Vogue Italia January 2018 : Fran Summers by Craig McDean - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-01-2018
trendsetter

So if I like it does that mean my IQ and taste are rather low as well?

01-01-2018
tfs star

Previews:

The video is pretty cool! It looks like the issue will feature all the hot new faces - Fran, Gisele Fox, Lulu, Shanelle.. And more I can't recognise

01-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plax View Post
I don't get why you guys are so annoyed by the internet reference. It is just a little thing in this cover, and the main editorial isn't to do with the internet reference.
Because it's tacky, obtrusive, and like Mon said bears zero relevance to the image.

I like the covershot a lot, particularly fond of the way McDean photographed this look. The idea of a McDean themed special edition is way overdue and I'm looking forward to the content. But once again they had to ruin it with awful art direction. There's this huge disconnect between the art direction and the style of the image time and time with this magazine. But I suppose this overzealous design is just a way to distract from Farneti blatantly copying Franca and Meisel's VI. You'll note he's staying away from social or political commentary because that will be even harder to replicate with the likes of M&M who doesn't have the wit nor expertise to cover that.

01-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlabe32 View Post
I thought it was Abbey Lee at first.
Me too, and it got so excited... until I saw that she isn´t, and saw the art direction
I know to expect nothing of my liking when I click on a new VI thread nowadays... hopefully the main ed and content are better.

01-01-2018
MON
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
You'll note he's staying away from social or political commentary because that will be even harder to replicate with the likes of M&M who doesn't have the wit nor expertise to cover that.
With today’s political climate, imagine how Franca & Meisel would’ve had a field day with that alone. I can imagine Meisel replicating a women’s march editorial. But that’s under the classic VI and not under this tragic one.

The main editorial is okay. Its classic VI

Wouldn’t be surprised if this were sponsored by Apple. That user interface is so apparent.

01-01-2018
front row

Every single time a new Vogue Italia comes out it's, "Meisel did it first", Meisel did it better", Meisel created fashion photography", Meisel is my personal Jesus"....blah bla.

Give it a rest. The Meisel era of Vogue Italia is OVER. Accept it and move on.
As great as he is, he's also produced more than his fair share of lackluster covers the last few years. Two of them in 2017. No one here will ever admit it, but the last great cover and issue of Vogue Italia was also the last one under Franca. You can thank Steven Klein and Madonna for that. Everything under this new guy has been a series of mini hits and near misses. Including this new one.

01-01-2018
front row

Nope, Meisel was and is The King in this particular kingdom.... Game Changer.

Agree completely with B98!

01-01-2018
fashion elite

I actually quite like it... The cover looks okay, the video looks really cool, but the contents look bland.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps View Post
Every single time a new Vogue Italia comes out it's, "Meisel did it first", Meisel did it better", Meisel created fashion photography", Meisel is my personal Jesus"....blah bla.

Give it a rest. The Meisel era of Vogue Italia is OVER. Accept it and move on.
As great as he is, he's also produced more than his fair share of lackluster covers the last few years. Two of them in 2017. No one here will ever admit it, but the last great cover and issue of Vogue Italia was also the last one under Franca. You can thank Steven Klein and Madonna for that. Everything under this new guy has been a series of mini hits and near misses. Including this new one.
It's only natural when you had such an imposing creative force in charge for such a long time. See Carine vs Alt, Galliano vs Raf vs the seamstress. What's more, it would appear Farneti elected to merely reference VI's greatest hits so of course his take will always be compared with the original. More than ever. If he instead focused on making his own mark none of this constant lamenting would pop up. Nobody is ignoring his faults, check any of his current ad threads. Indeed, check the threads for those dud VI covers last year and you'll still find constructive criticism.

01-01-2018
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewak View Post
Nope, Meisel was and is The King in this particular kingdom.... Game Changer.

Agree completely with B98!
Not for quite some time...and not ever again.

01-01-2018
V.I.P.

Isn't it time you all collectively get over Meisel?

Let's remember he wasn't producing great stuff there for a long time before departing...

Don't like this cover very much anyway...

01-01-2018
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
See Carine vs Alt, Galliano vs Raf vs the seamstress.
You made my day!
I like Alt, so put some respect on her name please
I think that Seamstress is even too good to describe the lady with the "Panda" make-up...

01-01-2018
V.I.P.

Good grief, what a bland and banal way to kickstart 2018. They most certainly do need to restart the issue because I'm not feeling this, whatsoever. Instead of giving us themed issues one after the other, the Italian Vogue team just need to deliver on the actual content instead. These themes just mask how naff the issues are, and I might just stop purchasing Vogue Italia on a monthly basis.

don't look down

I'll get over Meisel when fashion itself gets over referencing the past in everything it puts forward.

01-01-2018
windowshopping

a "restart" theme for January - groundbreaking

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2018, craig, fran, italia, january, mcdean, summers, vogue