How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadabelle View Post
I HAPPEN TO KNOW THAT IV DEMANDED AN LOCATION STORY, THEY WOULDN'T PAY FOR ONE , AND WOULD ONLY PAY FOR A ONE DAY STUDIO .I THINK HE DID A MARVELOUS STORY IN ONE DAY USING HIS OWN PICTURES FROM A TRIP IN MORROCO ....PLEASE
That's interesting. How do you know that?

07-05-2009
clever ain't wise

Well. That's a sad state of affairs for VI. You'd think that they'd get exotic location shoots paid for once in a while....what a drag. Especially in these times....a little bit of escapism would hit the spot.

Actually, that is the type of info that makes this editorial sadly poetic....there's one of the best models of our time, photographed by the most famous fashion photographer, holding up a daffodil to add that "exotic" dimension...about what any hobby photographer has to resort to to get a few shadows in the right place...

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 07-05-2009 at 04:55 AM.
07-05-2009
don't look down

If that's true, it explains everything that seems wrong to me about that editorial.

V.I.P.

Quote:
MAYBE HIS STILE IS TS TAKING BEAUTIFUL PICTURES OF BEAUTIFUL MODELS LYING DOWN ....I GUESS THAT'S TERRIBLE
By saying I don't think Meisel has a signature style I was actually meaning that I like that his shoots are always different (except for US Vogue). eventhough you can tell him apart from other big photographers.

Oh god I like Meisel too trust me but who are you the aggressive Meisel-police? Seriously calm down..he's not god.

Last edited by tocceve; 07-05-2009 at 06:56 AM.
07-05-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
That's interesting. How do you know that?
MY FRIEND USED TO WORK THERE , I JUST THINK PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THE REALITY OF THE BUSINESS

07-05-2009
V.I.P.

^I think many people at tFS understand the reality of this business.

I'm looking forward to seeing Eva's editorial. Sasha's doesn't excite me in anyway.

V.I.P.

Quote:
MY FRIEND USED TO WORK THERE , I JUST THINK PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THE REALITY OF THE BUSINESS
jadabelle you should stop the capitals ...
seriously !
people would think you're being agressive and not that it's a typo style !

07-05-2009
front row

I dunno if all this new info helps, god knows what even struggling photographers have to go through, so I can't say oh poor Steven Meisel didnt get a million dollar budget, cryy.
Meisel's recent work is still overloaded with photoshop gimmicks that hide his art and models. Period. But if he hid the likes of Peaches and Eliza under 5 layers of color manipulation and giant art patterns, I wouldnt mind. But Sasha should be able to stand on her own.

07-05-2009
V.I.P.

by the way ...
don't know if this been said ...
fashion editor = Marie-Amélie Sauvé

07-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:

MAYBE HIS STILE IS TS TAKING BEAUTIFUL PICTURES OF BEAUTIFUL MODELS LYING DOWN ....I GUESS THAT'S TERRIBLE
the only thing i can argue with of this post is this one thought. i definitely agree with Marcel 100%, despite the fact i am a very die hard Meisel fan. He doesn't have a distinguished, recognizable style & i think why most people have a problem with Meisel is because of how established he is; you would think you could recognize Meisel's work at first glance, with being the biggest photographer of the moment AND because everything he does is deemed genius. You know Meisel's work because you know Meisel is THE photographer of italian vogue, prada, etc., not because of how it was shot. The direction of his photography, the glamour and the models he uses all are factors one could play close attention to, to differentiate Meisel from a Mert & Marcus, I&V, Steven Klein etc. and vice versa... This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but definitely not a positive because most of the biggest fashion photographers right now don't have the most striking work.

Idk, but for me, the only fashion photog. working now who has the most distinguished work is Camilla Akrans.

Last edited by Mchunu; 07-05-2009 at 10:56 AM.
07-05-2009
V.I.P.

Meisel definately has a style. It might be hard to recognise because it's disguised by the amazing variety of themes he works with. Anyway it's there and you can see it in his exacting compositions and a lack of natural poses in his models - well these are the defining elements from my perspective.

Last edited by sethii; 07-05-2009 at 11:04 AM.
07-05-2009
V.I.P.

well i guess it depends on what you would call "style"

i would think the themes are more so geared toward art directors, creative team etc. but maybe i'm wrong...and i just said it was hard to recognize for those who don't follow his work!

ETA:..lack of natural poses? hmm..i don't know, I&V & every other fashion photographer, much? ..for me, what sets Steven apart is this hip glamour his work has and a little something else that's more insightful, to me.

anyway, i love Meisel so...

Last edited by Mchunu; 07-05-2009 at 11:16 AM.
07-05-2009
clever ain't wise

Well, what he's really good at and always succeeds with is extracting the essence of someone else's style. Sometimes it seems to be only that, sometimes it's more than that (or maybe it just seems that way because I don't know all his refs, lol).

07-05-2009
V.I.P.

In other words, he can be GREATLY overrated, but when good he is brilliant.

07-05-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal-Galliano View Post
when i saw the thread title i was all hyped up but then i saw the edit... and then the cover...

and thats it. im not gonna buy this. that odalisque-like shot with a bare bum is pretty vulgar to me, .

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. such a waste.
wow. i cannot disagree more. this is amazing. very rich looking and if what jadabelle said is right, it looks like it did cost a lot of money. rich colors and fabrics. I love sasha and it looks like her - she is not retouched to death like some of the girls have been in other meisel stories. i also love the guys! espically the one from the givenchy ads. he looks great, although sasha doesnt seem to act well with them. Also this is a bathing suit story! please keep in mind. i have never seen a swimsotry like this anyway. very original. i do agree that the cover graphics are not great. he should hire a different art director. it looks to amature.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, italia, meisel, pivovarova, sasha, steven, vogue