How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2012
fashion icon

ewwwww . This is the grossest thing ever. I really wanted to like this.

07-03-2012
front row

I am not impressed with this at all. Slightly offended TBH. Just answer the question: who is he trying to depict?

fashion icon

You know what? I was going to buy this until I saw the full editorial. I have now lost a ton of respect for Franca & Meisel. Do they honestly expect that putting a black girl on the cover, then mocking black people, is going to make black people want to go out & buy this issue? I'm not one to EVER pull the race card, but I am using it right now. They really should be ashamed of themselves. That shot of Joan in the bathroom is appalling. Don't even get me started on the Ihop weave shot. I can't deal with this right now. UGH.

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

HD Backstage video

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valliaddict View Post
You know what? I was going to buy this until I saw the full editorial. I have now lost a ton of respect for Franca & Meisel. Do they honestly expect that putting a black girl on the cover, then mocking black people, is going to make black people want to go out & buy this issue? I'm not one to EVER pull the race card, but I am using it right now. They really should be ashamed of themselves. That shot of Joan in the bathroom is appalling. Don't even get me started on the Ihop weave shot. I can't deal with this right now. UGH.
I'm not even sure this is mocking black people only. It seems to "make fun of" trailer trash people, fast food culture, etc. But the graffiti fonts and the baggy pants and such definitely seem to refer to "ghetto fabulous" and I certainly understand (black) people being offended by it! And I agree with you that this is a complete mess, and definitely not a "haute" one. I'm sure it was fun to do for all the people involved but the result is more than confusing and appalling. What message is this supposed to send? I don't find it funny, I don't see the creativity here and I truly hate this.

But I adore Summerton's editorial

07-03-2012
Hell on Heels

1st : i've utterly disliked this since the first 3 gifs were posted on vogue.it as a preview, i actually didn't understand the excitement about it around here -
now i see people are (rightfully so) hating on this but i don't see it as racist? Or better, i don't see it as a mocking of black people, i see it more as classist (is that even a word in english?). I see them making fun? of trailer trash and similiar types of people. Still, it looks ugly, messy pointless and just unpleasant to look at. and that shot with the fake long toenails has been giving me nightmares.

07-03-2012
tfs star

Rather than portraying a variety of "haute mess" archetypes, they put a big bulls eye on one specific type, Ghetto. It's an insensitive parody of African American women. Daphne and Lindsey look ridiculous in their shot with the blue wigs. I would be offended if I was black and I saw a white girl mocking the way people of my ethnicity dress. The concept seems to have plateaued at 10%. How expensive would it have been to shoot in a trailer park as well as a diner? The hair and makeup would certainly be simple and less time consuming. I'd say this is a flop on Vogue Italia's behalf. I will not be wasting $20.00 on this issue.

Last edited by GivenchyHomme; 07-03-2012 at 04:45 AM.
07-03-2012
tfs star

^I really don't see it as a parody tbh. Its just a concept that they borrow.

07-03-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiqary View Post
^I really don't see it as a parody tbh. Its just a concept that they borrow.
http://www.yumyucky.com/2011/03/gall...-hair-dos.html

Take a look. This is how some women actually dress.

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

I just see it as an over exaggeration of a certain style. To be quite honest, if I was part of this culture/style, what would offend me most is the fact that people actually consider this editorial offensive.

Last edited by Nepenthes; 07-03-2012 at 05:14 AM.
07-03-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenchyHomme View Post
http://www.yumyucky.com/2011/03/gall...-hair-dos.html

Take a look. This is how some women actually dress.
I know about those pics. Still it is not a parody. Like I said, they just borrow that concept of styling for the editorial and nothing more.

07-03-2012
front row

People are just so dramatic with this editorial. C'mon just relax and chill.
I found it kind of okae, an ugly nice editorial and I might buy this issue. I am black myself and I am not offended because, how the next black can dress or talk doesn't determinine who i am or the whole black community. "Haute Mess" is everywhere in every communities. People just relax.

V.I.P.

Haute mess is a hot mess and not in a good way. I liked the cover and gifs, but when I read that the ed was 30+ pages I became concerned that Meisel could not pull of the theme for that many pages and I was right. However what I expected was to see some good and great images interspersed with bad and mediocre ones, yet what I am seeing is an editorial that consists mostly of mediocre images.

Last edited by agee; 07-03-2012 at 08:28 AM.
07-03-2012
backstage pass

Haha I like it! It's a total over kill of the whole idea but it's funny, some what creative, and finally something I don't think we've seen before.

07-03-2012
don't look down

I don't mind Vogue Italia touching on the issue of bad taste, what I do mind is when the result is as dull as this. Dressing people up in a cavalcade of tackiness and having them stand around a diner... am I supposed to be impressed by the team sticking on false nails and using four shades of eyeshadow on a bunch of models? There are people who actually put their heart and soul into dressing like this, and this flat pastiche doesn't really say much in comparison. I see none of the wit that was present in stories such as the plastic surgery one. Perhaps they didn't want to go too far with it, in which case, so much for going "over the top".
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, italia, joan, march, meisel, smalls, steven, vogue