Vogue Italia January 2018 : Fran Summers by Craig McDean - Page 6 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
05-01-2018
backstage pass

This issue is dry and boring. They seriously need to up their game. On a more positive note though Fran has a new fan in me; can't say I paid much attention to her before but I find her quite commanding in print and there's an adorable interview of her on VI's Instagram - just love her Yorkshire accent

05-01-2018
fashion insider

the editorials have no soul, looks so cold, so distant, without any passion. Just models posing, no inner fire, no playfulness or something interesting. Craig McDean took some good pictures back in the '90s but that doesn't mean that he's still in the game.
I don't know, Vogue Italia is trying too hard.
PS: WTF are those f*cking sticks?!

06-01-2018
backstage pass

I like maybe a couple shots of the edit with Sophie and Nina, but the rest of this issue is pretty meh.

I feel like Assa and Dorit have already done that edit for another magazine? It looks so familiar and I’m sure they’ve been cast together before....

07-01-2018
rising star

I really like it, and the design gives it a little bit more personality imo.

scenester

Eds are ok for an indie magazine tho.
But this is VOGUE ITALIA *sigh*

11-01-2018
tfs star

It's another Vogue Italia. In every interview he does, Farneti says he don't want to be Franca's twin. I think he has a lot of respect for her, and he is trying to find his own way. It must be so difficult take the torch after Franca. She became the Pope of fashion after all these years (British GQ put that title). It's so terrible to me (and the rest of you) to think about this. It makes me so sad thinking right now on her because she literally changed my life, she gave me something to aspire for (I want to be a fashion photographer!), and all those Meisel eds are teaching me a lot. Yeah, I wasn't expecting a near end for that. But this is a new era, it will take years (as Franca did) to shape their own Vogue. It's a baby steps thing.

Last edited by ivano; 11-01-2018 at 11:41 PM.
11-01-2018
fashion icon

Is it just me or does this all look very outdated? This magazine has become very derivative of what's been done over the past 5 years by non-mainstream titles. Indie magazines all have this look consisting of crisp photography, precise styling, and formulaic concepts. It's all the same now, ID, Vogue Italia, Dazed, Another, and many other titles have all blended together. Someone really needs to break this mold, it's boring and unoriginal at this point.

Last edited by GivenchyHomme; 11-01-2018 at 11:45 PM.
12-01-2018
fashion icon

Actually, It's not a bad issue. I agree these eds have no soul, looks so cold, so distant, however at least, New Vogue Italia has cohesive choices of photographers, stylists and models than any other Vogue. I think it would takes some time, because it is the way GB (Art Director) and Patti Wilson (Fashion Director) haven't taken.

Last edited by Plax; 12-01-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2018, craig, fran, italia, january, mcdean, summers, vogue