How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-01-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
I always have to wonder if the people who moan about models looking like "drag queens" (and act like it'st just THE worst insult ever) have even SEEN a drag queen with makeup on... Like, without fail, every time a model has dark eye shadow on someone calls her a drag queen!

realitytvgifs.tumblr.com
I've watched every season of Rupaul's Drag Race to know that it takes more than eye-shadow to make someone looks like a drag queen, Because in order to have a man look like a believable woman they do need heavy make-up, I just don't understand why they had to go and ruin Fei Fei Sun's face using the same extent of make-up. idgad if this is intended to reference some icon from the 60's the execution is poor imo. Oh, and to TianSoFine, because I highlight her as a chinese drag queen does not mean I don't approve of racial diversity, but I don't think the first Chinese woman going on the cover of VI has to suffer looking like a man in womans make-up and clothes, but go figure everyone's favorite girl right now is Fei Fei.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 02-01-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Image quoting.

02-01-2013
V.I.P.

She looks NOTHING like a "man in woman's clothing" to me, but just opposite, feminine, graceful, chic!

The video is wonderful., cant wait to see the editorial.

02-01-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepetitcouturier View Post
Asian models have always been left out as a pretty big minority in modelling. There have been some huge asian girls, but they don't get as much attention as all of the white european girls. So this is considered historical because she's the first asian model to ever appear solo in VI's entire history.

I actually knew you considered this cover historic for that... But what I mean is that I cannot understand such a stir when someone with no Caucasian features gets attention. When I saw the cover for the first time the last thing I thought was that she was Asian.

I guess getting happy for her is just having prejudices. I've noticed that a lot in here... First it was with the "Black issue", later with Halle getting the September issue... I remember I got surprised because someone said: "How brave of Anna is putting a black woman in the cover of the September issue". Who cares if her skin is slightly darker? I just can't get it. (Although Anna’s approach is way more genuine than Franca’s, of that I’m sure).

Quality is what really matters. It’s kind of normal that many footballers of the Premier League are English, that a good portion of the players in the Fußball-Bundesliga are German and that a lot of the footballers in the Spanish Liga are Spanish, because it’s where those competitions are held. But that’s it. I can't imagine a supporter of a football team being happy because a recent transfer is Asian.

Fashion (kind of) is/was something occidental, so I get it's “normal” or “understandable” the majority of people getting covers is white; that’s where the clothes were supposed to go (although I hate that need of recognizing themselves in publicity or anywhere else many people have; that’s their biggest problem… and kind of the reason Fei is in the cover, sadly).

I guess most magazines in China use Chinese girls, and I wouldn’t think they don’t embrace different “types of beauty” (hate that set-phrase, there’s only on kind of beauty). But there’s always that condescending feeling when a model with no Caucasian features gets something in Europe. I find it quite low, weird and fake.

And I’m sure the main purpose behind this choice is money. To a greater extent than July’s cover, for example; and that’s because they are getting advantage of the thoughts many people have shown in this thread… I’m sure they don’t even want to broaden people minds, nor breaking those (nonexistent for me) “barriers”, but getting advantage of having her fronting the cover…

Besides, I find it quite low from Sozzani to make such a thing (she has made that a lot in tha past…). She surely thought she would get a lot of press and revenues from this. It just doesn't feel like something organic and genuine. There is just a very vulgar and opportunist (in a bad way) idea behind the cover.

If the latest thing you would notice when you see the cover were that she’s Asian maybe she wouldn’t be on the cover. By “notice” I mean a “mental process”, giving that fact the same relevance to the colour of her hair, for example.

Last edited by Creative; 02-01-2013 at 10:24 AM.
02-01-2013
clever ain't wise

I think the cover is beautiful....she reminds me as much of Wilhelmina as of China Machado, to be honest.

02-01-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
Fusion elegance. The language of style is universal: border-free. Thus, by evoking the exotic and sophisticated allure of China Machado, the fusion icon of the Fifties, a story of elegance and refinement is recounted. ---Cover Story
From Vogue.it cover story , it is definitely a inspiration from China Machado.

02-01-2013
fashion icon

First asian model in Vogue Italia cover. Love the preview, i can't wait for full editorial.

02-01-2013
fashion insider

i really like the cover

02-01-2013
front row

Fei Fei is one of Meisel's favorites. What a face!

I loved her in the January 2011 main editorial in Italian Vogue and happy to see her snag the cover now.

02-01-2013
front row

Also, I can't help but say this but I knew this was coming. Ever since she was in that January 2011 feature editorial, I knew an Italian Vogue cover was in her future. I hope 2013 is her year. She's been simmering quietly for a while.

02-01-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
Fashion (kind of) is/was something occidental, so I get it's “normal” or “understandable” the majority of people getting covers is white; that’s where the clothes were supposed to go (although I hate that need of recognizing themselves in publicity or anywhere else many people have; that’s their biggest problem… and kind of the reason Fei is in the cover, sadly).
.. then came the discovery of America, the invasions in Africa, Asia, migration, concepts like diversity that are palpable, everyday life/pop culture unless you live in some European village I suppose, I'm not sure it's that much the narcissistic need to see yourself represented but to see your surroundings and the time you're living in represented, see magazines with faces proper of modern day London or New York or any capital really, with sophistication of course, but not limited through racial barriers. It's as nonsense as having only heiresses and socialites in magazine covers.. you could argue 'well they're the ones that can buy it and wear it, no need to represent a working woman that can't even wear glittered platforms to work because the dress code at her office doesn't allow it'.. it is true, but the fantasy of what fashion sells doesn't have to become such a dogmatic.. utopia, or be in such conflict with the contemporary world.

This is a cultural barrier anyway.. I guess it does take the entire combo of upbringing/constant interaction or at least exposure or education of racial conflicts to see how the criticism or observations are based on experiences (individual or collective- shared history), therefore not prejudices, which can't be said for the analogy of hair and race..

Finally, if VI forcibly opens up by money and appealing to a new market, well.. bless that new market, can't be blamed for giving an "occidental" magazine a taste of that (vulgar?) medicine Europe has given the rest of the world for so long: ask the market to open, if yay, try looting, if nay, open by force, and try looting too.

Last edited by MulletProof; 02-01-2013 at 04:50 PM.
02-01-2013
fashion icon

Fei Fei looks so lovely on the cover. I like that it's a pretty simple cover. I find that it highlights her beauty more. And I am so happy that Vogue Italia got with the times, this cover was a long time coming. Now here's to hoping that placing an Asian model on the cover isn't a one time thing because there are a lot of fantastic models who deserve a shot at being a cover star too.

army of lovers

What is this all this talk about drag queens? If only drag queens looked this flawless. This is retro glamour of the highest order. A must have issue.

03-01-2013
backstage pass

Fei Fei is truly Gorgeous and the cover is divine!

03-01-2013
Mag Master

Cover Story:
FEI FEI
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Model: Fei Fei Sun
Styling: Lori Goldstein
Hair: Guido
Make-Up: Pat McGarth
Nails: Jin Soon Choi

vogue.it

Last edited by Mat Cyruss; 03-01-2013 at 04:02 AM.
03-01-2013
V.I.P.

Her face is stunning and I love the styling, but a little bit more variety and movement in the poses would've been nice.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, fei, italia, january, meisel, steven, sun, vogue