee MG Tisci; 31-12-2012 at 02:34 PM.
31-12-2012
front row

ugh. i love fei fei, so much. i always thought she had this girlish charm to her look, not to mention her amazing personality. i'm so happy that she managed to land the VI cover. (by the looks of it, is she the first asian only girl to appear on it?) i wish they'd done a better job on the cover, and i hate that awful chanel ensemble. but i love that fei fei looks so beautiful.

31-12-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
This is not very bad... I hate the idea of "homages" and silly things like that, but it's quite decent.

Anyway, I can't really get why this cover is historical. She's a girl with two eyes, one mouth and one nose, just like the rest of the girls who have been on the cover before.
Asian models have always been left out as a pretty big minority in modelling. There have been some huge asian girls, but they don't get as much attention as all of the white european girls. So this is considered historical because she's the first asian model to ever appear solo in VI's entire history.

31-12-2012
backstage pass

Wow, this is bad. Very bad. She looks like an outtake from Carolyn's "Face The Future" editorial in their September issue.

31-12-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepetitcouturier View Post
Asian models have always been left out as a pretty big minority in modelling. There have been some huge asian girls, but they don't get as much attention as all of the white european girls. So this is considered historical because she's the first asian model to ever appear solo in VI's entire history.
What I think Creative means is why should we treat Fei Fei Sun differently from any other person who has graced VI? We are all human beings, we display different kinds of beauty, i'm baffled by the amount of excitement displayed by the forum members here, like do we really need to react this way when we see a person of a different ethnicity? I don't think I can appreciate this cover even if it's the first time a Chinese model landed it, i'm glad there are people who can agree that the make-up is atrocious.

don't look down

I think it's superb if Vogue Italia can introduce people to new references through a cover like this, China Machado by Avedon, and the role she played in modelling history.

backstage pass

Finally a good cover! Dear mother of God, it took time...

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

love it!!!!FANTASTIC COVER..GREAT WAY TO STart the new year

31-12-2012
fashion elite

So happy, so excited.
So nice to see so much positivity towards this cover, this historical moment, and Fei Fei Sun here

Thank you so much for posting the covers. Happy New Year everyone

31-12-2012
V.I.P.

I'm wondering if this is the new Italian Vogue way: To give everyone something to be way too excited about for the new year and then kicks us in the nuts with something so bad it's unfathomable for a few months following.

I'm more anxious to see what Vogue IT will show us in 2013. That's just what this cover leads me to wonder. Will it really be a step forward in the stories and how they're told, or a continued nostalgic look into the past...

The best part of the cover to me is the eyes. You can really feel her spirit in how she is looking at you, unlike all the insipid expressions we're used to getting on such portrait-type covers. Based on aesthetics alone, It's not all that bad but I cannot stand these sort of pale colors and the sort of vintageness that comes with it. Not the most interesting way to use a fold-out if it just says 'life' on the inner part.

I hate to say it but it actually makes you feel like Meisel + Franca still have something new to say. And as far as fashion goes these days, I guess this is the most we can hope for!

Last edited by Mchunu; 31-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.
31-12-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
What I think Creative means is why should we treat Fei Fei Sun differently from any other person who has graced VI? We are all human beings, we display different kinds of beauty, i'm baffled by the amount of excitement displayed by the forum members here, like do we really need to react this way when we see a person of a different ethnicity? I don't think I can appreciate this cover even if it's the first time a Chinese model landed it, i'm glad there are people who can agree that the make-up is atrocious.
If it happened more often there wouldn't be such fanfare... What is there to not understand?

V.I.P.

i don't like the image, it makes her look weird and she's so pretty!

rising star

Very happy to see this, fei fei is so beautiful in her own ways,
And I hope this can inspire those Asian girls who are always trying to keep up to be western and start appreciate being what they are.

31-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
We are all human beings, we display different kinds of beauty
Exactly, but there's no 'we' in publications, where such display is centered on one kind of beauty. It's an on your face aesthetic, nothing to get too confused on. Reason why, when the parameter shows some flexibility, people are going to celebrate exactly what you just stated (We are all human beings, we display different kinds of beauty). Since you share sentiments, I don't see where the perplexity really is, but, bad makeup and all, why not join the symbolism of a new year, fashion's (probably fake or at least temporary) willingness to move forward?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, fei, italia, january, meisel, steven, sun, vogue