How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2012
tfs star

I really don't see the editorial as a mockery of how poor people dress. It's about poor taste exaggerated to the max. I also don't think this editorial has anything to do with African Americans. If anything, it's about cholas.

07-03-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
I really don't see the editorial as a mockery of how poor people dress. It's about poor taste exaggerated to the max. I also don't think this editorial has anything to do with African Americans. If anything, it's about cholas.
Take a look at the pics in this link and let me know if you still feel the same way...
http://fashin.livejournal.com/651960...342#t263820342

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post

The styling is lifted almost literally from those of stereotypically "ghetto" black women, so I think you're wrong there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
Take a look at the pics in this link and let me know if you still feel the same way...
http://fashin.livejournal.com/651960...342#t263820342

We posted the exact same link at the exact same time.

Last edited by _incognito; 07-03-2012 at 06:39 PM.
07-03-2012
fashion elite

We think alike. But it really sends the perfect message about the "inspiration" for this mess.

V.I.P.

Loving Haute Mess!

tfs star

Never knew the candy wrappers in the hair was a real thing. Thought it was just for the sake of the editorial. What a strange thing to do.

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

Thanks for the full review, tentalicious. I do care and am interested

So this is another controversial story by Meisel. Don't know if it was their intention to show it just as it is, but there's something provocative about it which makes seers uncomfortable. And I wouldn't call it 'haute' mess. It's just a mess.
BTW, I'm admiring how far Meisel can go from the classic and picturesque to this. A chameleon.

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
Wow at some comments in this thread. How how on earth is he "mocking" the black community? Meisel simply made reference to an urban culture of dressing, now when you call it from "black people", then you're generalizing because guetto =/= black people. It will be the same thing if he made an editorial with Harajuku references, aonother well known over the top dressing up couture, would that be offensive too? Meisel and Franca are always bringing elements from the street and pop/urban cultures to the pages of the magazine, but people always have to jump on the race issue for everything, even with a fashion editorial. What's next, calling them racist now?
Thank you.

07-03-2012
rising star

Meisel could've really done something amazing with this. I know that poor black people's creativity is mocked, but there are some really creative and artistic things that black "ghetto" hair stylists are doing, way more creative than "high" fashion hair types like LeMindu for example. Meisel could've shown the beauty, and unique artistry in some of these hair pieces. Instead, he just literally copies and pastes on the models, and thinks its enough. I guess he was just going for a cheap laugh.

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
Exactly. I was waiting to see the editorial before jumping to this conclusion but its pretty obvious to people who have seen this in real life. Theres more than one way to be a hot mess but they focused on poking fun at a particular segment of the black community in America. I'm not expecting people from outside the US to fully grasp this (Franca gets a pass i guess), but Meisel knew damned well what he was doing with this particular story. I'm sure many African Americans, of all walks of life, will be deeply offended by this. Some already were when they saw the previews.

Black people with questionable taste are hardly ever called tacky, they are referred to as ghetto (which some people in this thread have already eluded to or blatantly said) and thats exactly what this ed is making fun of. Don't even get me started on the fact that they chose THIS ed/issue to finally put a black women on the cover again. That leaves a particularly bad taste in my mouth because it kind of takes away some of the the sparkle and reverence of Joan's major achievement imo. She deserved better...
you both have said it all. I am disgusted, and therefore will not be purchasing this issue
whereas, I had originally had all intentions of supporting Joan
I don't want the sales to reflect this as being "acceptable"

07-03-2012
V.I.P.

woah!!! this editorial is quite appalling. From the previews I thought it would be more just having fun but this is completely mocking the poor communities of America. Not just black or hispanic, but there are white women who do this as well. I see nothing artistic about this nor anything appealing, and I am trying to figure out why Joan agreed to do this, especially growing up around this as a New Yorker. Im black and from the upper middle class suburbs but even I find this offensive.

I can only imagine the direction they were given during the shoot. I have lost some respect for Joan and Patt. I am also not understanding grocery shopping in a diner

07-03-2012
trendsetter

http://rubyshimmer.tumblr.com/post/18936190497
its obvious, really obvious

then again it's from italia, where they casted only 1 token colored girl for each show

fashion insider

This "haute mess " editorial is stupid and I resent anyone who is a part of it. i will never again support anything Joan Small related cause she is an idiot for being involved with this. No wonder she got the cover.

Vogue Italia thinks because they did the "Black issue" it gives them a pass? please

Last edited by retailqueen; 08-03-2012 at 02:50 AM.
08-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retailqueen View Post
i will never again support anything Joan Small related cause she is an idiot for being involved with this. No wonder she got the cover.
Too harsh, don't you think?

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonmouth13 View Post
Too harsh, don't you think?
Nope. Integrity is priceless. I know working with Miesel is a privilege, blah blah but this is disappointing

Then again maybe she sees no problem with the editorial, good for her. Its her career/life.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, italia, joan, march, meisel, smalls, steven, vogue