How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Visualizing Fashion / Magazines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-05-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiqary View Post
Wow, love it! She looks good. But not feeling the flower thing...
Same here... It looks like cheap wallpaper to me

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

aside from the use of photoshop's default brushes, I think that a different model would have made the cover a little more bearable

while Sasha is very striking and can capture emotion in photographs really well, I wish they would have picked a model that looked a little more innocent and naive to kind of have the feeling of wandering and being lost

the other shots in the ed are nicer than the cover though, wish they would have picked one of those instead

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

^Nimue Smit would have been a fantastic choice.

I still can't get over how they ruined the cover. I can't wait to see HQs from art+commerce without those stupid effects.

06-05-2009
trendsetter

I don't love it. The flowery swirls are beyond cheap and make the whole thing look like a scrapbook entry. If they would have eliminated that element, it would have been a successful cover. Sasha looks superelegant and feline. She can even make the mediocre styling look superb ! The whole Moroccan Orientalism theme is so had, especially in this case where it is SO literally done. I would have preferred to see something more modern with exotic styling than this total odd throwback. I have a feeling that all of this Orientalism is coming from the very Eastern Louis Vuitton Spring 2009 collection....

Last edited by vavavinny; 06-05-2009 at 02:52 PM.
06-05-2009
fashion insider

I love the graphic art.

06-05-2009
trendsetter

Sasha's edit is MUCH better than the cover. I LOVE the gorgeous saturated colors. So stunning! But still, there is nothing at all contemporary about the shoot. It is very dated. Right down to the poses. It looks like a Vreeland Vogue shoot on acid.

girl with the most cake

"Moroccan Holiday" HQs

extracted by me from style.it

06-05-2009
Alluring

I'm not sure if I love the idea of studio shots mixed with the photos from real world, and I guess I don't. They could have at least shot the whole thing outside, now it's a bit weird and not only a little bit boring.

06-05-2009
the power of will

I'm also not such a big fan of the flower pattern on the cover, I'm kinda bored with it already. I love Sasha's editorial and the Supreme showcards inspriartion in it though The colours are so strong, that's gorgeous!

Stop wherever you find yourself.
06-05-2009
fashion insider

Finally an issue worth buying for 50$ Canadian!
The editorial is so well done, I could care less if it's already been done.
The colors are so vibrant and the styling DEAD on!
I'll surely be getting this!

06-05-2009
V.I.P.

there is one thing... to me Sasha always looks good even more GREAT but is this cover good? No! I think all these "themes" that Meisel is playing around with for Vogue Italia become a bit boring.... and all these photo copies of famous paintings and themes... let's do just fashion for a change... I miss good FASHION editorials... with models showing clothes but not acting... some simplicity... I like acting but it is bit overwhelming these days... and if we want arty stuff there is an awful lot of arty+fashion magazines... anyway....

Last edited by KissMiss; 06-05-2009 at 03:25 PM.
06-05-2009
don't look down

The editorial is half-made of landscape clippings from Casa Vogue... it looks like Sasha was dressed up and shot against a cardboard background, and the landscape inserts were added to create the atmosphere.

Did they decide an actual location shot would be too much of a cliche? I think it would have been something to behold.

In theory, I like that Meisel is exploring an Arabian/Moorish theme in recent issues, but I haven't been inspired to keep him company on where he's going with it.

V.I.P.

^If you want models just showing clothes, if you want some simplicity you should buy US Vogue. Meisel has been shooting for VI for 20 years know, you can't expect him to only shoot 'boring' studio eds. I don't see why it's boring that every month he comes up with something different... It's boring if he's doing the same thing every month!

06-05-2009
fashion insider

Took the words right out my mouth^

06-05-2009
don't look down

But there IS nothing experimental in the actual photography for this editorial - there are models wearing clothes against a very sparse background, that's it.

The landscape inserts have been added in the page layout stage, and if Meisel is directing this sort of collage design, to be honest, there are people out there who are much better at it.

Meisel is a master of studio photography, not putting silly effects on the front cover. I don't know why his Vogue Italia editorials are going this direction, his work doesn't need it (or shouldn't). Maybe he's bored with himself.

Last edited by tigerrouge; 06-05-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2009, italia, meisel, pivovarova, sasha, steven, vogue