How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

i don't even know this package everyone is talking about ...
and judging from the image posted before it makes me wanna go to the toilets ... it's horrible ! and soooo old looking !

but c'mone it's not like north-africa is not a common subject ...

ETA : it's here : http://www.suprememanagement.com/being/?p=2906
and it has nothing to do with this editorial - that is way much better than this old very commercial looking supreme package ...

Last edited by BerlinRocks; 06-05-2009 at 11:21 AM.

06-05-2009
she's got the look

I was expecting something edgier.

V.I.P.

I am not liking the cover, or Sasha for that matter.

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

argh awful cover, i hate that shade of green and she is getting boring for me

fashion elite

I wish a different model would have been used, but Sasha's ed not the cover is gorgeous especially the colours.

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
What a weird comment. Of course it's the cover. And it's FAR from poorly done.
the photoshop brushes make it looks so amateur. not a fan at all.

06-05-2009
secret garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
^what other eds from the last half year were inspired by that Supreme package? I'm curious to know.

Off the top of my head I would say that Eliza's Vogue Italia cover was also the same sort of Arabian Nights-esque sort of thing. I need a moment (and come coffee) to think of more but I feel as though we've seen all this before.

06-05-2009
girl with the most cake

I love the cover and Sasha's edito!

06-05-2009
tfs star

Love the prada makeup on her. I like the ed too.

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

The editorial is gorgeous, I too wish Meisel would've used location...although we all know we only shoots in America so the authenticity would be gone.

Anyway I can't open the thumbnails but I like what I see, although this whole Travel theme is getting tired at this exact time of year IMO.

06-05-2009
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
I'm a little tired of this Moroccan drag theme that seems to be popping up ever since the Supreme package. The package itself was stellar but now everyone has jumped on this bandwagon. First time around it seems intriguing, second time around it seems amusing, third and fourth time it just seems like the same old boring cultural appropriation that fashion falls back on every other season. It's amazing. Finding an Arab high fashion model is this impossible struggle yet dressing up a girl from Moscow as a Bedouin is high art. Lazy. Lazy. Lazy.

And then six months from now it will be all about the indigenous people of Australia or maybe the Kayapo tribe. How chic!

Wake me when this is over. Meisel has a gift but I just find this sort of thing so prevalent in fashion and so goddamn boring.
Thank you! I don't get the praise for this. I like Sasha too, but just because she got a cover doesn't mean its automatically good. A lot of people seem to just be happy about her existence and not the actual product.

As for the cover itself, I am just not feeling it. Thematically, it is very similar to the Supreme showcards and the Eliza cover which was just a month ago. And frankly, I think the Eliza cover worked better. The tone and ambiance really captured the concept. It felt romantic and timeless. This cover doesn't achieve that IMO. The makeup and hood make Sasha almost look like a boxer, not a wanderer from Morocco. Also, the flowers look a paint brush a 4th grader would use on photoshop to create their Jonas Brothers wallpaper. It just doesn't look professional. It looks hastily done and cheap.

I know Supreme didn't invent photo shoots based on Arabian nights, but they did revitalize the subject and make it popular again. Of course, the recent trend of harem pants also plays a role, but these eds are similar not only in content but in style too. The saturated colors, the obviously artificial sets. I do think that the inside photos are better than the cover (the flowers really bother me). I just think the ed fails at what it is trying to do: a romantic portrayal of this middle eastern imagery (after all, odalisque's were sex slaves). In the end, I think that Supreme did it better and Meisel did it better with Eliza.

Also, just a pet peeve I guess, the ring she is wearing on the cover is so obviously too big for her. I guess it's a styling error but it ruins the illusion to see all that excess space around her finger.

06-05-2009
backstage pass

Beautiful cover and editorial... Shame I'll have to wait another month to get it though!

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackos View Post
The cover is nice, but I'm not really crazy about it
My thoughts exactly. I'm only in this thread for the ride.
I'm not feeling Sasha's editorial yet. But I look forward to seeing Eva's.

tfs star

can't wait to get this, WAY better than Eliza's bohemian-thing cover

congratulations, nerds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocked View Post
can't wait to get this, WAY better than Eliza's bohemian-thing cover
I actually preferred Eliza's cover. Sasha looks bored and lifeless, and to be quite honest she looks generic here; something that Sasha can never normally be accused off.
All the cover art around the cover is okay, but it seems like VI are trying to make whats actually a very dull cover an interesting one.
The inside editorial isn't much better either, both Sasha, Meisel and VI should have done so much better than this. It looks half done, the execution just isn't there.
In fact, the whole thing looks like outtakes from what should have been a much stronger shoot.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, italia, meisel, pivovarova, sasha, steven, vogue