How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

I don't like the shot they chose for the cover and yes! too much photoshop. Anyway, I actually like the editorial, something different and interesting from my point of view.

It isn't awesome or amazing though. And that's what I expect from Meisel. Best VI cover for me this year is still january.

06-05-2009
fashion insider

I'm always happy to see supermodels of our era in major magazine covers and Sasha never fails to deliver

The cover I like not love because of this flower thing...but the styling is great. And so far I'm still not tired of the theme...but two times in a row is too much.

06-05-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by testinofan View Post
I gree the cover is baad and the expresion face of Sasha is the same of the all vogue covers of she no good cover, the editorial is good have a good colors.But i think is better Morroco story in morroco no in studio and theecenografy is bad and cheap, maybe is better the story of Daria in VogueUK in morroco show the ecence of the place
I HAPPEN TO KNOW THAT IV DEMANDED AN LOCATION STORY, THEY WOULDN'T PAY FOR ONE , AND WOULD ONLY PAY FOR A ONE DAY STUDIO .I THINK HE DID A MARVELOUS STORY IN ONE DAY USING HIS OWN PICTURES FROM A TRIP IN MORROCO ....PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
^Not the editorial but Sasha only-girl with gaudy colours and different lights lying there looking at you out of the magazine similar poses. It's not like I compared the editorial two hours and made a similarities- and differences chart an it just feels too similar for me even if I'm the only one. I just don't need to see that again.

Photographer and style? That's what I don't get because I didn't write anything about his style since I think Meisel doesn't really have a signature style.

ETA: BerlinRocks I researched for the Memphis Belle Epoque editorial and I have to admit they aren't really similar but I just had those two pictures where Sasha was lying in my mind and yeah that's where it came from. Maybe I'm just not as happy about Sasha as I thought I would be.
MAYBE HIS STILE IS TS TAKING BEAUTIFUL PICTURES OF BEAUTIFUL MODELS LYING DOWN ....I GUESS THAT'S TERRIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith Akiyama View Post
Echoes the Supreme show package for sure, but a stunning set. I just wish the Ingres-inspired shot was the cover instead...the extra flower prints make it seem like he has flaws in the photograph that need to be hidden.
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE AWFUL MODEL CARDS, AND NOTHING WAS SECRETLY COVERED UP AS A MISTAKE , WOW

Last edited by sethii; 06-05-2009 at 10:44 PM.
06-05-2009
backstage pass

^There's no need to shout every word

And Faith, Marcel, and testinofan were just expressing their own opinions, you don't have to be rude or condescending...

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fini View Post
^There's no need to shout every word

And Faith, Marcel, and testinofan were just expressing their own opinions, you don't have to be rude or condescending...
I agree... aren't people allowed to express thier opinion anymore!!! geez!!!!

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadabelle View Post
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE AWFUL MODEL CARDS, AND NOTHING WAS SECRETLY COVERED UP AS A MISTAKE , WOW
Covered up or not, honestly only Meisel himself knows. No one else will know

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

I like the cover, its very arabic and a bit weird looking but It is one of the best covers recently.

06-05-2009
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadabelle View Post

Faith wasn't implying that it was covered up, simply that it looked like that.

Same with the modeling cards. You gotta admit that the theme, saturated colors, and set up are similar

06-05-2009
windowshopping

I can't believe people seriously think this was inspired by Supreme's tacky show package.

Still kind of lame, though. Meisel isn't delivering lately. Not for VI anyway, I've only truly enjoyed maybe two or three of his stories in the last year. Maybe the time is coming...

06-05-2009
old-fashioned

who is the art director who had the terrible idea of putting that floral pattern on the cover? the picture itself is beautiful (and i agree with whoever said it looks like sasha styled it herself - great to see her in VI again by the way), but the final result is a bit disappointing. the ed is good though.

backstage pass

Some people need to take a chill pill and relax...
Anyways I think the cover is just fine and would definitely be better without the aggravating flower motif (it actually reminds me of those templates you use in Powerpoint presentations) and the main ed is better, especially the last shot, but although there is certainly a Moroccan vibe it isn't ambitious or luxurious enough so in that sense it's just pretty fashion photography.

07-05-2009
-- aGGravaTion de caS --

Good Cover, and sooo good to see sasha! Love it

V.I.P.

Quote:
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE AWFUL MODEL CARDS,
Quote:
I can't believe people seriously think this was inspired by Supreme's tacky show package.
I agree with both of you ...
To me, this has nothing to do with this package. The package was very cliché (and mostly linked to Moroccan Nights like they could be shown in an épopée movie) ...

Anyway ...

I don't know too why people are comparing this to Eliza's previous cover when obviously there's nothing to do with this. What's the common point btw a recession-style spread and a story which tells about a white woman on holidays in Morocco ?

I would have followed the few people here who complain about Meisel not using a 'minority' model ... But then again, it's a woman on VACATIONS in Morocco ! And though, it could sound very pathetic in an american magazine (vogue US Natalia in Morocco), it feels pretty natural, to me, in an european magazine as Morocco is a very common summer destination in Europe.
Meisel and unkwn stylist cast two arabian-looking male models ... And those boys could be the 'odalisque' slaves. Meisel pretty changed the usual roles (some european women more and more go to Africa to find some lovers).

About it being shot in a studio ... Well c'mone it's not like it's a plain studio shot. It looks more like an interior shot than a studio shot. And I don't understand why 'interior' story would be a problem ? Why would it better to shoot outside ? [Interior shot] is one interesting direction, imo and a change - compared to other north-african casual shots.

It looks like a book you could DIY after your vacations overhere.

Now, I don't think this is a great story and I do prefer the past month story ... But this one is far from being that bad and far from worthing all the bad critics I've read here and that I barely read somewhere else when bad and boring stories should get those critics !

And I don't know if this counts .... BUT Italia is currently having some sort immigration issues and a very harsch policy (and behaviours) with foreigners ... Maybe when you know that you can 'see' this story diffrently ...
Though I doubt there is something linked ....

07-05-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post

Are daffodils particularly symbolic of anything Moroccan? I must research this, out of pure curiosity.
i believe daffodils originated in spain, southern france, portugal, northern morocco and then became widely spread around the world.
some species though can still be found only in morocco.
i don't know if there's really any symbolism here.. maybe

07-05-2009
No One Does It Like You.

when i saw the thread title i was all hyped up but then i saw the edit... and then the cover...

and thats it. im not gonna buy this. that odalisque-like shot with a bare bum is pretty vulgar to me, .

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. such a waste.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, italia, meisel, pivovarova, sasha, steven, vogue