How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-03-2009
trendsetter

Guinevere's edit is nice, but lately I've been noticing that VI has been doing single designer editorials, single Italian designer editorials. I counted two in the February issue (Roberto Cavalli and Gucci with Mariacarla) and now this all Miuccia edit. It's a little lazy, non?

There was also an all-Prada editorial in the August (?) issue shot by Inez and Vinoodh with Eniko Mihalik.

Last edited by vavavinny; 06-03-2009 at 08:40 PM.

06-03-2009
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavavinny View Post
Guinevere's edit is nice, but lately I've been noticing that VI has been doing single designer editorials, single Italian designer editorials. I counted two in the February issue (Roberto Cavalli and Gucci with Mariacarla) and now this all Prada edit. It's a little lazy, non?
Non... because 99% of Prada is styled in magazines exactly as it appeared on the runway. If you look closely... you'll see Jacob K uses his imagination here... by draping, rolling & folding the pieces in an exquisite way... so IMO there's nothing lazy about it.

06-03-2009
old-fashioned

^agreed. i said guinevere and roversi were great but ended up not mentioning how good is the stylist.

Last edited by *ana*; 06-03-2009 at 08:46 PM.
07-03-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Your concept is interesting. I think it is meant to be ironic: the people in glass look like totally normal everyday people and the models are dressed completely over the top. Really, the models should be the ones in glass being studied, but they are not. I think it is sort of a commentary on modern day style and the fashion of the young. The models represent the constant changing rate of fashion (they are slaves to fashion), while the people in glass are the normal clothes that that seem outdated by today's radical fashions, and thus museum-like.

In the end, though, I really don't know what the message is. Alls I know is that the clothes are totally fabulous and I love the styling. It is some of the best I have seen in VI in a while!
I agree 100% and was thinking something along the lines of this concept but then I thought "Why the hip-hop styling?".

Surely if they wanted to show how fast and progressive fashion is, they would have used a different aesthetic? Perhaps the futurism of Balenciaga and Lagerfeld?

I love the styling, but I find it confusing in relation to the concept of the shoot.

07-03-2009
Mr. Magic

thank you Diciassette (17)!
i'm drooling over that Ato Matsumoto sneaker

07-03-2009
front row

this issue looks really good. can't wait to get me a copy!

07-03-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Guinevere's edit is nice, but lately I've been noticing that VI has been doing single designer editorials, single Italian designer editorials. I counted two in the February issue (Roberto Cavalli and Gucci with Mariacarla) and now this all Miuccia edit. It's a little lazy, non?

There was also an all-Prada editorial in the August (?) issue shot by Inez and Vinoodh with Eniko Mihalik.
It's not something recent. VI has been doin this for seasons, since at least 2003 (thats when I started buying VI). Every season Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Cavalli, D&G, Blumarine and Armani get an ed.

And most of the time the result is far from lazy imo.

07-03-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
I agree 100% and was thinking something along the lines of this concept but then I thought "Why the hip-hop styling?".

Surely if they wanted to show how fast and progressive fashion is, they would have used a different aesthetic? Perhaps the futurism of Balenciaga and Lagerfeld?

I love the styling, but I find it confusing in relation to the concept of the shoot.
I agree, if they indeed wanted to depict this concept, the clothes doesn't fit.
This editorial is a bit mysterious I'm not sure to know what it exactly wanted to express which is somehow a good thing but the photographies are a bit boring, Meisel could have done better...

Anyway, this is the first Vogue Italia I'm going to buy in a while !

she's got the look

I haven't commented about Meisel's ed yet, so... I did actually like the concept and styling of it, except the use of Everlast, Adidas etc. sport shoes... I don't know, maybe it's part of Sprouse aesthetic, I'm not completely into it. And since it's written on the cover Fearless Fashions, I had to expect it.
I'm still not sure about the whole concept, even though I liked it, I have a feeling that it could have been different.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
It's not something recent. VI has been doin this for seasons, since at least 2003 (thats when I started buying VI). Every season Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Cavalli, D&G, Blumarine and Armani get an ed.

And most of the time the result is far from lazy imo.
I think I used the wrong word. I meant that it would be better to relate a designer's pieces to the rest of the collections and find an overall concept. Focusing on one designer's collection is not a bad thing if it is totally groundbreaking, but when it is done almost every issue, it becomes a little monotonous. I guess it is an alternative way though. And thanks, mikel, I didn't realize that they have been doing this for a while lol. I just started looking through VI a couple of years ago .

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post

The hip-hop style is questionable. But I don't think they intended for it to be hip-hop, but rather a medly of different genres. It is overall gaudy. And honestly, I think it is meant to be an overexaggeration of what some of the young of today wear. The American Apparel crowd, if you will. Not that there is anything wrong with American Apparel !

Thanks for agreeing, btw . It is a very mysterious editorial indeed. I love it when editorials are cerebrally stimulating!

There is also something significant about the portraits of the glassed-in people on the walls. It's as if they are staring at the models, studying them. So the models are studying the people in the glass, while at the same time being studied by them.

Last edited by vavavinny; 07-03-2009 at 10:36 PM.
07-03-2009
Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

If it is not too much trouble, would someone mind scanning the couture supplement Many thanks in advance!

08-03-2009
V.I.P.

My fav pics of Nimue and Amber V eds are available in my blog; Scanned by me from italian vogue march issue.

Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiko View Post
My fav pics of Nimue and Amber V eds are available in my blog; Scanned by me from italian vogue march issue.
Thank you

08-03-2009
A Belated Celebration

I'm looking at fujiko's blog and all the pics in this issue look very interesting! I really love the Roversi ed featuring Nimue.
Thank you, fujiko.

Last edited by Kanna; 08-03-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, hannegaby, italia, kinga, march, meisel, odiele, rajzak, steven, vogue