Vogue Italia March 2017 : Lulu by Steven Meisel - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

2 Weeks Ago
fashion insider

e-commerce cover...? They should've done this 5 years ago!

2 Weeks Ago
MON
V.I.P.

I don't like it. Hideous at best. This feels like a last minute concept. The layout feels undone. The fonts used are uninspired. It feels empty. And the layout doesn't feel genuine. There should be a space for "ads" and a side menu. And the "add to cart" buttons refer to which look exactly? And the Steven Meisel review... totally misplaced.

And "CLICK".. you could get a better font for that?

This actually made those terrible Madonna covers look good. I'd give them that. Still buying it though since it's his first issue

Truly disappointed. But the question is, is this truly 100% the new EIC? Or is this still under Franca's directions with him just being in the masthead?

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Maybe the new EIC wants to do more social commentary-style covers, they'd have to work a little harder to pick up themes though. I'd say Bella's Sept 16' cover was more commentary than this one.

2 Weeks Ago
trendsetter

Please Meisel, I want you here every month! Emanuel should make that happen. Thanks Mark for posting first Reminds me Catalog 2000 and the collections on IVC.

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

I don't care how boring this model is, I'm thrilled Meisel is back and this is the first Emanuel issue

2 Weeks Ago
fashion insider

I actually don't think that we should have Meisel every months anymore. He should have dedicated issues (the most important ones) but the new EIC needs to find two new other photographers that will perpetuate the VI aesthetic or the "new VI" aesthetic.
The strength of Meisel is his versatility and his eye for new faces. His position is important to establish new girls and for beautiful portraits but a new EIC means a new era and they will fail if they try to recreate the past.

Maybe they should keep Solve Sundsbo alongside Meisel but that's all. More lesser-known photographers like Michal Pudelka, Gregory Harris..etc.

2 Weeks Ago
fashion insider

^
I think Charlotte Wales would compliment VI quite nicely...her POP covers/editorials are stunning

2 Weeks Ago
rising star

For me, it's too much going on in this cover. It sounds like a great idea, but the texts behind the logo disturbs me. I wish the whole layout were put out differently...

Last edited by StockholmFW; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:18 AM.
2 Weeks Ago
front row

I think Lulu is a very underwhelming choice for a first cover... By the way she looks on the cover I think of Natalia Vodianova or maybe even Milla Jovovich would have been way more effective and you'd feel more presence.

2 Weeks Ago
tfs star

Hum... strange cover. I don't mind the "concept" but the cover looks empty ! my eyes are attracted by the face of the model and that's all. The layout is off balance.

front row

The time of Meisel dominating Vogue Italia is over. Franca decided that a year before she died, and I highly doubt the new EIC will cede that much creative control to a single photographer, no matter how legendary he is.There are many amazing photographers who could be, and should be shooting for Vogue. They should be given a chance to shine in their own way, without being in the shadow of Meisel, who truth be told has been phoning it in for years. Contrary to vocal faction on this forum, there have been quite a few great Vogue Italia covers, since Franca decided to put a leash on Meisel. Sorry not sorry, but he is not some infallible god of fashion. This reductive cover is just more proof of that.

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Well they did pick the right model for this as Lulu is incredibly boring. E-Commerce model shots are never particularly exciting, so I think the execution works here. I dont love it, but I do appreciate it.

2 Weeks Ago
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
Well they did pick the right model for this as Lulu is incredibly boring. E-Commerce model shots are never particularly exciting, so I think the execution works here. I dont love it, but I do appreciate it.
if we're going to think along those lines you're right cause she's incredibly stale and blank indeed absolutely nothing whatever special about her

instagram/kwm_nyc

just looking at this digital of hers confirms it...

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

I am just imagining what would have happened if this was shot by someone else... this thread would have been on fire but Meisel still gets so much forgiveness here... it is kind of hilarious... I literally prefer every single non-Meisel cover to this... even the ugly ones because this one is the ugliest, reductive and dated...

2 Weeks Ago
MON
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
but the new EIC needs to find two new other photographers that will perpetuate the VI aesthetic or the "new VI" aesthetic.
I 100% agree with this. It's time to find someone new. NEW. not M&M, Testino, Weber ++. I thoroughly enjoyed that issue with Mariacarla photographed by new photographers. They need to use someone fresh. A new era with a new perspective. Meisel here and there would be okay (March September).

Yes Meisel is no irreplaceable god in fashion, but considering the crap Non-Meisel issues this magazine has been producing, then might as well give me the worst and most uninspired issue Meisel could produce and I'm sold. It's not him that's the issue. The point is, how come VI is so put together with him while so lost when they're using someone else. Remember the laugh issue? The Jaden Smith issue? the China issue? The dog issue? Utter crap

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2017, italia, lulu, march, meisel, steven, vogue